Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

karting

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 07:46 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I would second the recommendation to not buy a kart right away. I would do a handful (at least) of school days or arrive-and-drives. Karts are very different than street cars (they're a lot more like open-wheel or formula racers), and they're not for everyone. They will beat your body senseless by the time you've gotten up to shifters.

I'd find the niche of karting (if any) you'd like before buying equipment. There's a lot of used equipment on the market because guys buy in, usually too high up the performance scale, and burn out quickly.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:44 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

I am starting out with a 100cc HPV (the most economical class). I'd recomend trying a couple arrive and drives first--karting is definately more physically demanding than the 993. Down here, arrive and drives are concession karts; so realize that they're pretty far off from a true racing kart. So, if you try one, and think it might be something you'd like, then set up a test drive with a local kart shop (they're usually happy to do that) in something more like what you'd be racing. I tried both the 100cc and 125TAG class kart before buying, and by then you'll know if its right for you.

I would rather be club racing a 911, but I'm cutting my teeth with karts until I can afford it. to me nothing beats the feeling of wheel to wheel racing. I originally got into it more as a training program because my track time in the 993 has dwindled with school, but I'm having more fun that I ever thought I would. Even when I get to where I can club race a cup car, I'll still race the kart because its a blast!
Old 11-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Edwards
I would rather be club racing a 911, but I'm cutting my teeth with karts until I can afford it.
Assuming you are racing the kart quite regularly, you will be way ahead of the game when you finally do get into club racing. I've said this a number times before, but it bears repeating. When I raced karts I was always told that a year of karting would teach me more than 5 years of car racing. I always thought that it was quite an exaggeration. However, when I started racing cars I found out it was quite true.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:45 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

More good news for us NJ/NY racers: RJ Valentine, Porsche racer (currently GrandAm) and entrepreneur behind the F1 Boston kart tracks is planning similar facilities on Long Island, and at the Meadowlands. http://www.newsday.com/ny-bzkart1112,0,4065914.story
Old 11-16-2004, 08:21 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've learned so much in the 6 months i've been racing karts. you learn about car setup/prep, working on the kart, wrenching with the suspension/motor, race strategy, basically everything that can prepare you to go club racing.

as for me, i'm going to continue racing karts next year and hopefully the year after that. its just so much fun.

i'd start with the 125cc TAG class (touch and go motors) Rotax specifically for a few reasons:

1. electric start motor - that means you can be a one-man operation. self starting motor, no cranking.

2. sealed spec motor- 40hrs between rebuilds means no money having to rebuild engines after each race and less hassle messing with internals and tuning. all you have to do is tune the carb and the jetting.

3. initial costs are more than a 100cc yamaha or similar type class, but because you won't be rebuilding your motor all the time you'll save alot more in the long run. less maintenance plus more fun.

4. 27hp - 10hp more than the 100cc's means you go alot faster

www.ekartingnews.com

if you really want to get into karting or Rotax feel free to ask me more specific questions.

Robert
Old 11-17-2004, 09:29 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by penguinking
i've learned so much in the 6 months i've been racing karts. you learn about car setup/prep, working on the kart, wrenching with the suspension/motor, race strategy, basically everything that can prepare you to go club racing.
Having been crew chief for my son's foray into karting this past year, I concur: this is the cheapest/best way to start racing on many levels.
I agree with everything you say about teaching setup, with one caveat: Be careful what "lessons" you learn from karting you carry over to racecar setup. It's been tough for me to learn how to set up a kart chassis because not only are most of the parameters different than a car, in some cases they are the exact opposite. Two examples: on a car, you soften the loose end, on a kart, you harden it(run higher tire pressures); on a car you want your weight low to lower the center of gravity-on a kart you want the weight high to add leverage in twisting the chassis at turn-in. Then there are a host of issues that are just different: your principle chassis tuning variables, for example, are caster (which determines the amount of inside-rear-wheel-jacking) and f/r track width. People would tell me this stuff (without the explanation) and I'd wonder if they were putting me on. Which is also not un-heard of in racing...
Old 11-17-2004, 12:43 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd have to agree w/ Brandon here on a kart's setup. Everything for me was the exact opposite from my setup on a car.

That said, though, karting is great and they are difficult to drive quickly (i.e. competitive times). There's a bit of controlled aggression that needs to be applied and you can lose a lot of time from over-driving.

I have a TaG-classed kart (MS Kart w/ Parilla Leopard 125cc) and it's great. I use it as a way to get extra seat time. For the price & experience you can't beat it.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911
I'd have to agree w/ Brandon here on a kart's setup. Everything for me was the exact opposite from my setup on a car.
Yes, but that is not what matters. What matters is learning to chase the set-up. Learning what variables can impact your set-up and in what way and how much. It matters learning when it's really really good and not just "driveable." All of that won't teach you what spring rates to select on your car or what swaybar settings you need. But it will teach you to work your car and learn it. Heck every car is different anyway so it's always a matter of learning to work the set-up.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:32 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

all i know is when i go to a kart race weekend i pay less for more track time, and in most cases my kart's lap times are *faster* than in my street 996, and i actually get to race instead of just drive the track.

talk about an amazing deal right there!
Old 11-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Yes, but that is not what matters. What matters is learning to chase the set-up. Learning what variables can impact your set-up and in what way and how much. It matters learning when it's really really good and not just "driveable." All of that won't teach you what spring rates to select on your car or what swaybar settings you need. But it will teach you to work your car and learn it. Heck every car is different anyway so it's always a matter of learning to work the set-up.
George,

I may have sent a mixed message in my post. If I did, let me re-clarify. All I was stating was that setting up a kart is the opposite of a car. I didn't say that one couldn't learn from it or transfer that learning over to a car. Sorry for the confusion.

When it comes to learning, though, you are 100% about the process that's involved with learning "how" to chase the setup and make the appropriate changes to the kart (tire pressures, gear, carb, etc).

Rich
Old 11-17-2004, 04:09 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

darn you parilla folk - us rotaxians can't keep up with you guys or the sonik's. well, maybe the good drivers can, but i sure can't
Old 11-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Mike, I live in Cincinnati and have run my kart at Camden a number of times. I had never driven a kart before and I jumped right into the 125cc shifters. I also happen to know Norm Goldrich quite well. If you would like, please send me a PM with your phone number and I will give you a call to discuss further.

Best regards,
Jeff
Old 11-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Pitboy
5th Gear

Mike, jumping into a shifter kart is defintly not a problem. It is almost a waste of money to first get a 4 stroke then get a shifter. There not all that difficult but they are a lot of fun.
Brian
Old 11-23-2004, 06:48 PM
InThePocket
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, Rumor has it that Porsche/Nissan guru John Wright is considering building a kart track on his property next to his shop across from Clermont County Airport. He sells/services shifter karts also. I haven't spoken with him for a few months, so I'm not sure on the status.

Roger

Quick Reply: karting