Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ways to take extra wheels to the track on a C4S.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I concur with Sam, bag them and put them in the car. 18's fit btw and if I remember correctly a front will fit in the front trunk at an angle and of course You can get more room by pulling the spare out(since You now have 4 full size spares) but having the spare in really does help in a frontal collision and is integral to the crash structure.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:54 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know a fellow with a 993 who packs 1 front and 1 rear wheel mounted with the same tires as the other four, along with a bunch of other stuff in his 993.

And I see quite a number of people at the track with those little trailers that work very nicely and allow the driver to bring a full set of wheels and everything else you might need for your track events.

Richard
Old 10-27-2004, 08:57 PM
mpaton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeva
I am curious to know, when it's time, how I can take an extra set of wheels to the track.

I am planning to purchase 18' winter tires and wheels, and use the rims for R-compounds for track days in summer.
I have a 2002 C2, and can get 1 rear tire and 1 front in the rear, and another rear on the passenger seat. All these go in trash bags, and the 2nd front tire goes in the front trunk after the space saver tire is removed.

These tires are the stock C2 18" wheel sizes, 8x18 and 10x18. It has worked with 295/35-18 and 245/40-18s. I don't know if you can fit a front tire in your trunk; I think your 4WD system takes up too much room. I have the Bose rear speakers, so I have the rear seats up, and only get 2 in there.

I also have the Porsche Roof Transport System which is rated for (I think 200 lbs) and if I need space in the car, I put the 2 rears and 1 front on there. I had intended to build a smart looking aluminum adaptor, but as I ended up looking at all the raw materials at 1030 pm the day before a DE, I ended up building a mount of 2x4s which holds the 3 tires. It's quite secure. It's much easier to load the tires into the trash bags and into the car at the end of a weekend. The roof rack takes a while to put on, but with any luck the person you made room for will help you put it back together.

Michael Paton
Old 10-27-2004, 11:44 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeeva,

It was nice meeting you this weekend. I would actually suggest that you stay with street tires for a couple more seasons since this is only your first year of DE. I've done about 20 DE weekends and 60 Autocrosses and still have fun with street tires. In fact, I used to run race tires in my old 300ZX and have more fun sliding the old 911 around with the streets. In fact, you will learn a lot more staying with streets than the guys that move to race tires too quickly. They tend to hide mistakes. Plus, you will have more fun lapping them in the rain, as I did last weekend.

The bottom line for me is that if you aren't getting the car loose regularly and on the edge with street tires, then you aren't ready for race tires. A simple philosophy, but one I believe.

BTW, I took a few photos of you during the weekend and will e-mail them to you.,

Noel
Old 10-28-2004, 01:04 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noel
Jeeva,

It was nice meeting you this weekend. I would actually suggest that you stay with street tires for a couple more seasons since this is only your first year of DE. I've done about 20 DE weekends and 60 Autocrosses and still have fun with street tires. In fact, I used to run race tires in my old 300ZX and have more fun sliding the old 911 around with the streets. In fact, you will learn a lot more staying with streets than the guys that move to race tires too quickly. They tend to hide mistakes. Plus, you will have more fun lapping them in the rain, as I did last weekend.

The bottom line for me is that if you aren't getting the car loose regularly and on the edge with street tires, then you aren't ready for race tires. A simple philosophy, but one I believe.

BTW, I took a few photos of you during the weekend and will e-mail them to you.,

Noel

Noel, it was great seeing you slide through the carousal, man one-time i saw a severe over steer but you corrected it beautifully, great to see. I would love to see those pictures, i'll send a private message with my e-mail. They put me in groupC for my first time at mid-ohio, the first two sessions were a bit intimidating, did great in the rain that afternoon, and sunday was incredible, i got signed off for my last two runs and had a blast. I can't wait for my next event.

I am not planning to switch to DOT's now, I am having way too much fun with the street tires and have a lot to learn from them, but I was considering some new winter tires and rims now, and i could justify the price for the rims more if I could use them for track later.

This is my dilemma, i'll for sure have my C4S for another couple of years and then may keep it or buy a 996 turbo, 996 GT3 or 997 GT3, and I really don't want to take my car out in winter if I am going to keep it forever. I don't want to wait till my last season to buy extra rims and DOT's, use it for a few DE's and and not be able to use it on my new car. I think I am going to store my car for this winter (wifey hates the idea of me driving it in the winter, she thinks I am going to kill myself), consider DOT's for my third season.

I got super blue braking fluid on mine finally for my last event for this year nov/6th wknd. at mid-ohio. Noel, i had The Garage do it for me, great service.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:00 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jack
How about a picture or two from a different angle?
Old 10-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeeve,

Oh you saw that. I also had fun driving in the rain. I actually prefer it to dry. I'm sick I know.

I'll shoot you those photos. They are not that great so don't get your hopes up.

Yuri is pretty good, although Ken Farler is better IMO. However, it is a hike to get down to his place.

Noel
Old 10-29-2004, 04:08 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Send me your email and I will send you pictures of the Trailer I use on my 97 992.
I haul a set of tires and tools. Been doing this for two years.

d_ehinger@navitar.com

The pictures are to large to post here and I can't figure out how to shrink them.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:11 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DanS911
Hey Jack
How about a picture or two from a different angle?
See this thread.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

jack, you are nuts ;-) the car looks cool with 8 wheels though.

"Best solution is to find a local or semi-local friend that has a trailer and is willing to take them for you."

Quick Reply: Ways to take extra wheels to the track on a C4S.