Sponsored by:

are harnesses street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 11:39 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts
Default are harnesses street legal?

i'm slowly converting my 944S to more competitive use, although i still drive it on the street. i know laws differ by states, but does anybody know if harnesses are legal on the street instead of seatbelts?
Old 02-20-2005, 11:47 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Joe;

You have to check with the manufacturer and also your state DOT regs. I believe some harnesses have DOT certification, but I am not positive of that, or which brand(s).

Of course it is a pattently rediculous idea that a racing harness certified by NASCAR, GrandAm, SCCA, CART, FIA, etc., is not safer than a 3-point OE belt... but the law is the law, quite regardless of whether it makes sense, eh?
Old 02-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about DOT regs. If a cop wants to give you a ticket for them, he will. Arguing with him that they are street legal probably won't help much either.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:57 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard, and it is strictly hearsay, that harnesses are not typically street legal because emergency crews don't know how to operate them in the case of a necessary extraction. This does not mean they are worth less than oem 3pts on the street, but they may be a hinderance to extraction in the unfortunate case.

Max
Old 02-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts

I believe that Schroth harnesses are, but most of the other brands are not DOT legal.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:59 PM
James Achard
Pro

Max,
Having worked as an EMT I can tell you we were trained to cut belts to extract victims if nessesary. While a race harness would slow this procedure down a bit since the webbing is bigger, I can't see a big difference in how this would be handled. One would hope that with 5pt. harnesses the need for an emergency crew for extrication would be greatly reduced. As far as the legal stuff goes, here in Ma$$achu$ett$ everything is illegal regarding motorsports, at least that's how we are treated and made to feel.

Cheers, James
Old 02-20-2005, 01:08 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911
I believe that Schroth harnesses are, but most of the other brands are not DOT legal.
Schroth does make a street legal harness. I believe the belts are the same, the difference is that the latching mechanism has an bright safety orange button that say "push here" so that any emergency personnel will know how to unhook you. Apparently this is required by law. Personally, I think they'd figure it out, if they're that dumb, I'm not sure I'd want them to move me anyway. I thought the whole thing was ridiculous and bought the quick release latch which is far easier to release when you have racing gloves on. I'm more worried about getting myself out quickly in the hopefully unlikely event of a fire.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:02 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with James. I have never seen an EMT w/o sharp sissors and/or a knife. 'Course there is no guarantee that an EMT would be first on scene. Might be a citizen of a police officer who left his pocket knife at home that day. Again, as James said, I think a well installed 5/6 pt. harness would reduce the chance that one would need an EMT. Reminds me of the big debate on airbags after a couple of ppl. were killed by them. As the ISAAC site says, any safety device can kill in special circumstances.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:34 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree completely, but from what I understand it is more of a known entity issue. Every car sold in the US has standardized belts. The EMTs show up knowing they can cut them. Who knows, some of the ricers might make some "blingin" harnesses from kevlar or something stupid.

Ultimately, you are probably safer with race harnesses. I know that it is illegal in Indiana as it requires that you use the factory 3 point setup (usual disclaimers of old cars and the like).

Max
Old 02-20-2005, 08:36 PM
alexands
Pro

I never thought to ask that question. Oops. I've been driving around with bright red harnesses for about 4 months now (only on the weekends, though). Inspecation expired in July 04, too.

My point of concern, and I suppose that anyone with rollbars in their cars, is that it's probably not such a good idea to be driving around with rollbars and no helmet.

I suppose driving around with a helmet might get TOO much attention. Besides, how do you pick up chicks that way? Actually, it might help in my case ;-)
Old 02-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

When the F40 was introduced to the US the factory had to put a standard seat belt in the car, crazy! But that's the government for you.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:15 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe,

Most vehicle & traffic statutes just refer to "seat belts". There is no discussion or definition incorporating DOT or any other sanctioning authority.

The reason why the Ferrari F-40 or any other Euro/ROW exoticar would need those belts is to conform to DOT regs to meet federal import safety standards.

I think so long as you're wearing your harness you'll be okay with the law.

BTW, do you have quick release?

Richard
Old 02-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm slowly converting my 944S to more competitive use, although i still drive it on the street. i know laws differ by states, but does anybody know if harnesses are legal on the street instead of seatbelts?
Joseph, just do what I do: When driving on the street, just use your 3-point seatbelt. My 87 have Sparco's and a Welt Harnessbar with 5 point belts. When I don't need them, I move them out of the way and use my 3-point. WAY faster to buckle up that way too! When I feel like being stupid I'll do up the 5 point.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably depends on the jurisdiction in question. I believe the concern is that they are non-OEM equipment and thus not standardized/tested by the automobile manufacturer in conjunction with the other safety equipment in the car. I agree with the poster that said that the police officer could write you up anyway if you argued the merits of the harnesses. I use the factory belts when driving on the street.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:42 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are 5 point harnesses really safer for street use in an otherwise stock car?
The issue that always comes up is that harnesses are part of a system. They will hold you firmly upright in place, rather than letting you slide all over like the 3 point will do, but this can make things worse in some accidents.

In a roll over, without a rollbar or cage, the roofline may well collapse. A 3 point will let you slide sideways to avoid the crush. A harness won't.

The Rennlister who drives this car escaped with very minor injuries.

A harness probaly would have resulted in serious injuries, or worse.

Liek Rich said, use your oem belts on the street. Keep the harnesses in the car if you want the bling and don't mind dealing with the inconvenience.

Quick Reply: are harnesses street legal?