Sponsored by:

VIR to require fire suits in HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 12:43 PM
Estoril
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Slightly OT but since it's been mentioned - deer fencing around the entirety of Summit Point was put in after 2018 season funded by Riesentoter PCA and Potomac PCA as well as an SCCA chapter.
Deer are still coming onto the property because the fence is not quite high enough.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:23 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Estoril
Deer are still coming onto the property because the fence is not quite high enough.
If you noticed last season, they took out a lot of the trees and shrubbery INSIDE that fencing around the entire property/paddock, so the deer have much less places to "bed down" so to speak.

I noticed only 2 baby deer left of T-10 over the last few years, and that was it.

Before 2019ish, there were a whole lot more of them, and much bigger full-grown bucks to boot. (me knocking wood right now).

I say well done!!
Old 02-09-2024, 02:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,106 Likes on 1,840 Posts

There are so many videos but this one, where the leading car creates "deer tartar", is probably the best -

The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
dgrobs (02-15-2024), Veloce Raptor (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 02:42 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
There are so many videos but this one, where the leading car creates "deer tartar", is probably the best -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3qo...hannel=Fullist
Ah yes, an oldie but a goodie.

I met some really old brothers in the paddock a bunch of years back, can't remember their names (but I do remember they weren't the presidents of Mexico, Egypt, or the long passed away president of France or Germany), and one of them said that video was him driving the Carrera that hit and pureed the deer.....

Cannot validate his story, but he said it was def him.

Thanks for posting. Always a good watch....
The following users liked this post:
Veloce Raptor (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 03:08 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,106 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Ah yes, an oldie but a goodie.

I met some really old brothers in the paddock a bunch of years back, can't remember their names (but I do remember they weren't the presidents of Mexico, Egypt, or the long passed away president of France or Germany), and one of them said that video was him driving the Carrera that hit and pureed the deer.....

Cannot validate his story, but he said it was def him.

Thanks for posting. Always a good watch....
Years ago I did one of those "hey watch this" to my daughter with this video. LOL
Old 02-09-2024, 03:22 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Years ago I did one of those "hey watch this" to my daughter with this video. LOL
What a good dad you are...
Old 02-09-2024, 04:46 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 172 Posts

The current issue with the deer fence is not that new deer are entering by jumping over it; the issue is that they wander in through some gates which have to be open a lot of the time and then they can't find their way out. There was active efforts to make delicious jerky of them during the appropriate seasons.

It is massively better than before the deer fence was installed.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:32 PM
quickboxster
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

If there was ever a more qualified reason for windows up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3qo...hannel=Fullist
The following users liked this post:
LuigiVampa (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 07:00 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 230 Posts
Default What about the groundhog fence?

Old 02-09-2024, 09:06 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

A few years ago, I killed "Punxsutawney Phil" at VIR Turn 7 right across from the corner worker stand. He just stepped out in front of me as though he had the right of way. Splat! Took out my splitter, front grille and, as I learned later, the radiator and radiator support. Gopher guts and fur all over the place. Yuk! I can only imagine what a larger animal would do.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:14 PM
Estoril
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by steveP911

I give both drivers full credit for not adding steering to swerve at speed to avoid that groundhog. Several years later a driver swerved to miss a car part in that very same spot. It ended in a very severe result for the Instructor, as some of us know.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:02 AM
saksride
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

Just ordered mine sir!
first suit, but safety is super important.
I've been going way to fast with street cars, I'm excited to see how I feel driving the Cup car with all the safety.
I think I'll feel way better and more focused on what I am trying to do or NOT do...LOL.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Close to thirty years ago, but at a Car Guys event at Summit Point, a friend of mine, Larry, was instructing in the passenger seat of a 911 with an open faced helmet. Near the end of the front straight, a deer ran from left to right and was split in half by the right windshield pillar.The back half came inside the car and Larry suffered a broken lower jaw and facial injuries. He was transported home to Duke and was there for a week or so. I didn’t see it, but the first folks on the scene couldn’t tell there was anyone alive in the car, there was so much blood and gore in the car. Larry went on to instruct again, but with more safety gear and a full face helmet…
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-10-2024, 11:17 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 696 Likes on 347 Posts

I wear all my gear every time I’m on track. Wall, tree, guardrail or fire don’t know it’s a DE vs. a race. Are fires common? Not at all. Do they happen? Absolutely. Two happened the same weekend at Roebling back in January, neither was during a race.

We try to carry suits for different price points to allow people to step into safety without braking their fun budget. But be aware: the less expensive the suit, the “heavier” it is. When describing suits to people, I liken them to steel vs. carbon fiber: both are strong, but one is heavy and cheap, one is lightweight and expensive.

But also keep in mind, investing $1500 on a nice suit will last you many years if you take care of it. That’s less than a set of tires (heck, even brake pads for some newer cars) I’ve had my $1300 OMP suit going in 10 years now and it looks like new.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

The following 3 users liked this post by NaroEscape:
LuigiVampa (02-10-2024), Matt Romanowski (02-10-2024), ProCoach (02-10-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 07:10 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Peter, I think Larry was in a Mustang--I was at the track for that incident, saw little glittery pieces of red on the track surface as I approached T1 and the car on the escape road. My son and I found the car later that day and there must have been a gallon of blood in the passenger footwell, and a big funnel in the windshield. I think Larry had double vision for quite some time because of the injuries. I've driven with my full face helmet and face shield down ever since.

Quick Reply: VIR to require fire suits in HPDE