Sponsored by:

PCA Club Racing: Abolish 13/13 for 9-race probation & Keep points

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 10:33 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
We've run lots of laps around the track record without contact. Summit Point, VIR and LRP - all great, recent examples.

But accidents still happen! It's a fantasy to think rules can make them go away. The larger issue doesn't stem from these instances of contact - refocus on my two examples - it stems from drivers who are constantly making bad decisions!!
Only if you screw up. Or run out of talent. Either way this “accident” is avoidable.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
You've also made the claim that "real, competitive" racing entails greater risk and the likelihood of contact.

Not unless you want to make it commonplace!

It's also my experience that you can run so close, side by side with people you trust, at track record pace, WITHOUT contact.

^Yes!

Bottom line is no one HAS to hit someone else. It's a choice. If they make a mistake, they're not at the skill level they should be at to try the risky move.

Also, if you track incidents better than PCA Club Racing is doing now (evidently), patterns become apparent. Too many times, I've heard folks say after an incident that they're not even involved in, "oh, that driver, again..."

Let's try fixing that first.

^Exactly
@Jas0nn

This is what I’m talking about above in Bold. And why I don’t race with PCA. I am similarly aged to you and have a VERY serious soft spot for wanting to race in 911CUP (god, I wish I could go back about 15 years and buy several SC’s to convert to fun toys) but my path took me towards a 996Cup which I love way too much to risk unnecessary contact. Which is why I’m headed to HSR in the next year or so.

Sad but true.

Last edited by Mike Roblin; 04-29-2024 at 11:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 10:34 PM
Jas0nn
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 182 Posts

I guess the club doesn’t think it can assign a 13 WITHOUT contact, sounds like.
WORSE - without damage!!

And I think this is a HUGE mistake. Whether there is a damage or not has nothing to do with the severity/stupidity of a move! Sometimes a small mistake leads to big damage. And sometimes big mistakes - or even egregious mistakes - results in no damage (let's call that luck) or a rubout. This needs to be fixed!

Another example of a largely unchecked bad habit that's super dangerous: drivers who miss yellow/black/red flags.

A well conceived points based system - x number of points of more during y time period earns you a suspension for z months - could start address all of this.
will968 (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 10:34 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
...these are the guys who aren't leaving room; who are dive bombing; leaving it to other drivers to avoid contact; and generally, making ****ty decisions on a regular basis largely because these actions are completely unchecked. The 13 is a bad rule TODAY because it does NOTHING to address these drivers ...
The 13/13 rule does not apply to this. But, the National Stewards have the power to deal with this. The rulebook says the National Stewards have the discretion to "deal with inappropriate and unsafe conduct during all Club Race sessions". So, all one should have to is show videos and give testimony to a National Steward to get some sort of action taken. I know this works because we did this on the west coast and a driver was not allowed to race until he took instruction and demonstrated improved driving. Then they were observed in races to verify the corrected behavior.
ProCoach (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 10:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by quickboxster
I hate that word accident. Every time I see it used it's to deflect responsibility.
Agreed, Hurley and Doc (especially) say there is no such thing as an accident on track.

It’s all the result of a decision…
To add on that, it used to be much more common for a driver to come up to the driver they hit and say sorry…
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-29-2024, 10:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

@winders , the original 13/13 stated this (placing on probation at the discretion of the stewards or drivers committee a driver deemed a hazard to themselves or others).

That has a place in the original rule…
winders (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 10:50 PM
winders
Race Car

@winders , the original 13/13 stated this (placing on probation at the discretion of the stewards or drivers committee a driver deemed a hazard to themselves or others).

That has a place in the original rule…
I agree....
Old 04-30-2024, 02:04 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Please read these two, one after the other. WHICH IS IT?

It's clear you want to normalize contact. As you've explained, "it's just racing." You've also made the claim that "real, competitive" racing entails greater risk and the likelihood of contact.

I can tell you that there are a lot of people that are moving away from PCA Club Racing (and from some other venues) precisely because of this line of thinking.

It's also my experience that you can run so close, side by side with people you trust, at track record pace, WITHOUT contact.

Bottom line is no one HAS to hit someone else. It's a choice. If they make a mistake, they're not at the skill level they should be at to try the risky move.

Also, if you track incidents better than PCA Club Racing is doing now (evidently), patterns become apparent. Too many times, I've heard folks say after an incident that they're not even involved in, "oh, that driver, again..."

Let's try fixing that first.
Racing in the last five years seems to have evolved into the “taking of professional level risk while possessing amateur talent.”
The following 2 users liked this post by fatbillybob:
ProCoach (04-30-2024), winders (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 02:35 AM
wgn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe I'm just cynical, but what jumped out to me in the rule change is what's highlighted: "1. At-fault incidents will result in a 9-race probation with the retention of your national championship points for all races other than the one in which the incident occurred. 2. A second at-fault incident during the probationary period will result in a 6-month suspension from the program, after which the racer must apply to the race chair for reinstatement. 3. This program change is retroactive to the beginning of the 2024 season and anyone currently on a 13/13 probation or suspension."

