Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cup Car difference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from Glen..."The most important thing to know is that if You are looking to buy a 996 Cup you had better get one with a sealed motor by Porsche(there will be a SUPERCUP sticker on the lower case bolt) and You better get it bought within the next few weeks..."

Why do you say this?
Old 12-19-2004, 11:51 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks to all who shared. I filed this information for later reference.

Happy Holidays !
Old 12-19-2004, 11:59 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Lime Rock: 56.3 (not using chicane)
Nice to know a pro driving an '04 Cup is almost as fast as Keith Peare in his 914
Old 01-17-2005, 03:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Not that artificial. vet stock 405hp, RS6 stock 450hp. viper stock 500hp
the porsches without the motorsport upgrades are in the 400 hp range, but all of the above in SpeedGT WC trim ,with exception of the viper, have more than stock HP, even the porsche factory race car, due to the motorsport upgraded engine.

not to hard to see the parity in these cars if you start adding weight to the big hp cars and give the porsche closer gearing.

by the end of the season, the cars were pretty darn close, with the edge going to the porsche.

It surely wouldnt have had to been that "artificial" if they actually ran the production cars, eliminated the factory race cars (viper/porsche gt3) and just played with the weights. I bet they are much closer as a group than most people would think!

Mk

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Delivering 400 bhp for hour after racing hour is where the genius lies. Races tend to be won by people driving as slow as possible. Speed World Challenge is not a problem for the Cup cars. However, this is a very 'artificial' series, do you really believe that an Audi RS6 is faster than a 'vette?

R+C
Old 01-17-2005, 04:50 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Glen, can you please start a thread updating us on your progress with your race prepping your tt? Pretty please?
Old 01-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Laura
Pro

As a note, 7 U.S. drivers were allowed to participate as "guest" drivers for the Porsche Supercup at Indy this year. In 2003, I believe they allowed 5 "guests"? Patrick Long adapts ammazingly fast to any car he has the oppprtunity to drive.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ColorChange
Glen, can you please start a thread updating us on your progress with your race prepping your tt? Pretty please?
Tim, That was a really fun project. I started out with a high mile C4S. Then built a 3.8 motor, regeared it , lightened it, took out the sunroof, all the extraneous bits etc...we then built an exact duplicate of the 993 RSCS or GT2 Matter cage in chromolly,put in GT3 seats and reinteriored the whole car in RS bits. underneath I used the 993 EVO uprights, ERP monoballs throughout,heim jointed adjustable multilinks in the rear, 993 SuperCUp suspension and even the RSR subframe tiltkit. I then got bored and found a TT drivetrain and we put it in the car. It literally took us about 6 hours to put in the TT at my home/shop/barn with a couple of friends help. We had already pulled the 3.8 out and sent it to a purchaser in Portland, the gearbox made it out to a "gentleman" in Ca. who Laura installed it for. The car is a great car and the guy who started this thread"another Tim" owns it now. You can see it in his avatar and I believe he has it for sale. I put over 100k in the car over time but took some of that out with the sale of the 3.8 and gearbox in addition to some other bits to other folks....lol I think Tim bought it from me for 51k off Ebay and has done some additional mods to it in addition to additional wheels etc...so it is an excellent car. If I were to do a 996 TT racecar I would just focus on the suspension with factory GT3RS bits, keep the weight, cool the brakes and spank everything in B with it. If You need a guy to do it, I would recommend Chris Cervelli if You do not have someone in Your area You like and trust. Actually I think we should start a thread with people who bought parts and cars from me...Danny or DJF1 to the board just drove off with my trailer a couple of hours ago so the cycle continues...
Old 01-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

My name is Greg and I have bought parts from Glen.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Glen
Race Car

My name is Glen and I have bought parts from Greg.....in fact now we dont even charge each other we just send them back and forth...
Old 01-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glen
My name is Glen and I have bought parts from Greg.....in fact now we dont even charge each other we just send them back and forth...
I'm Phil, and I have bought parts from Glen

I
Old 01-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by Phil McGrath
I'm Phil, and I have bought parts from Glen

I
Yes in fact Phil only bought"stock" parts for his"stock" car....
Old 01-17-2005, 11:25 PM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is kind of like therapy!.... My name is Tim and I've bought an awesome car from a great/honest guy (Glen), just ask anyone who has ridden in the car. Now I just want to keep buying stuff for my car or maybe just buy a 996 Supercup or maybe just sell my M3 and buy a Gt3. Ya know, it's not my fault, I just wanted to have some fun and Glen made me into some kind of crazied maniac who can drive 15 hrs just to drive his Porsche for 3 hrs. I don't even think twice about doing it!! And I am usually driving all Friday night just to get to the track. I need HELP!! Please....HELP!!

I must stop this nonsense.

I think I actually feel better now.

By the way anyone know where I can find a good 02-04 Supercup?

I can't believe I just wrote that!!......I must foocuuus.....

Or a 04 GT3?

This is your fault Glen!
Old 01-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by tar6day
This is kind of like therapy!.... My name is Tim and I've bought an awesome car from a great/honest guy (Glen), just ask anyone who has ridden in the car. Now I just want to keep buying stuff for my car or maybe just buy a 996 Supercup or maybe just sell my M3 and buy a Gt3. Ya know, it's not my fault, I just wanted to have some fun and Glen made me into some kind of crazied maniac who can drive 15 hrs just to drive his Porsche for 3 hrs. I don't even think twice about doing it!! And I am usually driving all Friday night just to get to the track. I need HELP!! Please....HELP!!

I must stop this nonsense.

I think I actually feel better now.

By the way anyone know where I can find a good 02-04 Supercup?

I can't believe I just wrote that!!......I must foocuuus.....

Or a 04 GT3?

This is your fault Glen!
Glad I could help! BTW I just sent a guy Your way on the car and left You a detailed VM on some news I got last week You will find very interesting.

Quick Reply: Cup Car difference?