VIR to require fire suits in HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 08:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian Allen
Peter, I think Larry was in a Mustang--I was at the track for that incident, saw little glittery pieces of red on the track surface as I approached T1 and the car on the escape road. My son and I found the car later that day and there must have been a gallon of blood in the passenger footwell, and a big funnel in the windshield. I think Larry had double vision for quite some time because of the injuries. I've driven with my full face helmet and face shield down ever since.
Hey, Julian! Of course, you were there! It was a long time ago.

I am pretty sure we shut down for the rest of the day while Larry was transportedt to the closest trauma center, stabilized and then transported to Duke.

He was CEO for a large restaurant chain based here in the Raleigh-Durham area.

Fractured eye socket, facial/lower jaw injuries requiring multiple surgical reconstructions that kept him there for a few weeks, at least. Horrible thing.

It still can happen, but a lot less than it used to when Summit was REALLY out in the country.

Last edited by ProCoach; 02-11-2024 at 09:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Julian Allen (02-11-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 09:36 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

In case of a fire a good suit seals in the flavor?

I'll let myself out.
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (02-14-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 10:21 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 664 Posts

Here’s one datapoint on VIR’s requirement. A friend sent this to me:

The MSR registration for their Spring HPDE is live, and here's what they say about driving suits:

Drivers in a TRACK PREPARED CAR must wear a one-piece SFI- or FIA-rated driver’s suit with a minimum of two layers. A current SA2015 or higher rated competition-approved helmet and closed-toed shoes, either leather or Nomex recommended. Nomex gloves, balaclavas and socks are also recommended. A track prepared car is defined as any Vehicle in which the cockpit has been altered or modified in any way so that any part of the chassis or any firewall has been exposed. VIR IS ENFORCING THIS POLICY.

My friend’s comments about the ^policy:

Their definition of what a "track prepared {should have a hyphen} car is not clear to me at all, and I wouldn't want to be trying to interpret what that is really supposed to mean the morning of the event...and it's not clear if this is the circuit's definition or First Settler's.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

So, you have to wear a suit, but gloves, socks and shoes are recommended?

What about factory built race cars, are they considered “modified?”

Personally, I’m in favor of the organizer setting policy and protocols, meeting requirements delineated by their insurance carrier. Which, by the track contract requirement, names VIR as an “additional insured.” That SHOULD be sufficient.

The quoted section likely comes from the VIR track contract, which the organizer needs to sign.

What started out as facility rules and a prohibition against open cars that didn’t meet the broomstick test has morphed into a treatise on how the track believes requires organizers should run their events.

Sure would like to see more of a collaborative solution to this development.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-17-2024, 11:11 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

The wording is rather vague, which isn't great. But if it were me, and I had any inkling that the car I was bringing to VIR might be seen as a "track prepared car," I'd have my firesuit along with me (or get one if I didn't already own one). In fact, I wouldn't need the track to be telling me this in the first place.

The rule is probably insurance/liability driven, but at the end of the day it's my @ss. I'd just wear the suit if there's any question.
The following 2 users liked this post by stownsen914:
Matt Romanowski (02-17-2024), ProCoach (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 11:15 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by stownsen914
The wording is rather vague, which isn't great. But if it were me, and I had any inkling that the car I was bringing to VIR might be seen as a "track prepared car," I'd have my firesuit along with me (or get one if I didn't already own one). In fact, I wouldn't need the track to be telling me this in the first place.

The rule is probably insurance/liability driven, but at the end of the day it's my @ss. I'd just wear the suit if there's any question.
Agree 100%
Old 02-17-2024, 12:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

It's may be vaguely written (which I don't really like), but the intent is clear. Get a suit if you have modified your car to the point were it might be in question. Think of the suit as the cheapest insurance policy you ever bought (way better than Hoosier rains).
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
dgrobs (02-17-2024), LuigiVampa (02-17-2024)

Quick Reply: VIR to require fire suits in HPDE