cryogenic rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
What about REM treatment?
REM treatment is used to smooth the surface and REDUCE friction - good for gears, not so good for brake rotors...
Old 04-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I didn't believe in cryo treating until we used it at a machine shop I ran. We had trouble with a certain part stress relieving (read bending) on it's own after we machined it. After cryogenic stress relieving, the parts didn't stress relieve at all. It was pretty amazing.
Sure, but how does that apply to keeping rotors from cracking or making rotors last longer? Rotors that are regularly put through huge heat cycles?
Old 07-24-2023, 02:39 PM
bharold
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eostly
Cryo treated rotors are a complete waste of time and money. Never mind that the actual physics and metalurgy of it is complete BS, cryo-treating rotors just doesn't make any difference. They claim better rotor life, significant improvement in braking performance, and longer pad life. None of this is true in any way shape or form.

To prove this theory, I had 2 rotors treated and put them on 1 side of my car, yes a side not an end. Using PFC 93 and Pagid Orange, I ran the car for a two years this way. The car is a 914-6 with 86 carrera fronts and 83 SC rear brakes. I live in Northern California and this was 2 seasons of Laguna Seca (very hard on brakes), Buttonwillow, Thunderhill, and Sears Point.

The results were just as I expected. First, the car didn't pull to either side under any rate of braking. No one who ever tried the car could tell which side had the treated rotors and which side had the un-treated rotors. This completely invalidates their statements that cryo-treated rotors offer better braking performance. Second, after 2 years of use, the rotors from both sides had no visible difference AND measured within a couple thousandths in thickness. So much for better rotor wear. Third, in that time I probably went through 10 sets or brake pads. The pads never varied in thickness between the different sides.

Save your money and spend it on other things. Cryo treating rotors is just another scam.

Erik Ostly
Los Gatos, CA
1970 914-6 Track Car
1972 911E
PCA/POC
PCA-GGR Instructor
Do you still feel the same way ?
Old 07-24-2023, 04:21 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 310 Posts

^ Do you realize that this thread is 18 years old? You most likely won’t be getting a response…. At least not from that person.
Old 07-24-2023, 06:46 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 499 Likes on 307 Posts

Coincidentally, I'm sure....
But I haven't heard any mention of cryo treated rotors for just about that long, too!

Quick Reply: cryogenic rotors