Sponsored by:

thinking about trackside support programs

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 04:50 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default thinking about trackside support programs

My Dad and I have been PCA racing going on 10 years now and have also done SM rentals as well as vintage racing. Two weekends ago, at the Sebring club race, we were part of the Musante Motorsports program. Being in Pa, we don't use Musante Motorsports for regular service (they're in Ct) but Chris had two open spots. I had never met Chris in person, but his reputation as club racer/shop owner/engine builder preceeded himself. So our car, as well as fellow 964USA cup driver Bob, went down and were supported by Musante.

What struck me was one of Chris's comments during the weekend, that he makes no money on the weekend and does it for his customers... as customer service and precise work are key in his business as Porsche owners have many options. On the drive back to the ariport Dad, Bob and I broke down the approximate costs for the weekend for Chris and his crew, transporter, lodging, etc. At first we thought he'd have to be making it worth his while, but breaking stuff down it really did barely meet. We're fully convinced that Chris does do this for his customers and is really not a way to help his bottom line. Of course a car damaged would probably be serviced at his shop, but each car came back in the condition it went down and some of the work done by Scott (Chris's mechanic) was stuff that Chris would have loved to be able to bill at his shop but the work was included in the price at track.

Anyway, this was not our first track support weekend but it was with this type of approach. It was also the best, most professional support we've ever had. We even had drivers names above the cars like the Kelly Moss boys! My point is that this relaly personified what PCA is all about, as we looked across the paddock to a full gt3RS professional effort. There were a lot of track support deals there that weekend that sure were making out on the deal, but it was freshing to be supported by a guy with such an attitude.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Mitch,
What did he charge if you dont mind sharing. I sometimes use my shop trackside (midwest eurosport) and we did the math as well, they dont make much if anything, the farther away the less they make it seems. Sebring trackside was around 2300.00 per car which included roundtrip transport and 3 days of trackside support. If anything breaks, they fix it free providing they or you can get the needed part. For local arrive and drive, I think the cost is 200.00 per day. I think it is a great value should you have something mech. happen in practice after towing for 4 hours and all the associated fees that go along with a race weekend!

Quick Reply: thinking about trackside support programs