Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit Point DE

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 11:35 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

NNJR also likes to put 60+ cars in a run group (IE: VIR in November). Talk about trains. If you were there you know what I am talking about. It was still fun though 8))
Old 03-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was an unusual situation. Generally NNJR runs efficient events. My only complaint is that they make you work a whole day a lot of times. Who wants to do that? Especially when I get to work Sunday on 3 day events when I have to drive 7 hours home! And I know it isn't necessary because other clubs don't make you work nearly as much.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:44 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you want to work as flaggers for 4 driving sessions rain or shine? I have to do that before I start instructing in the good old days when most clubs can't afford to pay for pro flaggers.

Working at pit out is not too bad (I think that's what NNJR ask students to do).

In most if not all PCA DE events, instructors pay to attend the event too. I think it is fair for the non-instructor drivers to do some work.

There are clubs where instructors don't have to pay to attend. Those club will charge more money for non-instrutors and students don't have to work.

If you don't want to work go to events that students don't work and exect to pay more.

I love going to NNJR's events because they run their events very well and you will see a lot of nice cars and people.

Kam
Old 03-07-2005, 01:13 AM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

I don't mind working at the event but when you pay $345 and you spend a good part of the session in traffic? That sucks. I came in 3 times one session only to be put back out in another train of cars.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

That's fine, I'll pay more to not work as much. When you calculate how much it costs per day to do DE (maybe $500/day or so with tires, brakes, hotel, gas, etc) the extra $30-40/event isn't that significant.

I've heard that Schattenbaum doesn't ask you work nearly as much as a non-instructor. And I know that Reisentoter generally only asks you to work 1/2 day. So it isn't necessary for NNJR to make you work a whole day. Especially if you are having trouble with your car, it makes it impossible to have fun.

I'm infinitely grateful that instructors and event organizers work so hard to put on these events. We couldn't hire someone to do those jobs. I'm not in any way diminishing the enormous contribution of these people.

My argument is that if some groups don't make you work a whole day, then why does NNJR make you work a whole day?
Old 03-07-2005, 07:05 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

I believe the NNJR region makes big money doing these events. Maybe the volunteers cut down on their expenses for running an event. They are the only group I have done a DE with that has a Club Van and matching jackets for their club officers. Be that as it may, their events are pretty good except for the overcrowded(ie more money) run groups.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As the Tower Steward of the NNJR Region for the past couple of years, I think I can bring some facts to the table regarding our DE events:

1. We have the functions and related work assignments at our DE events because we believe that it is the best way to keep our rather large events SAFE and ON SCHEDULE. We do 13 DEs each season, and it is unusual that our events are not over subscribed. Our record seems to show that our process works.

2. The Stewards, who manage each work function, try to split each day's workers into half-day shifts and usually can do so. At times, particularly in Tower, we can't split every day due to the number of workers assigned, run group sequence, experience level of workers, etc. I, and the other Stewards, always work to find a way to let a participant go do what they need to do when they have a car problem to attend to (if they let us know!).

3. If anyone "believes" we make "big money", they need to check their facts again. The Officers DO NOT have "matching jackets". We do provide a light jacket to INSTRUCTORS after they INSTRUCT at 11 of our events in a two year period.

BTW, I always find it humorous when someone says "hey, I can't help out today because I have a 7 hour drive home"....when they are talking to a group of people from Nothern New Jersey, which is mostly 8+ hours away!

See you at the track!
Old 03-08-2005, 02:51 PM
ryoji
Advanced

Where is the good place to stay with trailer (parking); comming from north for the event.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:01 PM
DCLee
Pro

Towne House Motor Lodge or NorthGate Inn, both on the main road in scenic Charles Towne.

Do not think luxury, think "survival." On the other hand, plenty of trailer parking space and both close to some of C-Towne's premier grease-pits (uh, restaurants).

Lee in D.C.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Al P.
Pro

Originally Posted by DCLee
Towne House Motor Lodge or NorthGate Inn, both on the main road in scenic Charles Towne.

Do not think luxury, think "survival." On the other hand, plenty of trailer parking space and both close to some of C-Towne's premier grease-pits (uh, restaurants).

Lee in D.C.
Don't use I-95 (unless of course you live in DC)

I-78 to I-81 is the way to go from Jersey.

Hampton Inn, Winchester, Va. (540) 667-8011 $85 / night

20(ish) minuets from the track better motels, better restaurants and a much nicer ride than coming in from C-Towne. I stayed in C-Towne once, just once.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
3. If anyone "believes" we make "big money", they need to check their facts again. The Officers DO NOT have "matching jackets". We do provide a light jacket to INSTRUCTORS after they INSTRUCT at 11 of our events in a two year period.
At Riesentoter they gave us (instructors) matching "instructor shirts" Unfortunately they make us look like we belong to a bowling team
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:46 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Old 03-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Right across from the Hampton in Winchester is Shoneys Inn. Lots of track folks also stay there. You can ask for the Summit Point rate or the Business rate and score around $60 or lower a night. Clean and way more better than the motels in Charles Town.

Shoneys: 540-665-1700
Old 03-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cris Brady
Right across from the Hampton in Winchester is Shoneys Inn. Lots of track folks also stay there. You can ask for the Summit Point rate or the Business rate and score around $60 or lower a night. Clean and way more better than the motels in Charles Town.

Shoneys: 540-665-1700
Gee, thanks for making sure that I now have to book at Shoneys an extra month in advance.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I third or fourth the Hampton Inn in Winchester. Several restaurants within walking distance, many within driving distance. Comp. breakfast is put out early enough for us track dogs.

Quick Reply: Summit Point DE