Sponsored by:

Tool set purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005 | 05:27 PM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Tool set purchase

Has anyone purchased a tool set from the major manufactures (i.e. Snap-On, Mac, Craftsman, etc.)? What I mean by tool set is.......mixture of every possible tool imagineable along w/ a tool box. Seems more economical? I have always used the very bare minimum as far as tool selection/box and I would like to have a large selection to go w/ my new garage. Snap-On makes a really nice set w/ metric tools only. Any experience w/ this? Advantages vs. disadvantages?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2005 | 05:54 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

This might become a debate about tool brands again.

Ignoring brand, I think the decision whether or not to buy a preassembled SET lies in what you do in your garage.

If you always work on the same cars, then no, there's no point buying the set, it's cheaper and better to put together the tools you need individually. For example, you can have 5 different 13mm crescent wrenches of different shapes and sizes instead of a straight 12, 14, 16, and 21 that you'll never use for the same money, and if 13mm is all over the car you work on, you'll be ages faster with the selection of 13s.

However, if you have lots of varied friends who come over with all different cars, then you do want a set - you want to have whatever size their car needs so you must keep a variety around.

Sam
Old 02-13-2005 | 07:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

What I mean by tool set is.......mixture of every possible tool imagineable along w/ a tool box.
Old 02-13-2005 | 07:59 PM
Curt911
Pro

I'd get a catalog, list the items you want, go to the Snap-On or Mac guy and nego. a package deal. I've spent several hundred grand with both of them and I always get a better deal when I buy a bunch at a time and pay cash for them rather than pay weekly with a truck account... for sockets and such I would stay with one of these 2 as well, what is your budget, and perhaps I can make a suggestion...
Old 02-13-2005 | 10:40 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

As Sam says 14, 16 and 21 are seldom used. Also 18, as a matter of fact I don't ever remember anything using an 18. Sears is real bad about ending their packaged kits at 18 mm, which is useless. Also many kits are combo inch and mm. Inch tools are never used on a Porsche, but your F250 may use them, pretty sure your KTM and BMW won't.

12 is used on the bleed screw on a 944, and 15 is the drain plug size. You 911 types will probably won't use them, though I am not sure.

Anyway, look carefully at the kits, and make sure you will need what is in it.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 02-13-2005 | 11:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

curt is absolutely right. buy them all at the same time and work out a deal with them. i did, but with snap-on, even with a super deal, you better be sitting down when the seller totals up your bill.
Old 02-14-2005 | 12:26 AM
Curt911
Pro

Expect to get a 25% off MSRP with Snap-On or Mac when you purchase a "set" for cash. As mooty states, even at this discount level the cost is still high, but then again they are tools and darn good ones. A lot of comapnies offer lifetime warranty, but unless they break while the trucks at your house you'll be at the neighbors borrowing something. In my experience the Snap-On sockets failed less than any of the other top brands, even when I use the chome with my small impact (everybody does it, don't give me a hard time), and their sockets are about the thinnest out there. Mac wrenches are a bit more comforable to me when your pulling hard but the Snap-Ons seem more precise and accurate (if that makes sense).... Bottom line, get a catalog and the price list, tell the guy you want to take it home and get your list together then place a big order(use the emotion of the sale to your advantage), be sure to get a used tool inventory from him if he has any, most of the time you won't tell the difference anyway, consider a nice free roll-cab instead of the cash discout, sometimes the $$$ value can work in your favor this way ( I got a nice black powdercoated 1003 this way)...
Old 02-14-2005 | 11:35 AM
M758
Race Director

I have a husky socket and ratchet set. I't has metric and standard. There are many sockets I have never used. But I use the 10mm, 13mm, 17mm and 19mm all the time. I get ocasional use from a few others.

I do think however it is good to have a complete "set" of the basics. Reason it you never know when you need that 14 mm. Just realize you may never use it. I also got set of combo wrenches 10 mm to 19 mm from husky. Again I use 10mm, 13, 17, and 19. A few times I use others.

It is best to start with those and then buy the rest individually when you need each one. I also have varing assorment of other sockets and extensions to get certain bolts in odd places. 99% of the tools I need are fit in one 4 drawer tool box that I lift and carry around. Nice thing this way when at the track have everything I need to do just about anything the car.

The only downside is those rare times you need at 7,8,9,15, 12, 11, 16, 18, 21, 22, 24 mm you may not have them.

PS for a 944 you need 7 mm for rear brake bleed scew, 8mm for front plust various electrical connectors, 12 mm for coolant bleed, 11 mm on some battery cables, 15 mm for drain plug, 24 mm for engine crank, 22 mm.. ( forget, but you use it places). 11mm line wrench for brake lines, plust you need two 13's and 17 open ends for powersteering adjuster and alternator adjuster.

Quick Reply: Tool set purchase