Sponsored by:

Problems with HANS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 05:24 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Problems with HANS?

I finally bit the bullet and bought a HANS device. I was expecting to get the new "improved" version with the lips on the outside edge of the shoulder portion to prevent the belts from slipping. Mine is the older style, but I received an unexpected $100 discount...I called HANS, and they said they would be happy to exchange the device for the newer model (and $100), but that if my seat was set to send the belts over my shoulders at the correct angle, I would have no problem.
So, I'm asking if anyone has had this type of problem with their HANS. device. I have Sparco Evo seats, which meet their criteria for correct angle. I'd like to pay $100 less for a device that will fit my needs, but would regret having one that is constantly slipping. BTW, I drive a 993.
Any info would be most welcome.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the earlier model and have not had a problem but would send it back and get the updated one for the 100$ more.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:09 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Chuck;

I too fairly recently got my HANS, and it is the old style. No mention of the updated version as of late October when mine arrived. To date, I do not notice any proclivity for the belt to slip off the upper shoulder area, where it does most of its work (by design). The only thing that gives me pause is that the tips of the device (over the chest) do not stay under the shoulder belts. Granted, I understand that this area is not the point at which the device is intended to be significantly retained, but the tendancy for the belts to slip off in this area makes me worry if it might not start a trend!

To this end, I will be fashioning some sort of light duty, semi permanent sternum strap to keep the shoulder straps in closer proximity.

I might too opt for the updated version if I were you.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:09 AM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Chuck,

I bought my HANS in October but was not offered either a $100 discount or the updated version option.

My belts come through the (Recaro) seats at the correct angle . . . still I find myself checking to make sure that the shoulders don't slip off the device (which hasn't actually happened).

Given the chance, I'd go for the updated device.

Richard
Old 12-21-2004, 12:40 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had a problem w. the shoulder belts going astray. Been using mine for a year now, and I'd wager about 25+ hours of seat time.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:05 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've got the older style too and I bought it a couple of months ago...I'll keep mine as I have no issues with it so far....I use the Schroth 2" HANS specific shoulder belts and Recaro Pole Position seats. However, I also make sure that the shoulder straps can't separate beyond the recommended width.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:42 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I have the older style as well but would definately opt for the $100 upgrade. I haven't noticed a problem with the straps separating but the problem wouldn't occur until hitting something.

As for the sternum strap, bad idea. That would allow for severe frontal neck injury as your body lurches foreward and your neck contacts the sturnum strap.

At some point I will be upgrading, bummer that it won't only cost $100
Old 12-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I checked with PCA Club Racing for an interpretation on what belts are legal, and Lance Week's response was that regardless of what is available, only 3" shoulder harness belts are legal for club racing. Does anyone know if the new HANS design is compatible with the 3" belts? What are other's experiences? Did they let you by with the new 2x2" shoulder belts?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:30 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Is the new HANS design not compatible with 3" belts? What a mistake!
Old 12-22-2004, 03:04 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I think the new design is OK for 3" belts, just like the old version.

I just ordered a HANS in the new version. I was told the differences are:
-- a curled outer lip to help keep the belts on the device on impact
-- a different outer material on the sternum area to help increase adhesion between the belt material and device

The retailer I ordered from (Apex SPG) knows I race in PCA (as does the owner who helped me) so I'm sure I would have heard if the new design is incompatible w/ 3" belts.

Even though the old version is discounted and I'm on a budget, I spent the extra money. I'm assuming that Hubbard-Downing made these improvements because they identified a weakness in the old design. Whether that weakness was perceived or proven by H-D, I do not know.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:56 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the responses. I guess I knew the answer would be what it was...no problems, but get the new one anyway. It must have been redesigned for a reason...So, I'm going to get the newer design.
I'm again grateful for the benefit of everyone's experience.

Last edited by KOAN; 12-23-2004 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:16 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I thought the lipped HANS was the xl size and the others used no lip. Is the lipped one available in other sizes?
Old 12-24-2004, 01:03 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Yes, it is
Old 01-04-2005, 03:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I just got off the phone with HMSMotorsport (up here in Peabody MA) and they have not yet received their first shipment of the new 'lipped' HANS devices (I was inquiring about a style 20R)

They expect them in the next month or two.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:05 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Lewis,
I just received my '05 model from Apex SPG yesterday (in size 20 regular). I think they have more in stock if you need one soon. They may have placed their order w/ Hubbard-Downing earlier than HMS.

Quick Reply: Problems with HANS?