Sponsored by:

Pitt Race Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 09:32 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by th964
Yes, I will be there! I have a big red trailer - it is hard to miss in the paddock!
Ok let’s find each other.
White 981S Cayman # 694
I’ll look for your trailer as well.
Old 06-25-2024, 09:10 PM
SETaylor
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Handlebar
I am 'that guy' with the 996 GT3 you saw. Yes, I ran my '95 993 for several years- I miss that car. ;-) I put pics of both cars below.

IIRC, you're working on building a track or rally spec'd RX-7, right? You showed me pics of the cage.
Yep! Initially bought it to enjoy as a normal car several years ago but the allure of engineering a true to form road race car out of it was always there. Later realized that my use case was rather restrictive for it as a weekend car where I live and after doing the numbers and taking someone else's RX-7 out on Pocono's north course for some very slow laps ruined street driving for me. It won't be that different from a lot of the ones you might see still being tracked these days, just more safety equipment and some measures taken to revise some failure prone sub-systems (transmission, cooling system, induction system) and some stuff designed to keep costs down, like those calipers I showed you, as a stock caliper track pad (these usually last a weekend and fry the caliper seals and rotors crack in the same timeframe) that is maybe 16mm thick and the 29mm thick pfc pad that these will use cost the same or less while lasting significantly longer.

We have an association for hill climb events over here (PHA) that I might take the car to once finished. May also lug it to a few local auto x events to get a better understanding of its increased capabilities in a more controlled environment though it isn't exactly the application it is being fixtured for. The plan is to run as many DE's (likely with your region if possible as I will probably be relocating to VA in the next year or two and have heard a lot of good things about the DE curriculum that you all have) as I can and later take it sprint and endurance racing later on in life when I can devote more time and resources to it.

If you go to the RX-7 forum and either search my username or go to the 3rd generation sub-forum and look for my username you will find my build thread and see all of the craziness one can get into in such an undertaking. It will likely read like a dissertation in accomplishing the unadvisable because it sort of is. I'll PM you some questions either today or tomorrow.

Simon

The following users liked this post:
Handlebar (06-25-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 06:37 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by th964
I had a great time at Pitt for the first time—the track is technical and challenging, but it's a blast to drive! Thankfully, I found a few instructors who were willing to jump in the right seat with me. Here is a video of my best run.
You started out the weekend pretty cautiously, to the point were you were in my way! Gradually I could tell that you were really getting the hang of it, because I couldn't keep up! Great running with you and seeing your improvement.

Keep it up!
Old 07-09-2024, 07:11 PM
th964
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by steveP911
You started out the weekend pretty cautiously, to the point were you were in my way! Gradually I could tell that you were really getting the hang of it, because I couldn't keep up! Great running with you and seeing your improvement.

Keep it up!
Thank you, sir! Always great to be on the track with you! Missed you this past weekend at Summit Point! Enjoy your time up North!

Cheers!
Old 07-09-2024, 10:26 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Wrap Up

Had some comments on this weekend at PCA Potomac Pitt Race, 6/21-23/2024.
  • HOT. Maybe the hottest I have ever been DE'ing in. Low 90's and not much breeze. Sunday AM was good though.
  • Friday I never got more than 6 laps in before I reached my limit for oil temp; about 262-263 (halfway between 250 and 275, as best as I could tell). I had never gone above about 255 before. I have changed the oil since then and am awaiting the UOA results. I have recently been using a Driven 5W40. Seems like two camps on oil viscosity for hot conditions. One likes W40 and the other likes W50 or even W60.
  • Had a great instructor (Matt) for session 4 on Friday. I really liked his style. Watch for a couple laps and then target a couple areas for improvement. Definitely helped me. Great to see instruction work out so immediately. He had a super attitude and was very encouraging when I got it right. Thanks!!
  • I was pleased with my Falken RT660's as I did not feel them lose grip throughout the weekend. Yes, they did wear a bit on that grippy track. Best hot pressure was 32 psi square, which stabilized nicely.
  • My wheels were last balanced by Sloan at SSI Auto and he used the 3M system that I had heard about but never experienced. Having remembered hearing my weights clink off in the paddock after a fairly hot day at WGI, I was really happy that these weights did not budge at all. And no racers tape over them either. If you have struggled with this issue, maybe hunt down a competent balancing shop that carries this product. Not the cheapest, but I love not worrying about it anymore.
  • My first two sessions Saturday morning were plagued with PSM faults. Had to pit after one lap in first session and then had to run my entire next out lap with my pit signal out since there was clearly something mechanically wrong. We couldn't find the culprit until I came in after session 2 with my right rear wheel at about 3 degrees toe out. Yikes! I had to put about 45 degrees of right steering angle to keep it straight. Turns out the right rear toe link eccentric connection was quite loose. Sloan's tech was able to resolve and get it back to the previously marked position. I had no further issues with it.
  • Met a fellow driving his "new" 997 GT3 Cup car for the first time in our group. I could tell it was a struggle even though he was an experienced driver. Had to give him credit - he's 74!
  • Have to confess I had some courage issues at T15 (slight left hander before the T16 kink). I could not figure out what I was worried about. Big visible turn with lots of runoff. Took me a while before I would leave the gas mostly to the floor through there. I also found in the T12-T14 complex that I would drop back from others I had been catching. My weak spot on the track, IMO. Video link below.
  • Last thing, and I am still mortified about it. Session 1 on Sunday - I ran the checker flag. OMG I was so embarrassed when I drove into the steward station. Yes, I had only done one session previously where I didn't come in early, but that's no excuse. I need to do a better job of doing the quick glance at each flagger station, certainly at the checker station.

The following 2 users liked this post by steveP911:
ProCoach (Yesterday), quickboxster (07-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Pitt Race Tips?