Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the cars we'll be driving 10 years from now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 09:29 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What are the cars we'll be driving 10 years from now?

I'm posting this here as opposed to the 996/997/GT2/GT3 threads as I know this is where the knowledgeable guys hang out...

As a guy who buys used Porsches and inevitably puts them all on the track, I look at today's offerings and wonder if they will be tough enough to be track cars in 10-15 years. I had a 2001 Boxster S and in 8000 miles of my ownership it required a new engine and transmission. What mystified me about the transmission was that they basically threw out the old one and put on an entire new unit. So heres my basic question:

Are the transmissions on all the new cars unserviceable? Can you get in there and replace the dogteeth? Synchros? Change the gears if you want to? As track junkies, these are things we will want to be able to do!

Is there a difference in the transmission quality between the "consumer" Porsches (996/997) and the "enthusiasts" Porsches (GT3, Turbo, GT2) as there is in engine design/quality?

Based on my Boxster experience I'm scared to own any of the "consumer" Porsches if they are not under warranty. As such what are we going to be driving in 10-15 years if not the GT3, Turbo, and GT2s?
Old 02-16-2005, 10:14 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As it is I don't really drive my Porsches much on the street anymore. The 944S2 is really the favorite there as its perfectly suited to Boston area traffic. I no longer have any strong desire to own a street Porsche and certainly not a newer one. Forget about reliability theres all this elctronic crapola to deal with, I won't ever buy a 997S given the braniac suspension and the 19" wheels. Really should sell my 996, but its a rare bird as it doesn't have that PASM stuff and it seems like a crime to part with it for what the market is currently willing to pay. Someday it will worth so little that I won't feel bad about tracking it. Either way, assuming I don't stuff hard in the interim, I'll probably still be tracking my 1970 ten years from now. The old cars are timeless (especially when you keep rebuilding them every winter ).
Old 02-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Hard to say... As the buyer of your boxster, the only real problem I've had was the power steering system overheated. Apparently from reading the boxster boards, it's a known problem with Boxster S's. Other than that, I'm going on 4 years of hard-core DE boxster usage, and I've had very few maintenance issues with them.

Hell, in my old boxster, I changed the oil only once per year. Never had a problem with that car either (other than the wife putting it into the wall at Watkins Glen).
Old 02-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 172 Posts

993 Glass-Roof Targa, Silver with 6-speed. Saw one at the dealer, been IN LOVE with those lines ever since. Heard the roof is potentially troublesome, but, boy-oh-boy... What a great looking car.

Raindrops keep falling on my head...
Old 02-17-2005, 09:22 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

In 2015 I hope I'll be driving an '04 GT3 Cup!
....maybe then I can afford one!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:45 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well with any luck... The same cars I have now. Ok maybe just my 944 Turbo S and 944-spec.

Reason.... I can fix those darn things in my back yard. The boxsters are nice, but I am not a convertable type. 996's might be ok, but the eletricals scare me. Hell I have little eletrical issue on my 944-spec right now and even its 70's tech is pain in the rear. I can't imagine a 996's electrical problems when the wires have gotten old.

Maybe I will be wrong, but there are plenty of guys with 30 year old 911's and 914's and with rust being non existant around here I can't see why I would need to get rid of my current crop and replace it with something faster. Sure 944 NA is a little slow, but a Stock 944 Turbo S still has more than enough power for the street. Daily use I never need to use even part boost. When I want to have fun... the boost will be there.

If I did upgrade it may be to a 964 or 993. Maybe...
Old 02-17-2005, 10:53 AM
alexands
Pro

This is a great thread as I've wondered the same things myself. Newer cars are just too complicated to race but, as with supply and demand, I'm sure there will be a whole new wave of aftermarket suppliers to put these cars on the track. Even Edelbrock, the good ol' American V8 standard, is making turbo kits for late model Hondas. I just think that racing these newer cars will be much less of a DIY affair. It will require deeper pockets.

Since I'm a DIY type of guy, that leaves vintage racing (1980-1990) model cars or purpose built racers (formula Ford, CSR, DSR, etc..).

It will be inteesting to see how it plays out.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:10 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

I think the Gt3 and the 993-996-997 Cup's will be the cars to track in 10 years time, just as they are now. My GT3 has 9,000K miles on it, at least 4K of those are on track, and it is tight as a nut. In 10 years time I hope I'll be able to afford a Cup car and all the stuff you need to keep it sweet, till then the GT3 is it for me!
Old 02-17-2005, 01:22 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I suspect in 10 years if the Boxter/996 display systemic weaknesses, the aftermarket will come up with fixes... as long as the engines are reliable and the chassis sound, most everything can be fixed for track applications.

Transmission mainshafts failing? Bet you WEVO will have a replacement out there....

Automatic climate control doesn't work? Rip it out!

Nav system broken?....Rip it out!

Electronic controlled suspension on the fritz?.... Can you say coil-overs.... rip it out!

Detecting a pattern here?
Old 02-17-2005, 01:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the theme.

In fact in trying to fix my electrical issue on my 944 I will be following that same plan. Armed with a wiring diagram...

I will rip out what is left of all the relays and fuses i don't need.
Of the 11 relays on the main relay board. I need only 3. (and could get by on just one, but like the wipers and want to keep hazard flashers).

I also plan on pulling and removing most fues too. That will kill the power to lots of parts of the wiring.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:48 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To paraphrase Colin Chapman.....for racing you should add simplicity....
Old 02-17-2005, 02:27 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCP911S
I suspect in 10 years if the Boxter/996 display systemic weaknesses, the aftermarket will come up with fixes... as long as the engines are reliable and the chassis sound, most everything can be fixed for track applications.

Transmission mainshafts failing? Bet you WEVO will have a replacement out there....

Automatic climate control doesn't work? Rip it out!

Nav system broken?....Rip it out!

Electronic controlled suspension on the fritz?.... Can you say coil-overs.... rip it out!

Detecting a pattern here?

Good point. I could certainly imagine finding a 996, 986 tub cheap, stripping it and rebuilding it. I just can't imagine where I'll find the $$$ to do it, given the cost of components for the modern cars. Hopefully as the cars age the costs will drop.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:25 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

In 10 years, I hope to be in my current car. But in 20 or 30? I'll have to pick the right ride from the latest models...

Here's what I mean. (Quicktime movie, 3.8 megs)

Eye of the tiger, baby.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:56 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RJay
Good point. I could certainly imagine finding a 996, 986 tub cheap, stripping it and rebuilding it. I just can't imagine where I'll find the $$$ to do it, given the cost of components for the modern cars. Hopefully as the cars age the costs will drop.
The local Porsche bodyshop guy told me that the replacement parts (panels, etc) are cheaper for the 996 than they are for the older cars due to the more efficient manufacturing methods (A new gas tank for my 87 is $2400 Cdn ) . Besides, most parts that will go on a 996 tub in 10 years will probably be aftermarket. Carbon fibre panels, race seats, rollcage, etc. I don't know about rebuilding the gearbox or engine though, that could be $$$.

Personally, since I just had my 87 stripped to the metal and resprayed, I think I'll still be in it in 10 years
Old 02-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
993 Glass-Roof Targa, Silver with 6-speed. Saw one at the dealer, been IN LOVE with those lines ever since. Heard the roof is potentially troublesome, but, boy-oh-boy... What a great looking car.

Raindrops keep falling on my head...
Hey, thanks. I love mine... and it is going to the track next weekend.

Roof rattles when closed... so I keep it open!

Quick Reply: What are the cars we'll be driving 10 years from now?