The existing 13/13 rule made any sanctioned driver ineligible for national championship points for that calendar year. Not only has that been dropped, but the rule change was made retroactive...so I assume there are some drivers whose championship status benefits greatly from the change.

This doesn't affect me in the least, but normally when I look for motives I think "who benefits?".
ProCoach (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 04:47 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by wgn
Maybe I'm just cynical, but what jumped out to me in the rule change is what's highlighted: "1. At-fault incidents will result in a 9-race probation with the retention of your national championship points for all races other than the one in which the incident occurred. 2. A second at-fault incident during the probationary period will result in a 6-month suspension from the program, after which the racer must apply to the race chair for reinstatement. 3. This program change is retroactive to the beginning of the 2024 season and anyone currently on a 13/13 probation or suspension."

The existing 13/13 rule made any sanctioned driver ineligible for national championship points for that calendar year. Not only has that been dropped, but the rule change was made retroactive...so I assume there are some drivers whose championship status benefits greatly from the change.

This doesn't affect me in the least, but normally when I look for motives I think "who benefits?".
Probably someone with connections to people who could make this change….
ProCoach (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 08:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wgn

Yep…
Old 04-30-2024, 08:44 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Only if you screw up. Or run out of talent. Either way this “accident” is avoidable.

@Jas0nn

This is what I’m talking about above in Bold. And why I don’t race with PCA. I am similarly aged to you and have a VERY serious soft spot for wanting to race in 911CUP (god, I wish I could go back about 15 years and buy several SC’s to convert to fun toys) but my path took me towards a 996Cup which I love way too much to risk unnecessary contact. Which is why I’m headed to HSR in the next year or so.

Sad but true.
Mike, you share this view with a lot of people leading the exodus from PCA Club Racing, at least the dozens, perhaps hundreds of racers I’ve spoken to I’ve the last four years on this subject. There are plenty of places out there that do police their drivers successfully and the level of respect is a great deal higher.

I think PCA Club Racing has been at a crossroads fibrillating with solutions to this challenge for an extended period of time. The move to allow probationers to retain national points, let alone backdate this year, is NOT moving in the right direction for accountability, and it’s lost some of its value as a deterrent to those drivers that just don’t get it.
redmcoupe (05-29-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 09:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
I wish I could go back about 15 years and buy several SC’s to convert to fun toys) but my path took me towards a 996Cup which I love way too much to risk unnecessary contact. Which is why I’m headed to HSR in the next year or so.

Sad but true.
Meanwhile, at the HSR Walter Mitty Challenge last weekend, a record entry with great cars. Mark Hupfer, George Balbach, Jr. and Colin Dougherty out front!

Mike Roblin (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 09:53 AM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 198 Likes on 105 Posts

With all due respect HSR is very different racing than PCA. Just look at the pic and you have a 911 , 944, Mustang, Firebird, Datsuns, Miata, RX7 and all sorts of cars in all sorts of different classes. While that is great in its own form is very different than running same marquee, same class, same cars in PCA.

comparing the two is very different. If one likes that, that is cool. I’d rather race someone in a very very similar car where I know the driver makes the difference.

Meanwhile, at the HSR Walter Mitty Challenge last weekend, a record entry with great cars. Mark Hupfer, George Balbach, Jr. and Colin Dougherty out front!

Old 04-30-2024, 10:17 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Speeds5
While that is great in its own form is very different than running same marquee, same class, same cars in PCA.

comparing the two is very different. If one likes that, that is cool. I’d rather race someone in a very very similar car where I know the driver makes the difference.
I understand completely. I know why Alan started PCA Club Racing because I was racing with him when he did it.

I'm not making race group comparisons between HSR or other events to PCA Club Racing besides POC. Just that it's fun and just like in real life, Porsche's tend to be out front in competition.

But, if you think racing same class cars in PCA Club Racing, with the noted exception of SPB, SPC and other tightly controlled classes is where the driver makes the difference, I think you're in for a rude awakening...

Learned that studying the relative performance across GTB1 in the heyday, over many years...
Old 04-30-2024, 10:33 AM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 198 Likes on 105 Posts

I’m well aware of the classes in PCA and in my opinion they provide the closest/tightest racing of most organizations.

You reference the spec classes and they’re great examples. 911Cup is another example. We have some of the fastest guys on the grid, that race hard BUT clean. They’re running times in 40 year old cars with 210whp that are comparable to modern cars with lots more HP. It’s a testament to their ever improving skills. I race in 911Cup because of that. I’m one of the slower guys but I like the challenge and competition and I’m trying to get closer to those guys. That’s my personal challenge.

I understand completely. I know why Alan started PCA Club Racing because I was racing with him when he did it.

I'm not making race group comparisons between HSR or other events to PCA Club Racing besides POC. Just that it's fun and just like in real life, Porsche's tend to be out front in competition.

But, if you think racing same class cars in PCA Club Racing, with the noted exception of SPB, SPC and other tightly controlled classes is where the driver makes the difference, I think you're in for a rude awakening...

Learned that studying the relative performance across GTB1 in the heyday, over many years...

Quick Reply: PCA Club Racing: Abolish 13/13 for 9-race probation & Keep points