Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Yes
Old 01-19-2024, 09:06 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
We're already discussing strippers on page 1???
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes
HAHAHA!
Old 01-20-2024, 03:42 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by chudson
No way to answer. They are not equipped with blinker fluid systems. It is best explained here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

Cliff
The latest generation of Turbo Encabulators have the tremie pipes that have been hermetically sealed with tungsten crapalloy. Need I say, these are highly sought after.
The following users liked this post:
stownsen914 (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

We may never agree on how many threads on a lug nut...

...but can we agree we are all nuts in this thread?
stownsen914 (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 09:15 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Locker537
can we agree we are all nuts in this thread?
Yeah pretty much. Everyone likes a little fun on occasion.

To add some seriousness to this thread, the F1 people obviously have it figured out. The massive size of that threaded area easily withstands the load and with every tenth of a second (in the pits) equating to lots of distance on the track, they want that nut on and off as quickly as possible. More threads would require more time motionless.

As to the less fortunate us, we have to contend with a lot more threads (no pun intended - was referring to lug stud threads). I’m no engineer, but the stud is no stronger than its width and tensile strength. A lug nut twice as long as the studs width would certainly decrease the nuts ability to be “pulled” off of the stud, but IMHO no other benefit exists - Edit: Except for the softer alloy lug nuts which may benefit from additional threads.

If this thread was only intended for slapstick humor, my apologies for the serious input and please, feel free to continue with the silliness. I’m sure I’ll join in somewhere…

Cliff

Last edited by chudson; 01-21-2024 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-21-2024, 02:07 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by chudson
Yeah pretty much. Everyone likes a little fun on occasion.

To add some seriousness to this thread, the F1 people obviously have it figured out. The massive size of that threaded area easily withstands the load and with every tenth of a second (in the pits) equating to lots of distance on the track, they want that nut on and off as quickly as possible. More threads would require more time motionless.

As to the less fortunate us, we have to contend with a lot more threads (no pun intended - was referring to lug stud threads). I’m no engineer, but the stud is no stronger than its width and tensile strength. A lug nut twice as long as the studs width would certainly decrease the nuts ability to be “pulled” off of the stud, but IMHO no other benefit exists - Edit: Except for the softer alloy lug nuts which may benefit from additional threads.

If this thread was only intended for slapstick humor, my apologies for the serious input and please, feel free to continue with the silliness. I’m sure I’ll join in somewhere…

Cliff
It was a bit of both. The (lack of) thread on the spindle is pretty amazing. There are parts of an F1 car that are amazing in their simplicity, complexity, or curiosity. It's always interesting to see where they push the limits and develop.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:21 AM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 110 Posts

Amazon Amazon

If you want to look at good design methods for bolted joints, I can recommend this book. Mr. Bickford is a clever man!

If I remember from my ME design days, most of the load of a properly torqued fastener is taken by the first thread and a half or two threads, as the stud will stretch slightly. This is the reason that if you plan to use a jam nut (1/2 thickness nut to lock a second nut), the jam nut should be applied first and then a full nut tightened to the jam nut. If you apply the jam nut second, it will take more of the tensile forces. The jam nuts are designed to take full load but there's no safety factor left.

Anyway, back to hookers and blow.......
Matt Romanowski (01-22-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 02:24 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Back to the original title, I believe there is 1 (one) thread on a lug nut. That was the original question, yes?

Just like there is 1 (one) grove on a 33&1/3 LP. 1 (one) song on an LP side (think 2112 or Close to the Edge) or 8 songs on an LP (anything Beatles, Dylan, etc.), still only 1 (one) groove. Same with a Lugnut.

Just one long thread/groove. Just 1 (one).
Rig.Stunts (01-24-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 05:12 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Back to the original title, I believe there is 1 (one) thread on a lug nut. That was the original question, yes?

Just like there is 1 (one) groove on a 33&1/3 LP. 1 (one) song on an LP side (think 2112 or Close to the Edge) or 8 songs on an LP (anything Beatles, Dylan, etc.), still only 1 (one) groove. Same with a Lugnut.

Just one long thread/groove. Just 1 (one).
You, sir, are a scholar!!

Quick Reply: How many threads on a lug nut?