Sponsored by:

Blue Group Practice2 at the Glen

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 06:38 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Blue Group Practice2 at the Glen

Did anybody get in car footage of the accident? I was involved in on lap five at turn nine during the second practice on Friday?

unfortunately, my tablet tablet died on impact and I was only able to get what is linked below.

https://youtu.be/ThVwHvnBO7Y
Old 06-17-2024, 07:40 PM
will968
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Sorry to see your car stuffed against the fence like that Mike. Didn't save anything from Friday. I was behind your new buddy when he hit the boot wall at the exit of 7 during qualifying and almost collected two of us.
Old 06-18-2024, 12:01 AM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Video from your meeting with the Blue Bushes.

It starts @ 55 sec

IMHO, you opted to swerve right, when a lift would have done the trick.

Hope you get it back together quickly. I left early, BC my new engine, needed more attention and was running very poorly, so no reason to tempt fate. time in the oven to be done.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k6qvKr6L5xrpF4qr5
The following users liked this post:
Manda Racing (06-25-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 11:26 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,102 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Practice is where you figure out who you might trust in a corner versus no trust. Until you have a comfort level with each driver in the group it just isn't worth it to go door to door with them.

Sorry this happened to you. The offending driver getting a penalty is never compensation for the driver who was wronged.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
brownan (06-21-2024), esscape26 (06-21-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 11:29 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by por944s2
Video from your meeting with the Blue Bushes.
It starts @ 55 sec
IMHO, you opted to swerve right, when a lift would have done the trick.
Yes, while it would have been nice if the SPB was able to hold a car width for you it sure looks like he was clearly in front and you needed to come off the throttle a touch and tuck in tight behind him. He was past you, no contact (that I saw) was made. I do not believe he should get a 13 for that..
The following 3 users liked this post by Gary R.:
Jas0nn (06-18-2024), sbelles (06-18-2024), ztnedman1 (06-19-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 12:11 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 354 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Yes, while it would have been nice if the SPB was able to hold a car width for you it sure looks like he was clearly in front and you needed to come off the throttle a touch and tuck in tight behind him. He was past you, no contact (that I saw) was made. I do not believe he should get a 13 for that..
Agreed - especially when its a practice session and you're a faster car 2 corners away from an easy passing zone ...
Old 06-18-2024, 02:45 PM
will968
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

It's a Boxster S - F class car.
Mikelly (06-18-2024)

Trending Topics

Old 06-18-2024, 03:32 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Stewards interviewed both drivers, reviewed the footage and spoke with the corner worker. I was not found at fault due to the "Room to race" rule. I will say these two things... I believe Michael thought he had cleared me. And yes, I could have backed out. I trusted he'd give me racing room as I'd given him. I put myself out there due to my losing track of how far out I was while trying to give him room. Won't happen again. This was my first sprint race weekend ever on Watkins Glen and only my 4th weekend driving the course ever (outside of sim). I hit the little strip of dirt between the pavement and the safer barrier and the car pushed to the right even more and it was all over but the banging against the wall. I can't undo it now, and I'm focused on the two things I have control over; Learning my mistakes in allowing myself to be there to run out of room and fixing the car.

Thanks Rob for sharing your video.

Mike Kelly

Last edited by Mikelly; 06-18-2024 at 03:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mikelly:
Gary R. (06-20-2024), LuigiVampa (06-18-2024), mobius911 (06-18-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 08:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by will968
It's a Boxster S - F class car.
We used to have a saying back when Stock D was well populated.. "No one can block better than an F Stock Boxster!"
The following 2 users liked this post by Gary R.:
Jared Rodeheaver (06-21-2024), Manda Racing (06-25-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 11:45 AM
esscape26
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry this happened Mike. You showed some really sharp driving in the video, so also look at all the overwhelming things that you did well.

I wasn't out there until the enduro but I asked a few drivers, harkening back to my reporter days, this, "Considering that a slight misjudgment at WG could put your fellow competitor in the wall, do you err on the safe side?" It's an interesting question to ask, which is enough, so I am not going to spill the answers.
Mikelly (06-22-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 12:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Mike, I am sorry to hear this happened!
Mikelly (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 10:12 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the comments. The biggest thing for me is now I know if I go back to the Glen that I'll be competitive. I know there was more time to be found cleaning up a few lines and making a few gear change/choices would net the 2:10s that I think the car and I are capable of there. The grip on that track is awesome.

Onward. She'll be back together and ready for Summit Point.

Originally Posted by esscape26
Sorry this happened Mike. You showed some really sharp driving in the video, so also look at all the overwhelming things that you did well.

I wasn't out there until the enduro but I asked a few drivers, harkening back to my reporter days, this, "Considering that a slight misjudgment at WG could put your fellow competitor in the wall, do you err on the safe side?" It's an interesting question to ask, which is enough, so I am not going to spill the answers.
Old 06-22-2024, 10:13 AM
esscape26
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
When I have been in the tower hearing rulings, conversing with racers, or from my own experience, just being ahead is not enough with the racing room rule; although what racing room and "ahead" mean is another story. When in doubt, I go back to practice meaning that everyone should give more room to allow racers to get to the actual races.
Old 06-22-2024, 01:29 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,802 Likes on 984 Posts

You clearly have some talent if that is your first race there. My personal opinion is everyone is at fault in an accident as it takes 2 people to hit and there is always something that could be done by someone to avoid the other. He didn't give you racing room he should have anticipated you needed, but he was also in your blindspot so you should have anticipated.

Someone said you gotta feel people out too in practice. I agree. I also personally think passing has a lot to do with the person's mentality you're racing against. You get a spectrum of people from the overly timid guys that will give you 90% of the track to the guy who has never passed a car in his life without trading paint. Figuring out who is who is pretty important.
Old 06-22-2024, 02:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,212 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
You clearly have some talent if that is your first race there.

Someone said you gotta feel people out too in practice. I agree. I also personally think passing has a lot to do with the person's mentality you're racing against. You get a spectrum of people from the overly timid guys that will give you 90% of the track to the guy who has never passed a car in his life without trading paint. Figuring out who is who is pretty important.
Bingo. Practice and qualifying is your, as a driver, opportunity to gather valuable intelligence. If you've been doing it awhile, you should be building a file on everyone you're racing with. Racing numbers, colors and classes of the cars, and how they drive.

Can they be trusted? Can you see them moving their head around in the car and their eyes in the rear view mirror? Does their car placement change a lot as you get close to them from the rear? All kinds of important information to know.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Gary R. (06-23-2024), Mikelly (06-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Blue Group Practice2 at the Glen