Sunday Driver - RunOff results

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 01:55 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F110;

It is a question of perspective. We could say that Mark was "a Loser" given the perspective that anything but first place is not a winner... if we were narrow-minded. On the other hand, we could say he is to be heartily congratulated and praised because those of us who have some inkling of what his accomplishment entails are eager to give credit where it is so rightly due, and to support our e-friend. Were it to be that we ALL had that high a skill and dedication. Yeh, well... so we live vicariously instead!

Anyone of even paltry interpersonal elocution can see that Color's choice of words was indelicate and stunningly clumsy. That is as polite as I can be. The fact that he has so brilliantly cast himself as a pariah certainly will never hereafter help him in such matters. You can choose to wince at his faux pas in private, join him in his density, or anything in between. You must realize that when you defend the virtually indefensable, no matter its intent, you risk being tarred simultaneously!

Star Trek's Data would not understand the distinction. The rest of us do, I'd wager.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:03 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaOne10
I don't see how, in any way, I have "not read well enough" or "not thought well enough here." (I would like some elaboration here rather than an open ended attack). If I offended Mark in any way it was unintended and I apologize. The point about talent was that people at the highest levels of the sport "run out of talent" (like Barichello). But Barichello is still an incredible driver! I really do want to see Mark's data (should he be generous enough to give it out).
I think he means
"not read well enough" maybe compared to shakespeare
"not thought well enough here." as may be Einstein would have
Do you see the drift, (I can spell it out even better, I am just bad in typing and I think I will just be wasting more time). I wanted to explain it to you as you were sincere with your comments. FWIW it's sometimes better to read these threads with C.C, for it's humour and avoid posting. Some can never comprehend certain things, don't waste your energy on those.

P.S edit, John Hajny I just have to say I love that avatar (Yes, I know the history )
Old 09-28-2004, 02:21 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

CC-

I apologize. I will take you at your word for that, but you must realize how your comments CAN be interpreted.

I will see if I can find the time to drive out there.

Max
Old 09-28-2004, 02:22 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Congrats Sunday. That must have been a fun time.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:41 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Good Job Mark,

I was following your times on the SCCA website. What happened during your qualifying? I 'spect there's a story there. Big write up with pictures and videos please for we Walter Mitty desk bounds
Old 09-28-2004, 07:50 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

That was not an open-ended attack.

If it were an attack, it would be much more amusing.

That was a professional analysis of the data at hand.

As you admit, "If I offended Mark in any way it was unintended and I apologize."

Effective writing that communicates what you intend requires effective thinking.

Please reread the posts in question, and consider the reason why so many people react to them in a similar manner.

Again, I hope you have no problem with my being frank.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:59 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
I hope you have no problem with my being frank.
Mark (Sunday Driver), I think that this is all your fault. You couldn't just finish last, and then CCs boorishness might have been appropriate. No, you had to finish in the top ten, and prove your ability to setup a DSR and race it. Now everyone is all upset and confused. CC doesn't know how to congratulate you properly. Poor Mike thinks that he is Frank now. F110 seems to be a defender of CC. This all has me terribly upset, and I hope that you don't pull another stunt like this next year. I hope that for all of our sakes, if next year you find yourself in the lead, pull off. Show some real character and just go slow!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Mark (Sunday Driver), I think that this is all your fault. You couldn't just finish last, hope that for all of our sakes, if next year you find yourself in the lead, pull off. Show some real character and just go slow!

Larry,
I tried to help Mark achieve a proper HWFM finish and lowered his tire pressure to somewhere around 8lbs front and 9lbs in the back and damn it if he wasn't even faster!
Old 09-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dammit Greg, that was supposed to be 80# and 90#! We DISCUSSED this!
Old 09-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

I am sorry, but this will confuse you even more. I really am Frank . My confirmation name is Francis, after my father's middle name of Frank.

But if you think you're upset, consider the predicament 110 and I am in.

How are the Bears going to pluck the Eagles with the Bear's starting QB is out with a ruptured cuff? The pluckers are gonna be the pluckees.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:19 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
Dammit Greg, that was supposed to be 80# and 90#! We DISCUSSED this!
Old 09-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

8 instead of 80. 9 instead of 90.

That is very HWFM

You did us proud Greg.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:38 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
Good Job Mark,

I was following your times on the SCCA website. What happened during your qualifying? I 'spect there's a story there. Big write up with pictures and videos please for we Walter Mitty desk bounds
I will do a more detailed write up, but...

The car developed a misfire during Monday practice. Upon return to the paddock, the car would not roll and we found a bolt had come loose - holds the upright to the lower A arm. It was blocked from coming all the way out by the wheel. Held by 2 threads - that was a seriously close call and will be safety wired before the car goes out again. Thought the miss was a chatter of the bolt digging into the wheel and did not find anything obvious electrical.

Tues qualifying, the miss was really bad and I was 5 seconds slower than practice. No time to troubleshoot so we replaced; plugs, wires, coil, ECU, battery, fuel filter and cleaned the carbs. Tightened every electrical connection we could and the miss was gone Wed. But the car would not downshift correctly. I did manage a low 1:27 and discovered I could not get the power down like my competitors. I don't get the kind of comparison during the normal season, we I made some big changes to shock settings - vastly reduced rebound.

Thurs qual was my last chance for a good run. Second lap out I was in the low 1:27's in some traffic. I had some space for lap 3 but the surface flag was out in T1. Well I saw the cars in front of me did not crash so I went as fast as I could through T1. That was fine but then I saw the big line of fluid up to the next corner and a car in the middle of the track. That lap was shot. Next lap that corner was very slippery. I swear I could see the waves in the puddles of fluid on track. The entire session was gone as far as fast laps. I was stuck with low 1:27 and had a car that was pushing badly.

Made another shock change and managed to test that in the Sat am warmup (AKA Last Chance to Crash as the workers like to call it). Decided to dial in a touch of understeer for the race but should not have done that. That is another story.

So now you have the tales of qualifying. It is a tough situation when you force yourself into the last qual session needed to get a good time so I started mid-pack.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:42 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Mark (Sunday Driver), I think that this is all your fault. You couldn't just finish last, and then CCs boorishness might have been appropriate. No, you had to finish in the top ten, and prove your ability to setup a DSR and race it. Now everyone is all upset and confused. CC doesn't know how to congratulate you properly. Poor Mike thinks that he is Frank now. F110 seems to be a defender of CC. This all has me terribly upset, and I hope that you don't pull another stunt like this next year. I hope that for all of our sakes, if next year you find yourself in the lead, pull off. Show some real character and just go slow!
I am so sorry and all I can say is "Excuuuuuuuuuuse meeeeeeee".

I will try to go slower next year and if I can't then perhaps I can at least do something spectacular for TV.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:44 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Larry,
I tried to help Mark achieve a proper HWFM finish and lowered his tire pressure to somewhere around 8lbs front and 9lbs in the back and damn it if he wasn't even faster!
We all know that the factory suggested 36/44 is too high so I asked Greg to lower it just a shade. In true HWFM fashion, he determined that was low is better than a little low so we used 8/10. It worked really well so I am sure Greg is going to try that on his 993 next time out.

Quick Reply: Sunday Driver - RunOff results