First Club Race this Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 11:39 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Club Race this Weekend

Hello Racers!

This weekend I will be competing in my first Club Race with the Porsche-BMW Owners Club (www.PBOCFlorida.com) at Homestead. Along with all the other tracks in Florida, I know Homestead like the back of my hand but I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on what to look out for, what to think about and what NOT to do.

In other words, looking back at your first race, what would you have done differently? Any answer such as "drive a 962 or 917/30" will be disregarded....

Thanks so much guys and girls. Wish me luck!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:58 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good luck and have fun!

Max
Old 12-07-2004, 10:56 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

I'm sure you found out - but like the NFl transition - the pace is gruesome!! Hope you had fun.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:07 PM
brucegre
Banned

Hi Rich, if it's your first race, but you are an experienced driver - well, have some fun out there! I just finished my rookie season, and my coach gave me some very good advice, he said "remember, you have that rookie triangle on there for a reason"

I'd suggest finding a comfortable groove and staying in it for the first race or two, just to get a feel for the pace and the other cars out there. A lot of racers can race, but they can't drive, and it pays to find out who they are from a safe vantage point. As you get comfortable, then start to push and see what the folks around you do.

Have a great weekend!
Old 12-08-2004, 06:09 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Agree with Brucegre.... just park yourself in a safe place and figure out what is going on....

Especiallhy at the start... the temptation is there to pass people.... which is fine, but as you approach the first turn, establish yourself in a clearly defined space and hold it. The far inside is usually the safest, as you only have to worry about cars on one side. The far outside is the least safe as you can get squeezed off the track.... strategy on turn 1... just get through it baby....

Once the field sorts out to single file, you can assess the cars around you. Just get used to driving in that situation, be very conscious of your mirrors, and if someone makes and aggressive pass on you, just let him through and get used to going side by side in the turns... no shame getting passed.... as you start passing it will help you understand what the other guy is doing.... you can't pass safely until you learn to get passed safely...

iI you get stuck all by yourself, slow down and let the guys behind catch up.... you need experience driving in traffic even if it is with slower cars. even ok to let them pass you and then try to pass them back if you are comfortable doing it.... the point here is learning... not where you finish

Expect to start getting lapped about halfway through. THis is good experience again, just be very clear about the space on the track you are claiming and leave a path (generally on the inside) through the turn for the faster cars.... as long as you are predictable, they will get around you.... and fthey will be aggressive so be prepared for that......you will feel like a pregnant lady in a stampede.... try to take a line in the middle of the track, and do not make any abrupt changes in direction, or slow down any more than you need to to make the turn... see the Etiquite threads....

Most turns have three lanes. Inside, middle, and outside. Inside is generally for passing, middle for being passed and outside for when you want to scare the sh*t out of yourself.... as a novice get used to driving the middle lane... this will get you safely through the turns and allow faster traffic to pass safely. The "Racing Line" cuts accross all lanes... do not try to stay on the racing line in traffic.... pick a lane and stay in it

The other advice is good.... you are a rookie for a reason.... forget about where you finish...make it a learning experience and it will pay off down the road.

Prepare to have a blast
Old 12-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

A very good rule is that if there is one passing You, there will be another right behind him. One of the most common incidents(even in the Pro series) is a driver will get passed by a faster car and will then move back online or over etc... right into the path of the car the car that just passed You is battling with. So remember when there is one there is two!
Old 12-08-2004, 09:22 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I agree with everything everyone else has said. I will also say that it's a good idea not to fixate your visual attention on any one thing for very long. Keep your eyes moving and scanning and of coarse your mirrors are an important part of that scan. The faster you can move your eyes, the better your track awarness will be. Also remember to look far ahead so you anticipate problems and can react early.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:49 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

WOW, this is GREAT advice!! I can't thank you guys enough. Of course, I will post my experience(s) and results on Sunday night or Monday morning. My race will be a 1 hour race with a mandatory 5 min pit stop. Any additional advice? Thanks again guys!!
Old 12-09-2004, 02:47 AM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Rich,
If Bob V. has scrutineers and tech available on Friday, try to get those preliminaries done then. Makes it easier for the weekend of your first race, especially if there are any unexpected issues to deal with concerning the car's specs. You're already familiar with open track driving, so you'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect: more crowded at times, and a generallly more aggressive field, but nothing you can't deal with. A bit more of that friendly aggression may surface on the last couple of laps. You'll have a blast.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Good luck, Rich! Are you going to Sebring?
Old 12-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

Rich:
Let the madness begin. Here's some of the excellent advice I got from some experienced racers before my first race. 1) At the start, don't forget to shift. When you go green, the roar around you will be like nothing you have ever heard. 2) Don't leave too much space between you and the car qualified next to you, otherwise someone behind you will definately shoot the gap and come up the middle. 3) Breath. Your first practice session will be unlike any DE you have ever done and your adrenaline will be pumping (you will be mentally exhausted after the first day. 4) Leave yourself a little space between you and the car in front of you going into the first corner at the start. It will be crowded trying to squeeze all those cars into limited space.

And the three most important things. Finish the race, learn something, and have a blast!
Old 12-09-2004, 11:00 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

I envy you so go out there and have a riot!!! I feel your excitement!!!
Dal
Old 12-10-2004, 12:48 AM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Mark,

Sorry but I won't be able to make this year's 48 hours at Sebring. Instead, I have a family reunion in Europe. Given that Sebring is my home track it is especially a bummer but I will definitely be with you all in spirit. Just wait until 2006!!

Quick Reply: First Club Race this Weekend