Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking Recommendations for Driving Schools

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 11:54 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 231 Likes on 177 Posts

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much. This is why I love this forum and community!

I'll make some arrangements over the next few weeks and confirm back on the outcome.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:24 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

If you end up doing the PTE @ Barber, search YouTube for "Barber motorsports track" and you'll find a lot of videos. Wish I'd watched a few to familiarize myself with the track before i went to PTE. You'll figure it out pretty quickly even if you go unprepared as I did.

My experience @ PTE was fantastic (I'm one of the "never been on a track before" guys) and I'd recommend it!

When I went, the skidpad, autocross, and brake exercises were in a 718 GTS. Most of the time on the main track was in a 911 GTS. There were some "promotional" laps done in a 911 Turbo S and Taycan. The 911 Turbo S was amazing. The Taycan, not so much, but still impressive for. 2.5 ton sedan.
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (02-11-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 06:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
If you end up doing the PTE @ Barber, search YouTube for "Barber motorsports track" and you'll find a lot of videos. Wish I'd watched a few to familiarize myself with the track before i went to PTE.
Here's a serious resource for preparation at Barber. It's at the top of the list as you scroll down. https://speedsecrets.com/virtual-track-walks/
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 10:36 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Most people I know rate the Porsche Track Experiences course at Barber highly.

I will be taking the 2 day Porsche Track Experiences Master Racecar course, which is run by Manthey Racing, at Spa Francorchamps in September 2024 and I will report back. That one is 2 track days in your own 718 GT4RS Club Sport.

I went through all three main courses of the US AMG Driving Academy (Performance, Advanced and Pro - 5 track days - still need to take Pro+ but hard to get a spot as they go so quickly) and I think very highly of it. Especially the Advanced and the Pro Courses (2 days each) which I took at Circuit of the Americas. Trail braking is highly emphasized. Instructors are top drivers. Some of them included Thomas Merrill, (P2 in LeMans in 2022 in the 911 RSR with Proton, P1 in Asian Lemans in 2023, P1 at the Rolex24 in LMP3 in 2023 and national TransAm TA2 champion in 2033 and Ashley Frieberg (2023 Porsche Spring Challenge North American champion) and a bunch with similar racing pedigrees).

The Advanced and Pro courses are serious affairs and they don't mess around. The head instructor is Paul Gerrard (who was the Stig on US Top Gear).

It is an excellent program. Porsche Track Experiences recognizes the programs's quality and gave me credit for it, allowing me entry directly into their Masters program at Barber or the Master Racecar program or GT Racecar trackways events in Europe (provided I took out a 718 GT4RS CS instead of a GT3 Cup Car on my first experience with them).

A number of professional racer drivers have recommended Lucas Oil School of Racing over Skip Barber to me but I have taken neither yet. Not sure I want to go in the open cockpit direction at age 52. I am more interested in the GT3 direction.
The following 2 users liked this post by sdg1871:
bcrdukes (02-11-2024), ProCoach (02-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Seeking Recommendations for Driving Schools