Sponsored by:

Do any of the DE regions track walk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 12:11 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,158 Likes on 1,850 Posts

You never realize the extent of the camber, or how much uphill / downhilll a particular section of the track is, until you walk it.

Invaluable information to walk the track.
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
dgrobs (08-12-2024), Matt Romanowski (08-12-2024), ProCoach (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 12:37 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,488 Likes on 642 Posts

I’m with RTR and they always do track walks. I used to give the track walk for WGI, Pitt Race and Mid-OH for my former region. The tours I led were open to everyone. Typically several newbies would attend, but there were drivers of all experience levels (including instructors) who participated.

This info is a few years old:

WGI charges a fee, and you are required to lead the tour from their truck, driven by their security personnel. There is a time limit. All joining the tour must leave together (no latecomers) as the gate is locked behind. And all must stay with the lead vehicle. If you hang back (or hoon), you’ll be asked to leave the event by WGI.

Pitt Race doesn’t charge a fee (after track hours) but does request that the group arrive/depart together (no latecomers). No time limit other than daylight. Tours typically are driven from point to point (get out, make comments, get back into vehicle & drive to next point of interest). The biggest issue for the track was not wanting someone to hang back, or join the tour late, and then drive “hot” corners to catch up to the group. If they catch anyone “hooning” they take away track walk privileges. Pitt Race personnel do not participate in track tours. They ask that the gate is closed behind the group as the tour starts (to prevent someone from going on track solo).

Mid OH did not allow driving track tours initially but in recent years allowed people to drive point to point. I don’t recall a fee but staying after hours at MID OH incurs a fee for security personnel “overtime”. Their personnel did not participate in the tour, but like Pitt Race, if there is any “hooning” you lose privileges.

I particpated in a track tour at Mosport (walked entire circuit) and it was HUGELY helpful as it is a very fast and technical (and dangerous) track.

I consider myself an experienced driver & instructor, and I do a track walk whenever possible. I always learn something new, even with a track I think I know quite well. Things change over time (repave/landscape).

I think the biggest challenge with doing a track tour is that a club typically doesn’t want to take away from expensive track time, so they are typically after hours. Tours are usually min. one hour (depending on circuit). It’s often at the end of the first day, and people are tired and hungry. It can be a tough “sell” if you’ve not done it before and don’t understand the value. But once you’ve done it, you get it.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 12:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,238 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I think the biggest challenge with doing a track tour is that a club typically doesn’t want to take away from expensive track time, so they are typically after hours.

Tours are usually min. one hour (depending on circuit). It’s often at the end of the first day, and people are tired and hungry. It can be a tough “sell” if you’ve not done it before and don’t understand the value. But once you’ve done it, you get it.
I think the idea that it "takes away" from expensive track time is false economy.

The more often it's done, the more people want to do it. Heck, we have people with PCC-Audi come every year just for the track walk with Randy Pobst, me and Mike Levitas.

Agree that for people who've never done it, they don't get it. But the people that do, they get it, as you say.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 4 users liked this post by ProCoach:
afilsinger (08-12-2024), dgrobs (08-12-2024), Matt Romanowski (08-12-2024), needmoregarage (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 01:23 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
You never realize the extent of the camber, or how much uphill / downhilll a particular section of the track is, until you walk it.
This. I had hundreds of laps at Road Atlanta before I did a track walk. Then when I was standing at the bottom of the esses looking up at turn 5, I realized how steep that hill really is (confirmed once I hiked up it).
The following 2 users liked this post by RossP:
Matt Romanowski (08-12-2024), ProCoach (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 01:28 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 986 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
It's very expensive to spend track time doing that every event for the benefit of a few. No one around me does it, but one track has a bus to ferry students around to key spots before the school starts which saves a ton of time.

IF you want to do it, ask the organizer if you can show up early or stay late after the event, preferably with a bunch of other guys who also want to do it as I can't see them signing off on a guy doing it solo unless tehy know you. Or another alternative is ask if you can help cone up the corners for markers, which will get you a free truck ride out to each corner to walk all over putting cones down without having to spend a hour walking the straights.
Our region's are always done in the evening after Beer:30. No effect on track time. Beautiful sunset often adds to the experience.
Locker537 (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 01:43 PM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Years ago, did a track walk at Mosport, it was still Mosport then, where we walked the entire track with the local pro, AND were accompanied by a van loaded with cold beer.
The following 2 users liked this post by DER951:
Locker537 (08-12-2024), ProCoach (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 03:02 PM
afilsinger
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

PCA San Diego often has a track walk and classroom chalk talk on Saturday evenings when the track goes cold - when I was one of the SDR DE CDIs I led the track walks with the event chair, and they were pretty well attended. Everybody learned something, including myself. Track walks and the discussions that occur from people seeing the track from a different perspective often give insights to even the most experienced drivers.
The following 2 users liked this post by afilsinger:
dgrobs (08-12-2024), ProCoach (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 03:10 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 203 Posts

I conduct a track walk at Sebring on Friday night of most FARA events, passing on the knowledge that was handed down to me during the numerous times I participated in.
Old 08-12-2024, 03:21 PM
quickboxster
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RossP
This. I had hundreds of laps at Road Atlanta before I did a track walk. Then when I was standing at the bottom of the esses looking up at turn 5, I realized how steep that hill really is (confirmed once I hiked up it).
That's interesting, I ran 2 days there and didn't get to do a track walk, so for me it felt like a super steep climb to 2 and then downhill, once to the esses that seemed like a slight incline and then running up 5 to 6 felt a little steeper. Humorously the only video I have of me back from that era, is from a lazy lap where I was being followed there, wish I'd known then, I'd at least have run at pace.
Old 08-12-2024, 05:59 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Had a great track walk with Rick Bye at Mosport a number of years ago. Tremendous learning opportunity my first time there.

For the DE crowd visiting and learning new tracks, it's a huge quick move up the learning curve.

Cheers

Matt
ProCoach (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 06:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,238 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Had a great track walk with Rick Bye at Mosport a number of years ago. Tremendous learning opportunity my first time there.

For the DE crowd visiting and learning new tracks, it's a huge quick move up the learning curve.

Cheers

Matt
Rick's a gem!
Old 08-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DER951
Years ago, did a track walk at Mosport, it was still Mosport then, where we walked the entire track with the local pro, AND were accompanied by a van loaded with cold beer.
They still do it, once a year at the end of the day.

Last edited by Brian 162; 08-12-2024 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2024, 10:58 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 257 Posts

UCR, Mosport.

Did a couple track walks for folks last weekend.

IMHO you should walk (or scooter, or bicycle, or be carried by Luigi) every track you drive.
The following 3 users liked this post by jdistefa:
LuigiVampa (08-13-2024), Matt Romanowski (08-13-2024), ProCoach (08-12-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 10:43 AM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

MOR does track walk at Mid-Ohio. Very valuable!

Chicago region typically does class room
chalk walk/talks before a lot of novice events.
Old Today, 05:18 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

We do track walks every event, after the track goes cold on Saturday evening.

Quick Reply: Do any of the DE regions track walk?