Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 05:33 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 360 Likes on 155 Posts
Default FS: Chillout Cipher and Quantum Pro

I couldn't think of a better time or place to list these for sale!

I have a Chillout Quantum Pro that I installed in a customer's 997.1 for sale. Customer used it once and decided he prefers ice box's... Perfect working order. Price: $3,600 shipped USA. To buy new- cooler itself $3999, plenum and 6ft hose- $380.

I also have a Cipher that the same customer bought to put in his GT4-RS CS, but Sprint Challenge only allows you to vent the system through the rear bumper which the customer did not want to do (understandably). $4700 shipped USA. New price is $5800.

--Aaron

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook

Last edited by RennPart; 07-08-2024 at 12:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tgsmith4845 (06-26-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 09:44 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Ahhh!! Where were you 5 months ago? I would have snapped up that quantum Pro. A great deal.

I bought a V3 and absolutely love it. Can't say enough good things. The FIA shirt is fantastic too.

Someone else is going to be very happy..

The following 2 users liked this post by dan212:
Charles Kline (07-10-2024), RennPart (06-25-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 04:59 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Not sure about the cooler, but the shirt is fantastic - and I've tried/most all.
Old 06-28-2024, 11:16 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

A bit off topic but what the advantages/disadvantages between the traditional "ice box" system and chillout? Thx!
Old 06-28-2024, 11:49 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Very easy answer. It works. Less fuss. Less hassle. And IMHO, It is safer.

I was cooked too many times because the ice melted and the ice box could no longer protect me from heat. Long distance races become easier because driver cooling system does not fade. Even short DE stints are comfortable too.

A few years ago, I needed three bags of saline after getting cooked in an August race because the ice had melted with the previous driver. Never mind getting cooked at VIR.

Lesson learned.

I recently bought an SPC from another racer and ripped the Cool Suit box and expensive regulator out and replaced it with the Chillout. (sold the cool box). Chillout is worth every penny to me.

The Chillout system just works and works and works for as long as I needed it.

But I also found something very interesting. Chillout takes decision out of driver cooling. I don't need to ask myself - "Will I need cooling?".

There is no preparation, loading ice and the like for me to have driver cooling constantly available. I always have it and at 11 pounds for my V3 (Pro is even lighter), I pay a minimal weight penalty.

I wear the shirt and if I want it (not just NEED it) I have it. Actually, I just turn it on and the thermostat just does what is needed.

Earlier this month at the WGI Clash there was a Red Flag. We all sat in the sun. I was comfortable. I didn't have to turn up the cooling. The thermostat was set to the exact temperature that that I want.

Then another driver said on the radio: "I sure wish I had worn my cool shirt"..
And that is your answer.

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
A bit off topic but what the advantages/disadvantages between the traditional "ice box" system and chillout? Thx!
The following 2 users liked this post by dan212:
Charles Kline (07-10-2024), PhillyGT3 (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 03:54 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Very easy answer. It works. Less fuss. Less hassle. And IMHO, It is safer.

I was cooked too many times because the ice melted and the ice box could no longer protect me from heat. Long distance races become easier because driver cooling system does not fade. Even short DE stints are comfortable too.

A few years ago, I needed three bags of saline after getting cooked in an August race because the ice had melted with the previous driver. Never mind getting cooked at VIR.

Lesson learned.

I recently bought an SPC from another racer and ripped the Cool Suit box and expensive regulator out and replaced it with the Chillout. (sold the cool box). Chillout is worth every penny to me.

The Chillout system just works and works and works for as long as I needed it.

But I also found something very interesting. Chillout takes decision out of driver cooling. I don't need to ask myself - "Will I need cooling?".

There is no preparation, loading ice and the like for me to have driver cooling constantly available. I always have it and at 11 pounds for my V3 (Pro is even lighter), I pay a minimal weight penalty.

I wear the shirt and if I want it (not just NEED it) I have it. Actually, I just turn it on and the thermostat just does what is needed.

Earlier this month at the WGI Clash there was a Red Flag. We all sat in the sun. I was comfortable. I didn't have to turn up the cooling. The thermostat was set to the exact temperature that that I want.

