Sponsored by:

Optimoly HT - what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 11:19 AM
e911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optimoly HT - what is it?

Per the bentley manual prior to attcahing the transmission to the engine the spline should be lubricated with Optimoly HT or equivalent.

What is this , where do you get it ? and what are the equivalents?

Thanks
Earl
Old 09-23-2004, 05:52 PM
Mark in Denver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's High Temp engine assembly grease and I think you can get it at a good Porsche delear parts department. When I replaced the clutch on my 944 last year I used some cheap engine assembly grease from the local auto parts store. Nothing has locked up or fallen off since then.

Mark
Old 09-23-2004, 06:16 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If it's on splines, it's likely something similar to a white lithium grease, something that can take shear loads and keep the splines from rusting or sticking over time.

Sam
Old 09-24-2004, 02:37 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't remember if if was HT, but I'm familiar with that lube. When I got my 993, I had a problem with the clutch disc hanging up on the spline, and not easily releasing from the flywheel. That is what the optimoly is for--to lube the shaft and last atleast the life of the clutch. Otherwise you'll get corrosion and hanging up. Optimol is what's specified by the factory, and I had a heck of a time getting it. Turns out most dealerships can order it. A lot of shops said they used wurth antisieze compound instead.

Quick Reply: Optimoly HT - what is it?