Sponsored by:

VIR Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004 | 12:29 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default VIR Club Race

I am considering doing the VIR club race and would like to hear from those who have done one.
I have been there for three NJJR de's but no race. One group,Grand Am support race,practice time ?
Also anyone going ?
Thanks Gregg
Old 06-29-2004 | 01:07 PM
78SC
Instructor

Default VIR

I plan on doing the VIR race. I did an HSR race at VIR last year and had a blast. Going up the climbing esses at full tilt is plenty exciting and it will be fun to watch the pros at work.
Old 06-29-2004 | 01:09 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Gregg,

I plan on being there. Stop by and say hi.
Old 06-29-2004 | 01:14 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Gregg,
I went to the first PCA race at VIR two years ago and had a good time.
Not a ton of track time but considering the event I was happy. Only issue is if guys screw up and need a tow or an ambulance, etc your session will be over, it is what is termed a "time-certain" event. No make up sessions or getting 5 or 10 minutes behind schedule.

Check the other thread out regarding this race but it seems that PCA will have 4 sessions on Friday and a 40 minute sprint race on Sat and an hour enduro on Sunday. If they do it like they did two years ago there is no qualifying session but just take the fastest lap from the 4 practice/qualifying sessions to determine the grid. It adds another issue to factor into your strategy. Hopefully they use the sprint race results to determine the enduro grid.
Old 06-29-2004 | 01:17 PM
78SC
Instructor

It looks like many of the sessions are in the morning so we will stand a better chance of not having a session cancelled etc...
Old 06-30-2004 | 12:07 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Hey Mark,

I was thinking of making VIR my first race, but given all the other stuff going on there, I think I'll opt for the less crowded field at CMP instead. Still I will definetely make it up there to watch. I've got my checkride scheduled for 9/17 so hopefully I'll be in the game with all you guys soon !!

Bill Martin
Old 06-30-2004 | 12:23 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill, as I understand it, because of the scheduling nature of the VIR race, there will be not be a rookie candidate school. There aren't any 'rolling starts' on the schedule. I believe only rookies and Full license holders are welcomed. FWIW, CMP is a great track for a first race, especially since you get two races in one weekend
Old 06-30-2004 | 12:45 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Hey, Bill,

Welcome to Rennlist! I've tried calling your cell phone a bunch of times to thank you for running the radios for me at the Glen but your voice mail isn't activated. Anyway, I wanted to give you the Metro NY door prize coupon I won that weekend as a thank you. PM me so I can get it out to you if you're interested in it.
Old 06-30-2004 | 01:00 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Hi Manny,

I didn't even check to see whether or not they had a rookie candidate school, but that's ok. I'm happy to start at CMP and then I'll make Roebling #2. Are you going to VIR Manny ?

Mark,

Thankyou very much for the offer, but believe me just getting to help out was thanks enough. I had a blast that weekend at the Glen, but it was tough watching you guys have all the fun. Next year I'll get to watch from a little closer. Sorry about the phone. I think I saw some numbers on my hit list with a 410 area code but I didn't get a chance to return the call. I'll see you up at VIR. I'll be there in mid- July also to run with the Viper dudes !!

Bill
Old 06-30-2004 | 01:34 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Come on, Bill, please take it if you plan on running with Metro. I don't have any plans to do so this season, so you should snag it if you want to do a DE with them.

I know it was tough watching us race while you and your car were chomping at the bit.

I'll see you at VIR!
Old 06-30-2004 | 02:01 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Mark,

I think I'm in the same boat as you. I just won't get the chance to use it this season. I will let you buy me a brew in Danville though.

Bill
Old 06-30-2004 | 11:06 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Bill,

Okay, you're on!
Old 11-16-2006 | 09:32 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
Bill, as I understand it, because of the scheduling nature of the VIR race, there will be not be a rookie candidate school. There aren't any 'rolling starts' on the schedule. I believe only rookies and Full license holders are welcomed. FWIW, CMP is a great track for a first race, especially since you get two races in one weekend
Hey Manny,

I just happened to stumble upon this, check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE1rACGAThs

There is some video of you coming out of Oak Tree.

Quick Reply: VIR Club Race