What happened at Lime Rock

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 05:09 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What happened at Lime Rock

Rainy piece of s**t day... any racing at LRP Club Race? My car went on the trailer in the AM and I left (except I don;t have a trailer... details details)
Old 09-20-2004, 05:51 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, two pretty good races in the afternoon. They combined the two slower groups and the two faster groups, and each ran a 30 minute sprint in rapidly drying conditions (except for the puddles at
the apexes.)

The results are at cvrpca.org.

You missed the big excitement of the day, when fisticuffs broke out between two of the competitors and the state troopers were called out.

gb
Old 09-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Al P.
Pro

Originally Posted by 944Ecology
Yep, two pretty good races in the afternoon. They combined the two slower groups and the two faster groups, and each ran a 30 minute sprint in rapidly drying conditions (except for the puddles at
the apexes.)

The results are at cvrpca.org.

You missed the big excitement of the day, when fisticuffs broke out between two of the competitors and the state troopers were called out.

gb
George when did that happen? Addmitedly I was parked in the far paddock but you'd think I would have noticed the state police.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:55 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Happened about 11:30 or noon, near the concession stand, as I was told.

gb
Old 09-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Putnam Park was the exact opposite. Beautilful sunny days and no State Police.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Al P.
Pro

Wierd, what could have brought something like that on
Old 09-20-2004, 06:29 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LRP report, yellow/red group slant

John, I'm sorry you departed, I can sure understand the rationale, but actually it ended up being some good racing. I hovered around your car a couple times to say hello but you were elsewhere, probably drinking hot chocolate in a warm corner. I perservered out of sheer stubborness.

In brief: Friday was a pretty good track day, not too hot or cold, lots of cloud cover. Mostly it was dampened by apprehension that the rain would start any second. This was one of only two races I'll get to this year, so I was determined to run as long as the track stayed open. Still Friday was plenty risky and perennial G class front runner Jim Lewis spun into the no-name embankment after slipping on wet curbing in session 3. He'd posted a stunning 1:02 in the first session. Friday night I lay awake listening to Rip-Van-Winkle style thunderclaps echoing across the Berkshires. Monsoon-like rain all night long, followed by schizophrenic downpour, sprinkle, cloudburst, drizzle all morning. Warm ups were delayed to 10am, then 11am, then til further notice. The maintenance guys doggedly tractoring puddles onto the shoulders gave up their losing battle. Finally it began to look clear. A noonish drivers meeting announced consolidation from four run groups to two. For qualifiing, the track was pretty damp. One long river down the center of the front straight, sheets of water streaming across no-name, with a bonus stream right at turn in for the uphill. West bend was fine, the apex of the downhill was aquatic. My fast lap was 1:24, which believe it or not was good for 14th in a ~40 car field so that gives an idea of the pace. For the race, (at 2pm) folks were still on rain tires but it was drying fast. By the time I quit running (more in a moment) I was driving the dry line everywhere but the uphill which got very muddy. I have never actually seen a buffalo stampede on a frozen lake, but I have seen the start of the '04 PCA LRP race so I have the idea. There were four cars (at least) off at the exit of 3, on the inside, which was good because I'll bet the lake at the outside of 3 was 3-4 feet deep. I found I could out accelerate the 944 turbos almost everywhere but especially up the uphill, I guess they could not put the power down where a 911 could. The traffic was pretty intense. Twice I passed 2-3 cars by hugging the inside of big bend while everyone stayed out at the edge on the rain line. There was a giant puddle at the second apex and I discovered that making a big splash with the unweighted front right tire tended to back folks off leaving a clear track out into 3. Halfway through, I was somehow running first in G, about 5th overall, and just about hyperventilating. However, a glorious outcome was not to be, as I was tapped from behind by a buddy in G who slid under braking into T1. We both got the black flag. Due to attrition I still got third as there were only 2 G's left and I was the last to leave the track!

By the end of the second race the track was really dry, so much so that the GTR cars on slicks stormed easily to the front. I wasn't planning to stay, but the line to see the scrut, medical, then the chief scrut was pretty long...

So it was some fun racing but definitely high risks of a 13 or worse, and not at all clear until about the time the pace car pulled out that any real racing could happen.

Hat's off big time to all the corner workers, mostly CVR volunteers who stood in the rain for hours dutifully waiting to see if a race would break out. They are heros.

Brandon
G #77
Old 09-20-2004, 07:46 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The races were fantastic, some of the best racing I've seen in PCA. Highlights in the first group were Mike Piera hard charging back after his hood opened to come in second overall in the group right behind Justin Tietjien's outstanding rookie group win - taking full advantage of a great Turbo S setup and a textbook rain line. Second race saw Spencer *** in an '04 Cup battle with Steve Savino's mega horsepower GT1 944 for first place with Savino taking the group checker as his car blew up at start finish. *** made a legendary pass in Big Bend using a 914 as a pick. Also Jeff Burger (964 Cup) had an exciting race with Paul Orwitz (GT3 Cup) until Jeff went agricultural on the right hander saving but minor damage to his bumpers. Good stuff.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:50 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

John,
Did you race? I didn't see you out there. I never found much grip but somehow survived without damage
Dan J
Old 09-20-2004, 11:01 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Do all the guys with this bumping nad agricultural work end up with 13's?

Don
Old 09-21-2004, 11:56 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like fun. My gearbox jammed Friday Pm, so I was out of commission. Otherwise I would have stuck it out. Brandon, contrats on leading, even if it was temporary... hope you didn;t get a 13.

Next year....
Old 09-21-2004, 12:00 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW... anyone know the scoop on the pugilists?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:52 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It wasn't really a fistfight, only a shoving match and one of them (a lawyer) called the police.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:11 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
one of them (a lawyer) called the police.
Lawyers
Old 09-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Damn. My Dueling Pistols would have been a perfect solution.

Lime Rock has the best hot dogs in North America.

Sorry I missed it!

Quick Reply: What happened at Lime Rock