Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 07:18 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

CC, here you go.... The transponder is what's used worldwide...it does many things....this magical little box that is the end-all, tell-all. Some drivers hate it, the fast ones love it... It separates the men from the boys, filters out any tall tales the driver has about being 'flat through 7, honest'....you get the idea

Dont get me wrong, DAS has its place in the modern race car, by all means I agree with you. But it is not THE driver/engineer tool, just one of the tools teams have in their toobox...
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Transponder.doc (80.0 KB, 95 views)
Old 08-23-2004, 07:26 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by macnewma
Chris-

I think that setup is the final missing piece between myself and Formula One glory! Sign me up!

Max
Yeah, these cars are a bit crude by F1 standards (and budgets), but with 900hp and 4700lbs. of downforce, who's arguing
Old 08-23-2004, 07:34 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

It took some work for me to see the actual picture of the Holy Grail of data acquisiton. So let me re-post it:
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2004, 08:09 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Thanks Jack, I accidentally uploaded it as a word file..oops..
Old 08-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
CC, here you go.... The transponder is what's used worldwide...it does many things....this magical little box that is the end-all, tell-all. Some drivers hate it, the fast ones love it... It separates the men from the boys, filters out any tall tales the driver has about being 'flat through 7, honest'....you get the idea
I agree, to use an analogy. Laptimes talk and bull **** walks.... That is why the tall tales at a DE or similar event about lap times is pretty funny when you know you are passing that same guy once or twice a session but his "best" time is signficantly faster than yours.

Last edited by Greg Fishman; 08-23-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:38 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris W: I'm with you 100% on the "truth" of the DAS. Will you be able to offer anything on driver analysis beyond segment times? If not, let me know and I will let it go. It seams you have excellent access to some cool stuff. What is your area of expertise? Can you post a resume? Can you put me in touch with a data analysis engineer? I promise to be on my best behavior with anyone you might refer me to.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:49 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

To be honest, we as Champ Car team, we never looked at data to improve the driver, rather to improve the car for the driver to get the most out of it, any given day of competition. In reality, racing is a different animal vs. DE.

The way I look at it, DAS is a great tool for extracting hundredth's or even tenths. Speaking of myself, I look for seconds per lap. This is why I feel driver instructing is more important for gaining seconds..

Will post more about my role later tonight as my lovely wife and I are meeting some friends for dinner, gotta go..

Last edited by chris walrod; 08-24-2004 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:06 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

So nowawadays a stopwatch is in the form of a blue box, I see.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:28 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

CC, sent you a PM regarding your previous post.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:08 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ColorChange
Can you post a resume?
Your kidding, right!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:17 AM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ColorChange
Chris W: I'm with you 100% on the "truth" of the DAS. Will you be able to offer anything on driver analysis beyond segment times? If not, let me know and I will let it go. It seams you have excellent access to some cool stuff. What is your area of expertise? Can you post a resume? Can you put me in touch with a data analysis engineer? I promise to be on my best behavior with anyone you might refer me to.
He promises to be on his best behaviour. Hopefully, that will be in stark contrast to his behaviour on this forum.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

CC,
The problem I have with that article is how it only looks at a 180 degree turn and speeds/times to 500ft and 5000ft. As was pointed out many tracks only have one 180 degree turn but many 90 degree or less turns.

If I had to pick one type of turn that a high hp car would take a different line is in this type of turn. At Putnam there is a perfect example of this type of turn and your car might be better on a "double apex" line than a momentum type line. The reason I think your car might do better is not due to the power, but due to the power vs. grip, especially on street tires you will have grip issues. But on R compounds and with AWD you may find out that the momentum line is better. A friend with a C4S runs exactly the same line I will teach you. I will show you the other way but frankly don't want you to run it that way because it puts you in more danger of running off track and/or spinning.

Besides this turn I really can't think of anywhere else on that track that a car might use a really different line. Also if you drive the momentum line only on your car you will still be quick, running a different line is not neccesary to go fast, running a consistent line near the limit will be. Once you can do that lap after lap then maybe we can try the different line.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:16 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Greg, check out the Chris C post for more discussion. A hairpin makes it easiest to understand but the same logic applies to normal turns. I also agree about consistency first. Look forward to working with you at Putnam.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z-man
Ok, I'll ask. . . CC: What type of instructor are you indeed looking for?
Tim: I am curious to hear what instructor best suits you. Please respond to this question.

Thanks,
-Z.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:22 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Z-man: One that understands and supports the concepts of trail braking, G-sum, etc. Preferably one that is fairly technical so that it will be easier for us to communicate. One that is extremely direct and operates on a fast bandwidth (talks and thinks quickly). Ideally high powered 911 experience, a proven racer, and DAS analysis expertise. Is this what you are looking for?

Quick Reply: The ColorChange Question