Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

video camera suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 03:39 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Do either of the SD Card units (Fisher or Panasonic) have an input port for video and audio? In other words, could they be wrapped in a soft box, with lipstick-camera input?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:48 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW - you can get inexpensive prices on SD & CF memory from here. I have not used them but get a lot of ads from them :

http://www.buy.com/cat/Digital_Memeo...Flash/491.html

1GB SD = $74
4GB CF = $304

Kingston, Viking, and SanDisk brands...

Norm
Old 01-20-2005, 05:40 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to throw a little extra info out there, some of the Mini guys put together this package:

http://vacucam.littlemini.us

Although I wouldn't trust the suction mount (and I doubt any track body would either), the camera must be a helluva bargain. It is certainly much more affordable than many of the "lipstick" cams out there. I might shoot this guy an email and find out what camera he is using. I really don't need the mount, but the camera couldn't cost more than $50-60. Take that and buy a Canon MiniDV player off of ebay for about $100 and you have a very affordable setup.

Obviously this isn't on par with the racecam or other high end setups, but it would probably be adequate for those that would rather sink money into track time or their car.

Max
Old 01-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Jack - My Fisher does not have any inouts, audio or video. Its really a 1st gen unit and I'd have been netter off waiting for the next revision, but my wife really likes it for getting video of the kids.

I got a great price on it from Amazon before Christman, although it has since come down another 10%. I got a 1GB SD card at that time, through Amazon, for $73. Also, it comes with a 512MB card.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:40 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Norm, I've bought a lot of stuff from Buy.com, including both SD cards and CF cards for my still cameras, and always had a good experience. A 1G CF card was $65 last December. It's gone up a little since then, but I'm sure they'll drop over time.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:43 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack: Thanks for the info.

Norm
Old 04-24-2005, 03:26 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
OK, being and electrical engineering geek who at one time designed disk and tape storage devices, the answer is density.

If you calculate the amount of memory required for streaming (compressed) video for X period of recording time (where X is minutes/hour), you quickly exceed the capacity of the largest CF/SD device available today. Tape can hold GB's of data, not MB's.
The good news is the difference between magnetic and solid state memory density is decreasing, and high capacity solid state memories are set for release.

Hmmn, this sounds like an interesting basement project...............
Looks like Pretec beat you to it - 12GB compact flash card:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0405/04...pretec12gb.asp

Originally Posted by ngoldrich
BTW - you can get inexpensive prices on SD & CF memory from here. I have not used them but get a lot of ads from them :

http://www.buy.com/cat/Digital_Memeo...Flash/491.html

1GB SD = $74
4GB CF = $304

Kingston, Viking, and SanDisk brands...

Norm
I can notice a difference in my Nikon D70 when switching between the "generic" speed CF cards and my 80x cards. I'd be willing to bet digital video will also be affected by using a slower card.

Last edited by hacker-pschorr; 04-24-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about logging to an iPod?
Old 05-31-2007, 12:14 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
how about logging to an iPod?
Bringing this thread back from the past --- I am looking to take video from alternative places on the car while driving track events.

Few questions:

What is considered good resolution and great resolution in terms of line count for a 'lipstick' type of camera?
What equipment is required to record two channels of video simultaneously? I currently use a Sony miniDV mounted to my roll bar.
Has anyone recorded video to an iPod? That would really convenient on many fronts.

Any other experiences or advice that any of you would like to share?

Many thanks!!

Quick Reply: video camera suggestions