Sponsored by:

Tried an ISAAC

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 04:10 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ColorChange
Gregg: New pins look nice. Available yet?
Not yet, although they are a "standard" item in the industry. It's rare because a pin that long is typically 1/2" or more in diameter, so we would have to special order a batch and they would be quite expensive.

Most drivers leave their Isaac systems in the car all year, but a few are constantly moving them. A pin like this is either of no use, or a "gotta have" item.

What do you think? Is it worth offering?
Old 02-22-2005, 04:16 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Nice to have, not need to have (i.e. under $50 for me). I'm kind of with Mark on this one, a cotter pin should be fine as it's rarely under any direct load. As long as you have postive lock, it should be fine ... no?
Old 02-22-2005, 04:20 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark in Denver
Gregg,

I replied in an earlier thread that I had replaced the circular clips at the ends of the pins with an easier to use clip, since I have to move my ISAAC setup from car to car. I had great difficulty handling the circular clips that you supply with the system. Are you telling me that your circular clips are that important? I understand why one would be ill-advised to replace any other parts of the ISAAC system and I wasn't proprosing replacement of the black pin that goes goes under the belt.
Mark,

I was not clear. Sorry.

The clips you are using are fine. That is virtually a zero-load application, so most anything will work. We used similar clips for the first few months of production, but had problems so we made the switch.

BTW, I'm pretty happy with my ISAAC system. However, now that certification is becoming probable in our sanctioning bodies, are you going to try to certify your system?

Thanks,

Mark
Yes, we will get it certified, and offer "retro" certification for systems already in use.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
A pin like this is either of no use, or a "gotta have" item.
For me, it's a gotta have item.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:45 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

It might make more sense to offer something like that clip posted above as a standard item. Not as impressive a component as the mil spec QR pin, but for the occasional user it makes a lot of sense. Hmm.

Tell you what Larry, if the QR pin makes the sale we'll get you an Isaac system with wall-to-wall QRpins--price TBD.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:13 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Just for fun...

If you guys think this whole displacement/velocity/acceleration/"yank"/force thing is a bit extreme, wait until you see the new stuff.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:38 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg, I like that " Retro-Certification for those of us that already them
By the way, I wacked a concrete wall w/ my drivers side rear quarter @ the Sebring PCA Club Race, and ruined the rear wheel and Snapped the swing arm. Does this "Hit" require that I send it back for a "check-up"?
Bill
Old 02-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
Tell you what Larry, if the QR pin makes the sale we'll get you an Isaac system with wall-to-wall QRpins--price TBD.
Gregg, I think that it just did. PM me with pricing on your unit with the QR pins (mil spec or regular?).
Old 02-22-2005, 06:10 PM
HansB
Pro

Is there any difference between HANS and Isaac using them on an open face helmet?

I am aware of the debate on safety on open face helmet on this board. Still have a pretty new MAG5 Snell 2000 helmte, I would hate to replace. But I would like the additional safety of a H&N protection system.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H&N restraints should not be used with an open face helmet.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:30 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 171 Likes on 98 Posts

GBaker,

Hi. HANS is making a point of its ability to control the head position on the "whip back" in a frontal crash too. They show in time lapse photos the whip back head postion to be almost level in the fore aft plane vs allowing the head to move in the bellybutton to "looking at the sky" arc. Further thay make a point about the HANS ability to assist in the maintenance of the helmet in the correct position on your head. They make a point about these issues being an issue that sewing machine devices cannot address. How does the Isaac address this issue and is it important? Or is this HANS hype? I assume keeping your head on is the primary goal but the crash is very violent are their other dimensions we need to be concerned about?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:03 AM
DAR951
Pro

Originally Posted by Geo
H&N restraints should not be used with an open face helmet.
Why?

The obvious arguments about the advisability of wearing an open vs. full-face asside, what makes an open-face any different from a full when limited to just the H&N displacement/deceleration issues?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DAR951
Why?

The obvious arguments about the advisability of wearing an open vs. full-face asside, what makes an open-face any different from a full when limited to just the H&N displacement/deceleration issues?
Because that is what the makers of H&N devices say. I can make my own guess as to why, but they are purely guesses and I'll stay out of that in this case.

That said, I just picked up the latest copy of Racecar Engineering last night and there is a short news item about the HANS and its use in rallying. There was a photo of a driver in an open face helmet with a HANS. So, perhaps Hubbard-Downing has changed their position. Or perhaps they have made some modifications to suit an open face helmet better. I don't know the answer to that one.

I'm sure Gregg can give you his position and if you call H-D I'm sure they will be happy to give you their lastest info/position.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:41 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geo
That said, I just picked up the latest copy of Racecar Engineering last night and there is a short news item about the HANS and its use in rallying. There was a photo of a driver in an open face helmet with a HANS. So, perhaps Hubbard-Downing has changed their position. Or perhaps they have made some modifications to suit an open face helmet better. I don't know the answer to that one.
Those rally guys are nuts anyway. Using open face helmets. I'm sure they are lengthening their tether straps for the HANS to give them the ability to turn their heads around. I hear they (rally drivers) are compaining bitterly about the HANS.

Then again, they are driving full bore around cliffs and the such, maybe the HANS is superfluous
Old 02-23-2005, 11:55 AM
DAR951
Pro

Originally Posted by Geo
Because that is what the makers of H&N devices say. I can make my own guess as to why, but they are purely guesses and I'll stay out of that in this case...
In your own words,"not to be a PITA" but where do you find this? Granted, I may have overlooked it but I can't find a thing on the web sites of Isaac, HANS, or Hutchins (Safety Solutions) that mentions full-face requirements... in fact, the HANS site specifically says it will "fit any SNELL approved racing helmet"...

Quick Reply: Tried an ISAAC