Harness selection recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 06:06 PM
SETaylor
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harness selection recommendations

Greetings all.
New to the forum and have some questions regarding your thoughts on the current six-point harnesses available on the market. Figured that with the knowledge base here I would be able to get some helpful advice and perhaps learn some things that I otherwise might not have on a seemingly mundane topic. Please advise if this is the incorrect section.

While I understand that all FIA harnesses are made to the same specification, is there anything in particular I should be looking for? I have been considering both the Lifeline Copse and Safecraft 5015 harness. Are there any features that you would suggest looking for when selecting one of these?

This would be going into an RX-7 that I am in the process of preparing for hill climb events and DE's, among learning the practical application(s) and theory of performance driving.

Interested in hearing your thoughts,
Simon
Old 02-07-2024, 07:32 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 550 Likes on 289 Posts

I have a preference toward Lifeline Copse because it’s nearly identical to the popular Schroth Enduro except it’s much less expensive. Very easy to adjust and tighten.
I also like a few features of it: the cam lock always retracts back to the “lock” condition so you don’t have the issue of plugging in your belts to have them release because the cam lock was in the “unlock” position

i also like the little Velcro tab on the shoulder belts to hold something like a radio plug cable.

We sell both, but we replaced the Schroth in all our cars to Lifeline and have been very happy.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

The following 2 users liked this post by NaroEscape:
ProCoach (02-07-2024), SETaylor (02-09-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 09:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 783 Likes on 508 Posts

Bob showed me the Copse at Sebring and that is what will go in my car next. The self closing cam lock is worth it in my opinion. It's a small thing, but is nice. The webbing was as good and flexible as the others.
Old 02-08-2024, 02:18 PM
Jared Rodeheaver
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SETaylor
Greetings all.
New to the forum and have some questions regarding your thoughts on the current six-point harnesses available on the market. Figured that with the knowledge base here I would be able to get some helpful advice and perhaps learn some things that I otherwise might not have on a seemingly mundane topic. Please advise if this is the incorrect section.

While I understand that all FIA harnesses are made to the same specification, is there anything in particular I should be looking for? I have been considering both the Lifeline Copse and Safecraft 5015 harness. Are there any features that you would suggest looking for when selecting one of these?

This would be going into an RX-7 that I am in the process of preparing for hill climb events and DE's, among learning the practical application(s) and theory of performance driving.

Interested in hearing your thoughts,
Simon

I've been very happy with OMP First 2". Very easy to adjust and reasonably priced. FIRST 2" (ompamerica.com)
Old 02-08-2024, 03:38 PM
MetroNYHPDE
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I love my Racetechs, and others who get in the car always seem to comment how nice they feel.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:37 AM
SETaylor
AutoX

Folks, thanks for taking the time to advise. Lots of good info.

NaroEscape, you will likely be hearing from me some time in the near future. Nearly done collecting the requisite pieces to send the chassis off to the roll cage fabricator.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:09 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SETaylor
Folks, thanks for taking the time to advise. Lots of good info.

NaroEscape, you will likely be hearing from me some time in the near future. Nearly done collecting the requisite pieces to send the chassis off to the roll cage fabricator.
Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with.
Are you planning to do the PA Hillclimb series? We did the Chasing the Dragon hillclimb here in the SE for many years so I can help you out on advice doing them too. They are a ton of fun! Would love to get back into it.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:58 PM
SETaylor
AutoX

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with.
Are you planning to do the PA Hillclimb series? We did the Chasing the Dragon hillclimb here in the SE for many years so I can help you out on advice doing them too. They are a ton of fun! Would love to get back into it.
Yes, I am planning on attending their events. Spoke with some folks from the organization at last year's Carlisle import show and they appear to be a great group. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The RX-7 community has a gathering at Deal's gap every April (that seems to always be scheduled on days that I have class or some other important thing going on, but I digress) I didn't realize that there were hillclimb events being run there. I'll have to check it out one of these days.

Here's a photo from the event I was referring to. They had some very neat equipment on display.

Photo from the PHA section at the 2023 Carlisle import show.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:05 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Do you know Steve Eckerich? If not, you need to. He’s the local SCCA (Central Carolina’s Region) President/Region Executive or whatever they call it (you’d think i should know what it’s called having been on the CCR board for 4 years). He probably knows more about RX7’s than anyone I know, and he’s an avid hillclimber, co-chairs the Dragon hillclimb, and is involved with the Appalachian Hillclimb series. I believe he has all the tools and equipment to be able to completely rebuild rotary engines.

im in California at the moment, but if you have questions and want to chat at some point give me a shout. My # is in my signature.
Old 02-11-2024, 04:08 PM
SETaylor
AutoX

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
Do you know Steve Eckerich? If not, you need to. He’s the local SCCA (Central Carolina’s Region) President/Region Executive or whatever they call it (you’d think i should know what it’s called having been on the CCR board for 4 years). He probably knows more about RX7’s than anyone I know, and he’s an avid hillclimber, co-chairs the Dragon hillclimb, and is involved with the Appalachian Hillclimb series. I believe he has all the tools and equipment to be able to completely rebuild rotary engines.

im in California at the moment, but if you have questions and want to chat at some point give me a shout. My # is in my signature.
I believe I may have heard the name before. Building those engines is deceptively simple. A friend and I did our first back in December for one of his cars. Hardest part was setting the clearances of the side seals to the corner seals on the rotor (with sandpaper and a feeler gauge, which is still probably less annoying than some of the other procedures involved with the platform! If we were smarter we would run them naturally aspirated, but the allure of forced induction is just too strong... (aside from requiring a three rotor engine and peripheral porting and all of the bells & whistles to get comparable power which would be fine if it weren't a $35,000 exercise!)

Will definitely reach out some time this week!