Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI -- Dunlop Supersport Race

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 10:48 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I just got my 285/245's in today. They look great but I will not mount until next year. I looked at the date code it is 2602 whick I assume is the 26th week of 2002. I then looked at my MPSC's that I jsut bought this summer and they are 2402. So no real difference

Mike
Old 09-29-2004, 01:00 AM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I do not think tires from most manufacturers have a born on date of yesterday, or even today like Bud :-))
Old 09-29-2004, 09:50 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the Dunlop this past weekend at Pocono. They are not bad at all.

However, I recommend shaving for track use. I got some tread chunking for the first two days and the last day was better as the tread wear off a little bit.

Great tires for the price and comfortable on the street.

Kam
Old 09-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Kam, how did the new suspension work?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:09 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry:

It worked so great that I flew off the track and blew my right rear shock. Ed was behind me and he saw the entire bottom of my car when I bounced off the ground 4 to 5 feet. I was still able to drive for the rest of the weekend. The 996's are so strong. I'm impressed.

I can now accelerate out of the corner instead of feathering through. I think most of the improvements came from the negative camber.

The PSS-9 is still on the soft side so the car is not as solid as I like but for a daily driver that goes to track events, its the best suspension you can buy today for a 996.

Kam
Old 09-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think these tires have been around for 2 years. I received mine and they look identical to the ones I purchased from Sasco, down to the markings, letterings, etc. I have several track events on my mounted set, decent amount of street miles and I drove them through the remnants of hurricane Ivan on my way to the NASA event at Summit Point. Made it there, ran 6 ~25 minute sessions and drove home. Will run a 3 day event this weekend on them. I'm not a pro driver and these are only DE events, but as far as my limited perception can tell, they are decent tires.

DISCLAIMER: No affiliation with the vendor, the tire manufacturer, the operator of this Board, yada, yada, yada . . .

Regards,
Sam
Old 09-29-2004, 11:09 AM
techno99
Racer

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on these tires for my stock 96 C4S with stock turbo twist rims. Does anyone want to guess what size I should get? I will primarily using these tires for DEs. I've heard rumors that these tires run very wide and don't want to resort to rolling the fenders.

Also, does anyone know if the price will continue into October, or will it expire at the end of September?
Old 09-29-2004, 12:47 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Hey Sam,
See you this weekend. I also picked up a set and will be trying them out for the first time. I was running the Pcorsa's.

Todd
Old 09-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW, I don't believe these tires have been around for two years either...the Dunlop test program began this year as I received my set in February.

I gotta tell you, these things are an all out blast on the street...which allows me to keep somewhat of an "edge" for the track...not that I drive around like a crazed lunatic, you know what I mean.

Sam, no affiliation eh?? ...what was that HUGE banner and the credit card machine you had at Summit Point for then? Guess I won't mention the STACKS of tires you had sitting there.

I wish I knew you were running them, I would've rode with you to see your impressions and feel how well they work in a 993...they're not too shabby on track with the 964, but I still love my Hoosiers!
Old 09-29-2004, 11:20 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

has anyone ever 'chunked' their MPSCs? I've yet to see it happen if yes.... that tells me a lot... + I saw those Dunlop's almost completely worn out after just 3 20 minute sessions... ....not the same for the MPSCs .... I dunno.. I still think the MPSCs are well worth it... pay twice as much BUT last more than twice as long says a lot to me!
Old 09-29-2004, 11:36 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

ceboyd, I have serious doubts with your claim that you saw a set of Dunlop Super Sport RACE tires wear out in 3 twenty minute sessions. I've used my set at three track events, with a minimum of 5 sessions a weekend with no considerable chunking issues, and I still continue to drive on the streets with them at an acceptable tread and wear level.

I am curious to hear more about this car that wore them out in three sessions...I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm not calling you a liar - I just have my doubts.

I find it hard to believe that Dunlop would create such a tire that would give up after 3 sessions...if they did, I'd be curious to know the make, model and year of the car they were on, also the weight, what track...and certainly, WHAT PRESSURES they were run at.

I started out at 34psi all the way around and quickly learned that two lbs less would be needed...another session at 32 lbs all the way around found me letting another two lbs out to make 30 lbs, all four corners.

When I autocrossed a few weekends ago, I believe that 32-33 lbs was the ticket, as they didn't get as warm as they would at the track.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:43 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've run my DSSRs for the equivalent of 9 DE days, ~36 sessions, and have had no chunking. My car is ~ 440 hp and 3240 lbs. I run mid 30's hot pressures. I post this to say I'm skeptical about the chunking, too.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:54 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
ceboyd, I have serious doubts with your claim that you saw a set of Dunlop Super Sport RACE tires wear out in 3 twenty minute sessions. I've used my set at three track events, with a minimum of 5 sessions a weekend with no considerable chunking issues, and I still continue to drive on the streets with them at an acceptable tread and wear level.

I am curious to hear more about this car that wore them out in three sessions...I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm not calling you a liar - I just have my doubts.

I find it hard to believe that Dunlop would create such a tire that would give up after 3 sessions...if they did, I'd be curious to know the make, model and year of the car they were on, also the weight, what track...and certainly, WHAT PRESSURES they were run at.

I started out at 34psi all the way around and quickly learned that two lbs less would be needed...another session at 32 lbs all the way around found me letting another two lbs out to make 30 lbs, all four corners.

When I autocrossed a few weekends ago, I believe that 32-33 lbs was the ticket, as they didn't get as warm as they would at the track.

the car was a heavily modified 2.7 Audi S4 4 door (so heavy car.. very good driver)

..it was NOT a porsche.. so perhaps that played a role...

tires were NOT heat cycled.. NOT shaved... ...and yes, I saw little left of the sides due to the chunking.... don't know what the pressures were... didn't ask
Old 09-30-2004, 02:41 AM
kary993
Drifting

I will be running the DSSR tire this weekend during some session at Pahrump. This track is very hard on tires so I will measure my current tire depth and again after I run them.

I concur with those that have provided input about chunking and wear. It seems impossible to wear out this tire in just 1 hour of running on a track. I have already run my tire one hour at laguna without issue and I do drive hard. My car weighs in at 3045 lbs and have run this tire in an auto-x and a driving school and on the street for about 2k miles.

If indeed this Audi driver is a great driver (even a pro) then if they were to have used MPSC or any other R compound tire I believe these would have worn out in 30 minutes or less. This DSSR is a great tire for stick and for wear from my experience. Ceboyd, your claim is a bit out of context since we do not know what this Audi driver does to other tires....what was he/she doing? Drifting?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:12 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

"...what was he/she doing? Drifting?"

That was my NEXT question! :P

Thanks for the input ceboyd.

FWIW, another friend of mine (on the "test" program) had a set on his E36 M3 and ran two track events and a U.S. Drift event - ok, he had to change them out after that event.

Fact on fact here...these are NOT the tire you would use for all out racing, they are designed to drive to the track, drive the event (with considerable "stiction")...and drive home...several times.

Quick Reply: FYI -- Dunlop Supersport Race