Sponsored by:

Tons of data from Hallet

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tons of data from Hallet

As Glen mentioned in CC's latest thread I gathered about 11 sessions worth of data at Hallet last weekend. I think there are over 150 laps worth. Anybody who wants to see it should download Aim's Analysis software from their website and then email me so I can pass the data on to you.

Some observations from the weekend:

My lap times are pretty consistent. I get 3 laps in the same tenth often enough that it doesn't shock me, but my split times are inconsistent by comparison.

It is hard to look at the data and then say, "ok, here is what I am going to do to go faster."

The penalty for overdriving the entry is more than I would have thought.

Using math to create Long G doesn't work well since I am always in ABS and the wheel speeds are all over the place.

The brakes on the car I was driving do not allow me to brake properly all the time. The assist is too powerful and I couldn't brake at less than about 15 bar.

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
Old 10-07-2004, 08:47 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Is there a vehicle speed readout on the CAN bus (if you have one?) that could be used to develop a calculated G? From the trans, ABS, or engine ECU? Or no such capability?
Old 10-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

No CAN bus. Too old, 96 993. My speed channel comes off the LR axle RPM.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Jess
Instructor

Chris,

Just wanted to thank you for the advice you gave me at Hallet.

Absolutley a track that requires you to think a lot--I wasn't. If you try to drive it fast without giving thought to what you are doing, you'll only find yourself frustrated. I tend to force things and make it work. That wasn't working at Hallet.

Chris noticed that I was struggling and suggested that I take it easy on entries and then get after it. This was a bit forign to me but I gave it a try and it was good for a second in my class in the sprint and a first in the enduro.

For those of you who have not have the chance to meet Chris, let me just say: This guy gets after it! I've now seen him drive several tracks over the last couple of years and he is a gifted driver. He is always willing to help with advice, tools (you don't even remember Phoenix in 2002, I bet), or anything else.

Thanks Chris!

Jess
Old 10-07-2004, 09:25 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
No CAN bus. Too old, 96 993. My speed channel comes off the LR axle RPM.
I don't know if this is available for your system (or if this one would work):
Pi makes a speed box that takes two speed inputs. The output is either the higher of the two or the lower - your choice. Should help with the ABS making the speed signal jump around.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:13 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Ah, OK - same boat as me, but I have no ABS to fight with, just sensor deflection causing occasional drop-out (though rare). Yeah, you likely need what Mark describes, which is analagous to what the ABS is doing internally (as naturally it needs to know the vehicle speed). The two rears would be best wheel speeds to use, no question. Or just put in a long. G sensor! I'm about to myself, for this weekend... along with my yaw rate sensor...
Old 10-08-2004, 10:28 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Mark:

You are correct and have a good suggestion. I am sure the Aim will take two and I think up to four speed inputs per revolution. This will work wonders in cleaning up your speed signal.

Chris:

Can't wait to see your data. You have my PM.

Quick Reply: Tons of data from Hallet