Sponsored by:

Trailer Winch Rec's

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trailer Winch Rec's

I need to purchase a winch for my open trailer. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what winch to buy? Would the typical four-wheeler winch work in this application?

Any input would be much appreciated. TIA.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

I can't recommend a specific winch but I can offer some suggestions on mounting. I ordered a winch with my trailer when I bought it. The manufacturer mounted it in the middle of the floor at the front and the trap door that covers it has a roller on it to support the cable when operating. What it doesn't have is any sort of guide mechanism to keep the cable straight regardless of what angle the winch is at relative to the tow hook.

My front tow hook is offset to the passenger side of the car. The closer the car gets to the front of the trailer, the more the cable tries to slip off the roller and jam on the take up reel. This is because it is pulling at an ever greater angle as the car gets closer to the winch. If I had known about this in advance, I would have had them mount the winch on the same side of the trailer as the tow hook and I wouldn't have the problem.

It looks like your tow hook is also offset to the passenger side, so the same consideration will apply. If you can mount the winch over on that side of the trailer, I think you will find it much easier to use.

Karl
Old 09-08-2004, 01:38 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice from Karl;

I'll add some that no one ever thinks of until they need it. DOUBLE the capacity of your car in the winch you buy. You won't think of it until you need to DRAG the car in. Broken trans, flatted or ruined wheels, wheels missing, no suspension... whatever.

If you've ever tried to skid a car into a trailer on locked wheels or a floor jack, you already know this. If you never have, just trust me and buy a BIG winch.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:22 AM
P.Po
Instructor

Great advice John. I would have never thought of that until it was too late!!

-Patrick
Old 09-09-2004, 11:51 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Among the many compromises built into my ultra-light towing rig (Eurovan VR6 + 800lb trailex + 2550lb 911) I am especially proud of the winch: a 5000lb boat winch from WalMart, ~$20. It lives in the bottom of the toolbox, but on the two occaisions I've needed it, quickly bolt it to the trailer using Trailex's captive bolt system. It uses a 10Klb nylon strap with a hook on the end. Light, cheap, out of the way until you need it. Dunno if it would drag a wrecked car onto the trailer and don't ever want to find out...
B
Old 09-09-2004, 02:19 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On all my trailers I have always used SuperWinch S4500. It is very heavy duty. Just make sure to get the roller opening not the hawse opening. The roller opening has rollers on all 4 sides to handle angle pulls.

Remember, this is rolling capacity since you are not lifting the car. So a 4500 lb superwinch will pull just about anything you can fit in your trailer.

From my experiences, SuperWinch is the most common I have seen (guessing 80%+). From small trailers to large custom haulers.

Hope that helps. I know there are several good brands. I have just had good luck with this one...

Norm
Old 09-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Thanks all. I appreciate it. Great advice on the location of the winch.

Kim, I'll take a look.

The winch will be used every time I put the car on the trailer as I have a very tall first gear. A slow roll is virtually impossible without eating the clutch.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:52 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
Mark - I can't recommend a brand as I've never had to use mine, but I have Warn winches on both trailers. These guys have decent prices and several popular brands: e-Winches.com
Kim, why would you have a winch on both trailers? Isn't the enclosed one just a spare bedroom at the house since you brought it home? What do your guests do with it??
Old 09-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I mounted my winch on the floor at the sidewall a little further toward the rear than the front tie downs, then use a chain with a pulley (winch lingo: ****** block) which can put the straight line pull in the center or off to the side as best for the car. Best reason however is that the floor is clear and the front is still usable for cabinets.

Quick Reply: Trailer Winch Rec's