Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety Devices vs. OG Racing Bolt in Cage

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 09:38 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can vouch for what Tom says, the Safety Devices cage needs to have a diagonal brace from the main rollhoop to the main support leg, basically "within the plane of the hoop" - for NASA regs.

This is VERY easy to add, for maybe $100 any fab shop can do it.

After much consideration, I purchased a SD cage for my 964, with all the tabs and diagonals...except for the "proper" one for NASA regs. I did not realize this until the cage got to my front doorstep...we live, we learn.

The SD cage has a diagonal that starts from the main rollhoop and goes to the right rear leg...good for PCA...not for NASA.

As for the window net issue, yes, a "PCA approved" net is just about anything that holds a net across the window opening, as for NASA regs. - it has to DROP DOWN and cannot be attached to the door/windowframe whatsoever...just the cage...and yes, a FULL cage is required for NASA racing.

As for quality, I feel that the Safety Devices cage and the OG cage compare to each other well...I could've just went and picked up an OG cage, being that I live in Va. - but something told me to get the SD cage - no regrets.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Race911: I realize that PRC rules and NASA's are slightly different. I was interested in NASA rules as I was looking at getting my provisional license through NASA. In that case, the final checkout in HPDE4 must be in a car that passes NASA tech for racing. I had my car teched and was told it needed the roll bar modifications before I would pass and window nets (I also lacked the obligatory NASA stickers on all 4 sides). Other than that I was fine.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:46 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Tom,

Talk to Masuo or Jeff. I can't see any reason why you'd get hammered over that if you're going to race with us in PRC. With all the other junk (drivers and equipment) in HPDE 4, NASA should look closer to home.

Just my observations though!
Old 09-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken, I'll do that.

Quick Reply: Safety Devices vs. OG Racing Bolt in Cage