Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 09:17 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The True Spirit of Performance Driving - A Funny Little Story

Hey all;

Thought I'd pass along a funny little story that happened this week at the Glen.

One of our Central NY Region members was there with his 914. A more unassuming combination of car and driver you will never meet. The man is an absolute gentleman, with nothing but smiles and laughs, always ready to fairly guide you asside to be of help, and no ego anywhere in sight. Ratty old car affectionately named Mrs. Murphy. I can only assume this is a reference to the probabilities of a similarly named law. 2.0 4-banger, probably rebuilt on the guy's kitchen table. He bumper hitch flat tows the thing with a Ford Ranger pickup. We are talking a bare bones operation here.

This combination also happens to really fly around the track. Car and driver are at once invisible, and exceedingly quick. Some of our instructors have ridden with this fellow and been mightily impressed at how he hurls that little beast around the track.

So, it occured to me that an Atta Boy was called for, and I set about getting him promoted to the Black run group. His response was a somewhat trepidatious "oh boy..." As I suspected, watching from the pits I could see him lap after lap whizzing around 10 & 11, stalking much faster cars with his little beater.

As I later learned, he had occasion on one interminable sprint up the back straight to pass the track chair's daughter in her own 2.0 914. As our man blasted into the Inner Loop, this young lady noted that his brake lights did not come on, a fact she duly reported to the Steward in Pit 1 after the session. Our man was summarily called upon to perform a test of his brake lights to assess their function, and to everyone's surprise but him, they functioned perfectly.

Upon being informed as to why the test had been requested, he laughed and informed them that he didn't USE the brakes for the Inner Loop! Not for 10 or 11 either!

I TOLD them he was ready for the Black Group!

Less is More!
Old 10-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, I love those type of people.
I'm so tired of c**ky spoiled idiots, who talk too much about how good they drive and try to sound like real pros. That 914 must be a great joy in his life if he can handle that car so well!

Last edited by Rassel; 10-08-2004 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Small brain
Old 10-08-2004, 12:07 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHAHAHA!! John, that's great! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:41 AM
Tim Pruitt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great Story...thanks for sharing.

Put a smile on my face this morning.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
he laughed and informed them that he didn't USE the brakes for the Inner Loop! Not for 10 or 11 either!
I'm impressed. I didn't have to brake at 10 either in my 914, but had to for 11. Then again, the tires are better now. Never-the-less, talk about a momentum car!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Cool story!

Do you know if this guy will be at the VIR event in November? If so, I look forward to beging smoked by Mrs. Murphy!

-Z.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:15 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Loved the story...
Old 10-08-2004, 12:28 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
Loved the story...
Me too! Reminds me of another great guy. This gentleman bought his first Porsche, a 944S2, two years ago at the age of 81 and joined PCA. Dove right in and shows up at every AX and DE that NCR has. He's not real fast...yet...but he's getting there. True he's still in green and has to give the point by often. But I'll never the forget the smile on his face the first time he came in after having passed someone in his session. Ah the joy of simple goals! Truly a gamer and a fabulous inspriation.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:40 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey RJay;

I met that old boy at the 48 Hours this year. He had found my writings on performance driving - specifically the Glen handbook - and had me paged to thank me for all the help. Said he felt like he already knew the place when he got out there. What a Beaut!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately, Mrs. Murphy developed a rather loud rattle in her second session in Black, and was retired from duty for the year. Knowing Bill, the engine is already spread out on the kitchen table!
Old 10-08-2004, 02:13 PM
eugene
Racer

Hello John.

That is a classic. Thank you.

Eugene.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:20 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey RJay;

I met that old boy at the 48 Hours this year. He had found my writings on performance driving - specifically the Glen handbook - and had me paged to thank me for all the help. Said he felt like he already knew the place when he got out there. What a Beaut!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately, Mrs. Murphy developed a rather loud rattle in her second session in Black, and was retired from duty for the year. Knowing Bill, the engine is already spread out on the kitchen table!
He's an amazing fellow. Jeez, I didn't realize you were at the 48 Hours. So was I but only for about 2 minutes. My fuel pump locked solid. Managed to get in 9 of the 11 turns on my first lap so it wasn't all bad. Sorry I missed you there. Next year!

Quick Reply: The True Spirit of Performance Driving - A Funny Little Story