Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam, are you mad yet?
Old 07-11-2004, 08:30 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

runs cooler w/out the restriction of the shroud/fan assembly.
How much cooler than 3 degrees over where the thermostat opens do I need to be? That's just me of course.
don't see any conceivable way you would hear a cooling fan running on an unmuffled race car.
We up here in the Nawth generally have more cooth than that. Anyhow, when you run at Lime Rock, you can't do that. That and you get tired of being DEEF! Speaking of something else with no real point...
Old 07-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say keep the fans. Mine are wired with a switch, and the only problem I have had with that, is forgetting to turn it off when I go back on the track. I have thought of putting a huge red light in so I know when they are on.

One other thing, I now have a 944 Turbo radiator on my 1983 944 race car, and it works better than I had imagined. Nort Northam had an expensive aftermarke radiator, and changed to a 944 Turbo, and it was better. I am not sure you Class I PCA types can use a turbo radiator, but we in SCCA can.

I still use the fans to cool the car down fast.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
Old 07-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Originally posted by Jim @ EuroWerks
Adam, are you mad yet?
LOL nah man, you?

John, irrespective of having a physical muffler, its pretty easy to call a ~100dB car "unmuffled" irrespective of it technically having a "muffler." In my case, I began running two Dynomax in-line and didn't show up on sound. Nonetheless, I severely doubt you can hear a fan switch on - but I wouldn't know because I haven't had a radiator fan in the car for 3 years. Have fun with that cooth one, sound limits are 103dB for SCCA and I am just shooting to be below sound (and currently am not even showing up on sound w/ the second "muffler").

Originally posted by SeaCay
How about wire 'em up, put 'em in place, and then only use them if (actually when) you need them. Look at any of the race car projects that have been posted around here, all of them have fans. Control of oil temp helps, but it won't keep you from toasting your HG like water will.
That's missing the point. Everything that is not permeable in the fans' attachment reduces airflow through the oil cooler and radiator. The fans themselves move at the same speed as the air when not on. They do not cool the car additionally at high speeds, they (and their shrouds and motors) are along for the ride. The removal of this entire assembly is what folks do to COOL the car on track. You get the car too hot in the paddock, you can always put a squirel cage in front of it (never needed to in 38 races including pits stops and driver changes but if you say so), get a car too hot at speed, start coasting.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

No man, who luv's ya!
Old 07-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about.....

A single fan?

Leave one side open for better flow while moving and one side with fan for red flag periods or delays on the grid, etc.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:45 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I run them manually from a switch (actually, the A/C switch with the A/C relay removed) and have the thermo-switch still in place. I need them when I'm ******* a car, especially a 911 with all the heat coming from the back of those cars, and on the cool down/transit to the paddock.

Quick Reply: cooling fans on 944