Sponsored by:

911 hits 944 video

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 01:23 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like the Subie might have aquaplaned. What kind of tires was he running? That was a pretty high speed section of the course, and he really didn;t seem to be entering a turn. Sounded like he was still hard on the gas. I did notice him make a small movement of the wheel that might have been just enough to get the car rotating.

Even with 4WD, once the tires break loose all bets are off. You're pretty much just tumbling dice at that point. That was nasty.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:38 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy it sure looks to me like the 911 is way at fault. Bad driving! Stuff like that really bothers me.

The subie ... WTH? It didn't look like he did anything, no puddles on the track, etc. My only guess is agreeing with JCP and hydroplaning. You can see that he is above 100 and with worn rear tires, they would let loose first and ... cha cha cha ... biff!
Old 03-14-2005, 02:46 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

So these two videos bring to mind the statement of our illustrious former DE chair who was known to remark on many occasions something to the effect that, "if you're on the track and you're struck by lightening, that is an accident, everything else is driver error." Clearly, in the Subie case this is true. I wonder, though, if the unfortunately driver of the 944 wasn't indeed struck by lightening in this case ( a direct result of driver error though IMO).
Old 03-14-2005, 03:36 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

911 at fault for sure. 944 sure looks like he held line. Probably carried too much speed. Inside pass in tantamount to an early apex, and you have to adjust accordingly or you will go wide at exit.... my vote on what the red car did.

BTW I hope this was a race. People keep talking aobut DE, but if this was DE that pass way way, waaay illegal.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Skunk Workz
Pro

It was a RoadSport class race...run in Scandinavia...the class is a "gentleman class" where the rules are laid out in such a way paint trading should barely ever happen. Yeah,right...
Old 03-14-2005, 09:30 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure looks like it's the 911's fault. Did that 944 end up on its roof? Hard to tell from the clip.

WRX - OUCH!

Richard
Old 03-14-2005, 10:26 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wish I could post my in car video from this past weekend at Summit Point. Going into the chute I had a great view of a nice 944T spin and come to a stop mid track broad side on line. You gotta love Big Reds. No carnage. Just more lessons learned.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:43 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keith,
Nice work by you and several others to avoid carnage in the Chute. Talked to the 951 driver & her instructor after the incident. They also had a good view of the guys barreling down on her, all of which managed to avoid contact. Most impressive was the 911 immediately behind the 951 that took the dirt option and emerged without a scratch, and a couple that followed soon after, probably including you. Nice work!

FWIW, Potomac's 3 day event was completely damage free. No car to car or car to fixed object damage, which is all the more impressive when the conditions were difficult at times. Its certainly the first time I've started a run in sunshine, had rain then hail, then snow in a session, and finished on an almost dry track. Incredible!
Old 03-14-2005, 11:42 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish I could have been there! Maybe I will have some decent weather for the FATT this Friday.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:13 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tony I was in the first car behind the 944T and furtunately had given the car a bit of a cushion since it was a no passing zone for our run group. I think the result could have been much different otherwise. I spoke to the guy who took the alternate route behind me also and I have no idea how he did what he did. I imagine he not only avoided the 944T but he also avoided my 993TT going the other direction. Again very fortunate. Everyone seemed to liked the video especially her husband .

Jim (Forklift) look forward to seeing you at a future event.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:50 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

In my book: If there is an incident between two cars the faster car's driver is always to blame.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:22 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The second video is not of an Impreza, I think it is of an Honda Civic. It is from a Swedish track meet and the drivers who were out taking it easy waiting for the rain to stop.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:22 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was the instructor in the Targa that took the "alternate" route dirt track in the chute. My student and I had a very short discussion as to fitting on the right with the other 911 or having the (dirt) road to our selves. All worked out OK, there was no damage to his Targa and I did not notice and biologically based bad smells coming from my student afterwards so he passed the underwear test too.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:13 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

What you see in the 944 vid is a guy getting in too hot. What you hear is rubber snards hitting the wheelwells when he pushes wide into the marbles. What you then see is a lame-brained driver in a 911 COMPLETELY stick his head up his a$$. The 944 can't be in very good shape after the roll.

DE 101: Never chop someone off after a pass. Nothing would have happened to EITHER if he hadn't, save for a litte trip through the grass for the '44. The 911 driver should be made to pay for ALL the damages, and then be BARRED from motorpsorts. He's a complete idiot.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey;

What you see in the 944 vid is a guy getting in too hot. What you hear is rubber snards hitting the wheelwells when he pushes wide into the marbles. What you then see is a lame-brained driver in a 911 COMPLETELY stick his head up his a$$. The 944 can't be in very good shape after the roll.

DE 101: Never chop someone off after a pass. Nothing would have happened to EITHER if he hadn't, save for a litte trip through the grass for the '44. The 911 driver should be made to pay for ALL the damages, and then be BARRED from motorpsorts. He's a complete idiot.
John - Don't hold back - tell us how you really feel!

-Z.

Quick Reply: 911 hits 944 video