Sponsored by:

Relative Fit between Bell helmet models

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Glenn from Denver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relative Fit between Bell helmet models

I've been wearing a Bell M2 for several years now. I like the helmet very much as it fits my big fat head and it feels comfortable even over long periods of wear. It also stinks like hell and makes me want to yak every time I wear it! The SA95 rating is going to expire at the end of next season anyway, so I figure it's time for a new helmet.

I've recently acquired a cool shirt/helmet air system, so a forced air model is in the cards. Right now, I'm interested in the Bell Vortex FA since I can get it in the same head size as my M2.

I suspect that there is going to be some difference in the inner shape of the helmet but will there be a significant difference?

Anybody have experience with both helmets?
Old 09-23-2004, 05:40 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glenn, I have a big fat head as well, but then again you know that already. I've had a Bell Vortex for a while now and it's okay, but I've never felt it was quite as comfortable as my older Bell helmet, which is an M2 or M3, can't recall. The space inside the helmet is about the same, but the opening for the eyes is much smaller and results in a somewhat claustrophobic feel at times. I don't notice it while racing, but if I have to sit on the grid or otherwise for a while it's not much fun.

You're welcome to try mine on for size. I don't believe that there is a bigger size unless there is a special order process.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Glenn from Denver
Instructor

Thanks Skip...what size is your noggin? Mine is a 7 1/2.

Are you going to wander out to Second Creek on the 10-9/10? I'll be out there as a last stress reliever before my project goes live. If so, I'll try it on then.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorta related, to keep your helmet from reeking and getting nasty, get a couple balaclavas and use a new clean one each time you put the helmet on. The added fire safety is a bonus.

Sam
Old 09-23-2004, 06:19 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may also want to consider the G-Force Air. It's not only a forced air helmet, it's Kevlar/Fiberglass as well. I've worn other Bell helmets in the past as well as a Simpson and the G-Force is a nice helmet and I like the fit much better (although your head my like the Bell better). Might be worth trying on the G-Force if you can find it.
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2004, 08:20 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Mine doesn't have the "mung" smell, rather it is the glue smell! Highly chemical and it hasn't really gone away even though I've aired it out and have had the helmet for years!
Old 09-24-2004, 10:39 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Helmet Fresh Helmet Odor Remover
Old 09-24-2004, 07:49 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a Bell M2 Pro (still do, but after accident & obvious signs on outer shell of hitting roll cage, thought it best to take the lid out of service).

Just purchased a Bell Vortex from OG Racing. Hat size 7 1/2, helmet size 7 1/2 - fits perfect.

BTW, if you buy a helmet through OGR and after trying it on it doesn't fit, you can exchange for the proper size, just don't remove any stickers or stuff from the helmet, get a return # from OGR, ship back to them (you pay shipping this time), and they will send you another.

Richard
Old 09-25-2004, 11:07 AM
Glenn from Denver
Instructor

Thanks Richard!
Old 09-25-2004, 04:18 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glenn, yes, I'll be at 2nd Creek for the "last blast" DE. I'm going to drive the 997 and will probably wear my older helmet, but I'll bring along the Vortex for you to try out. I think it's a 7 1/2, and it's the biggest that was available at the time.

The trick to keeping a helmet from getting stinky is to let it air out. Too many people stick them in a helmet or suit bag just after using it. Of course this works better when the climate is dry like it is in Colorado. I have also used Febreeze on a helmet that I put into a bag without letting it dry, and it cleared up the stink but left it with a perfumed smell. Get something neutral, not a scented version.

Quick Reply: Relative Fit between Bell helmet models