Then another driver said on the radio: "I sure wish I had worn my cool shirt"..
And that is your answer.
LOL, Dan,... move south and you might think differently.
We've replaced many Chillouts with Coolshirt (now Paragon) systems. Chillout just can't keep up in the southern humid heat. I had a shop that ripped out 5 Chillouts at Sebring a couple years ago and replaced them with Coolshirt for their guys.
Chillout is a good product no doubt, but not for every situation.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Matt Romanowski (07-01-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 04:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,212 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I think few folks take the time and expense of optimizing the heat exchange required for the Chillout to operate in the summer in the Southeast. This consists of a good outside fresh air intake and exhaust.

The guy that started Chillout is in the Atlanta area, IIRC. Plus they've made some good upgrades over the years.

Those Chillout users that do make those changes get good benefit and good value. At least that's my experience across thousands CS and CO users at VIR, Road Atlanta and Roebling Road (I wouldn't go to Sebring outside of November-April).

I don't care. I race open cars!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Charles Kline (07-10-2024), love_2_race (06-28-2024)

Trending Topics

Old 06-29-2024, 01:13 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,102 Likes on 1,837 Posts

I've used both. Big difference is a Coolbox with ice starts out immediately cold and then gets warmer the longer you use it. Chillout starts off cool (not cold) and stays cool.

If a Chillout is properly vented with a fan it is a much better solution for longer races. In my opinion, a Coolbox with ice is useless after 30 minutes.

Many people don't like it because they let the car bake in the sun, turn on the Chillout, and don't like that it takes a few minutes to get cool. Key to using a Chillout is the let the unit run before getting in the car to get the fluid cool.
Charles Kline (07-10-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 08:02 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 345 Posts

^^ yes
Especially for endurance racing Chillout beats an ice box hands down.My ice stays “icy” for about 40min. Past that, it’s just water
Old 06-29-2024, 10:58 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
The big differences are:
- the ice box needs managing (either through a regulator that controls the pump speed or an on/off switch) as otherwise you can deplete the ice rather quickly. For endurance racing you will need to replenish the ice at pit stops. However, while it is running it is MUCH COOLER than the Chillout system and you don’t require the tubing to get fresh air into the system and exhausting hot air outside the car.
- The Chillout system needs some time to cool things down so it’s best to run it before you get into the car while you are warming up the car. In moderate temperatures it is great but you have to have your motor running as you can’t just run it off your battery as the power requirements are huge. If your car overheats idling (like a Cup) this might not be for you. You need a good fresh air intake and you need to exhaust the hot air (preferably with a blower) for it to work well in high temps. It’s much simpler to use than the ice box.

Old 06-29-2024, 12:09 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

As stated above airflow is the key. We have found that upgrading to their "Uber" blower is mandatory for satisfactory operation
In fact I cant understand why they even offer the other options
Placement of unit is very important as well If placed in the back of a Cayman its going to struggle
When properly installed they're completely superior to any of the ice based systems
ProCoach (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 01:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,212 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Key to using a Chillout is the let the unit run before getting in the car to get the fluid cool.
Correct. Most teams I know use a plug-in 24V power supply connected to the device in the paddock, before the rest of the car is warmed up, at least a half an hour or hour before it's needed. Works perfect and is covered in the recommended FAQ's from Chillout.
Old 07-01-2024, 09:44 AM
Slow RSA
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

+1 for the Chillout. We've run both Road Atlanta and VIR in the middle of the summer and the Chillout is a game changer. Choose your naca duct location carefully, because the effectiveness is dependent upon good airflow. Like others have mentioned, if you're running enduros only your first driver will benefit from the traditional ice water systems, the Chillout keeps running as long has you have air flowing into it.
Old 07-05-2024, 02:44 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for all of the responses, very insightful.
Old 07-08-2024, 12:49 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 360 Likes on 155 Posts

Updated photos and revised pricing.

--Aaron

Quick Reply: FS: Chillout Cipher and Quantum Pro