The value of track day tech line

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 10:51 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
[rant mode]
Along those same lines: perhaps the most disturbing DE participant for me is someone who takes his car to a pre-event (or trackside tech) and when he gets the stamp of approval, he breathes a sigh of relief because what he knew was a problem on his car wasn't caught at tech! An example of this would be someone with CV joints that are starting to go who goes through tech and his happy he's driving slow and there aren't the typical noises coming from his axle. GRR! To all DE particiapants: If you know there may be something wrong with your car, don't go to tech hoping that it won't be discovered! FIX THE PROBLEM! You may not think it will effect your car, but if it does, it can be disasterous on the track!
[/rant mode]
Let me add my own experience. I took my car through the pre-event tech suspecting that my rear top monoballs were worn out. Before the guys had a chance to catch it (and I'm sure they would have), I was pointing it out to them and shaking the wheel. Sure enough, it was a problem and I had a chance to fix it before the event. I've always took the attitude that I'd rather have a problem caught at a pre-tech line (whether that be before the event or the morning of) rather than catching the problem when I'm driving on the track.

With that being said, I think the morning tech line is of dubious value. It's great for the lower run group people because they might not have a good idea of what they should be looking for. What might be best for the lower run group guys is that they either do a classroom of things to look for, or they become morning tech workers so they can get more experience of looking at cars. For upper run group people, they shouldn't be relying on other people to inspect their cars. Yes, a second set of eyes can help, but if you don't know how to look over your own car, then you should find a tech guy and get a quick education.

As someone else said, the cars in the higher run groups are more like race cars and they are being driven much harder. As such, they should be given quick checks in between runs, not just in the morning. Is there something magical about the morning that we can expect to catch all problems then? No. Problems can arise later in the day and people should be doing a quick check as the day goes on. Someone who runs out of brake pads on the last run isn't unfortunate - he's an idiot. Learn to check your own cars and we'll get fewer black flags and we'll all get more run time.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian brings up a great point: we should be checking our cars before each run! Now, I don't think it is logistally possibly to put your car up on a lift between runs, but checking the fluids, lines, motor, wheels & tires between runs is a good habit to get into.

I have found that when someone rushes to get to staging, they often forget things: like an oil cap, a valve stem cover...etc. When I find myself rushing to get to staging, I will deliberately slow myself down by re-checking my fluids, washing my windshield again, going to the bathroom a second time...etc. This way, by making myself 'late' I'm not rushing and hopefully will have everything in order before I press on the loud pedal out on the track!

I have told others to slow down when I see them rushing in the paddocks.

-Z.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:25 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

"Tech" is as much of a socialization/learning process as on track instruction. Most of the "Tech Instruction" happens informally in the paddock as instructors remind students to keep on top of brakes, tires etc, and students ask more experienced drivers about how to keep the car performing safely.... this is an ongoing process.

Morning tech is simply step one in this process...making it front and center for newbies, and reminding the student every morning that taking care of the car is very important part of the process, and making aware of the cars condition.

By upper Blue/White, morning tech is purely a formality... the students should be way beyond that by now... in fact they are doing tech.

I still think the primary function is to create a mindset... not catch loose lugnuts.... although that is useful
Old 10-04-2004, 01:30 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I have a problem with torque checking on the tech line, but I am not sure that it is a real problem. Since I began putting the torque wrench on the driver's seat whenever I do anything with the wheels I have not had a problem with my wheels 'untorquing themselves.' I believe that everytime you put that wrench on the wheel that is already torqued you are torquing it a little bit more. -- That could be a mistaken perception and someone can correct me if I am wrong. Second part of that is proper procedure for storing a torque wrench -- A torque wrench must be returned to its lowest setting after use. How many torque wrenches come out of the tool box already set at 94 or 93 pounds. Many of these out-of-calibration torque wrenches are available in the paddock at any event. There is no way they are remotely close to accurate. How many torque wrenches are regularly calibrated? Are any of these torque wrenches used on the tech line?
Old 10-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Herod
Second part of that is proper procedure for storing a torque wrench -- A torque wrench must be returned to its lowest setting after use. How many torque wrenches come out of the tool box already set at 94 or 93 pounds. Many of these out-of-calibration torque wrenches are available in the paddock at any event. There is no way they are remotely close to accurate. How many torque wrenches are regularly calibrated? Are any of these torque wrenches used on the tech line?
I'll have to do some digging, but I recall a thread where people did some testing of wrenches that weren't reset back to their lowest setting. In practice, it made very little difference in the calibration of the wrench. I believe it may make more difference towards the longevity of the wrench, though.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Perhaps that is so; but, in a past life (as a maintenance officer) I had a PMEL (Precision Measure Measurement Equipment Lab) and this was an important calibration. I can't remember how many days between inspections; but, we took it seriously in the aircraft maintenance business.

Quick Reply: The value of track day tech line