Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning on attending first DE event

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 10:35 PM
JohnC4S
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 93 Posts

I just signed up for the PCA DE at Watkins Glen on May 27-28 and I will be absorbing all the great advise and information in this thread. So please keep the info coming!!! My car does have full PPF and the I did forget to do the headlights. Should I have the lights done before the event?

John

Last edited by JohnC4S; 02-05-2024 at 11:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (02-06-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 10:49 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,298 Likes on 1,729 Posts

I would or atleast put the diy expel on for the event
Old 02-06-2024, 02:14 AM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
All good advice on this thread.

For your first track event you should listen, ask questions, stay hydrated and have fun. The next time you go you can build on what you learned the previous track days and it becomes easier and more enjoyable.
And, don't forget to breathe! Relax and enjoy!

Also, blue painters tape covers the headlights in a pinch.
LuigiVampa (02-12-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 09:51 AM
nineball
Pro

Received 310 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Crazyoldgoat
Thanks for the information. I understand that trying on a helmet is the best way to ensure a proper fit. However, I have no idea where to find a brick and mortar merchant that is not 200 miles or more away. I live in the Sacramento, CA area. Any suggestoins?
wrong side of the country for me but a quick google came up with this place. I am sure there are lots more if you search for them.

https://soloracer.com/helmets.html

Thanks for the response. If I understand your point, those manufacturers to sell the lower cost Snell SA 2020 helmets do not make the same quality helmet as do HJC, Bell and G-Force. Is that the point?

Fifty years go, when I use to jump out of small planes I used a Bell helmet. I still have it, but it is very old fashioned and would probably not meet any modern standards.

Thanks
not necessarily. i never said one brand was better than another, just to stick with the name brands when you are starting out and uneducated on the topic. the brands i listed are just some of the most well known and typically readily available.

also keep in mind if you are going to do PCA DE events they accept current SNELL and FIA approved helmets.
1Crazyoldgoat (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 05:03 PM
1Crazyoldgoat
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

About 90 minutes away. However, we have over 60 wineries in the county where I live (El Dorado County). The closest is 15 miles up the road (Boeger). If you want a very good Merlot for a reasonable price see if you can find "1858 Merlot." Take it from an old wino!
Old 02-06-2024, 06:41 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
WGI got rid of the trough urinals! I am still upset about that.
I found it!

Road course which still has trough urinals - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 02-06-2024, 09:11 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 310 Likes on 216 Posts

About 90 minutes away. However, we have over 60 wineries in the county where I live (El Dorado County). The closest is 15 miles up the road (Boeger). If you want a very good Merlot for a reasonable price see if you can find "1858 Merlot." Take it from an old wino!

never been a wine drinker. a simple beer will be just fine for me. the closest i ever came to finding a wine i like was lindemans framboise.

google is your friend. i just found that link in about 10 seconds of searching "near" sactown. since you know your specific location your results will probably be better.

hopefully you are a member of your local PCA chapter, because then you can just reach out to them (or specifically the competition chair) and get some good suggestions on where to get safety gear. some places even give a discount for PCA membership.
Old 02-12-2024, 04:54 PM
tonythetarga
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Watkins Glen in May

Welcome to the world of DE! As others have said, you cannot go wrong with Niagara PCA, and the May event.
I am somewhat biased, as I am the classroom instructor for the intermediate group. We have had numerous compliments on our school and open track events. You can search Niagara PCA Watkins Glen for feedback from many drivers that have drivers attended. Also, thank you for signing up for the event!
I suggest that you go to the Niagara PCA website and under the DE heading look at the prepared documents that are there. There is a video showing the track, a track layout, how to drive the line, etc. Familiarize yourself, to some degree, with the track.The most important thing, however, is preparing your car for the event.We have a tech form that you can download, and new this year, is a video on what to expect for the tech inspection. We do a tech inspection at the track as well, so firstly, your shop needs to inspect the car and complete the form. Secondly, after you register, your car will go through a tech inspection as well. The video we have is located where you find the tech form. It will walk you through the essentials. Don’t overthink it. Prepare yourself and expect to have a very good time. The classroom instructors for the novice group are excellent! Your in car instructor also will meet you (via email before the event) and discuss your car, experience etc, with you prior to your event and spend the time with you preparing you for your runs You will get a lot of information yet not overloaded.Each day you will get four sessions on track of approximately 30 minutes each.It may not sound like a lot of time, but 30 minutes of focused concentration is a lot to do for a novice . Heck, it’s a lot to do for some of us instructors as well! LOL.
looking forward to seeing you trackside.
Tony
The following 2 users liked this post by tonythetarga:
JohnC4S (02-13-2024), ProCoach (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 05:54 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 453 Likes on 336 Posts

First and foremost have fun, I started very late in life and expanding my tracks from Summit Point. WGI with PCA Potomac May 12-14. As already stated it will be a little overwhelming. Review the turn by turn Youtubes along with the PCA Niagara one. Knowing the turn numbers (and vocabulary) in advance helps learning. Note the pad thickness of 70% on the tech form. Niagara requires brake fluid less than a year old. Many PCA chapters require 6 months. A flush with Motul 600/660 if you need to change. I like my cheap Harbor Freight torque wrench. Get a short extension (saves your knuckles and fender edge) and deep dish socket (19mm). Quality tire gauge with a bleeder is a must. Don't be surprised if your TPMS gets POd by the low psi. When you air up it does not reset immediately unless you force a relearn. I wear camping shoes to the track to avoid getting my driving shoes wet. Carry an extra pair with socks. Blue tape on the headlights. Debate on PPF for the headlights because removing it will damage the UV coating. Consider a balaclava for helmet wear. I have three cheap ones from Amazon that also keep my neck from getting sunburned. I had the luxury of trying my helmet on. It needs to fit well but comfortably.
JohnC4S (02-13-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 01:10 AM
JohnC4S
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 93 Posts

Is renting the garage space necessary? And will there be a place for storage box, tools, water bottles, chair, etc at Watkins Glen? I need recommendation for helmet and gloves. I live south of Buffalo so anyone has recommendation for shops in Buffalo please let me know. TIA.

John
Old 02-18-2024, 05:36 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 183 Posts

not necessary. you can leave your stuff where you park to claim your space while you are on the track. I've never heard of anything "walking away" at a HPDE. Garages are nice of it's super hot or raining but as long as the weather is decent, you'll be fine.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:07 AM
tonythetarga
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Agreed. You should bring a tarp to put down, a plastic bin for your stuff and a chair. The club always has water bottles on ice in the garage all day, both days. At the end of the day there is also an open cooler full of adult beverages.
as far as a shop goes, most of the Buffalo track guys drive to Ekstens in Rochester for the free tech session. You’ll get to meet the tech team and ask other questions. You could always email the tech lead, (see the website) and ask that question for a local shop to you.
For a helmet, you should try one on first if you can. I bought mine from Summit Racing on-line. They tell you how to measure your head. If the fit isn’t right you can exchange. Don’t wait until the last minute. I selected a G-Force. I’m on my 2nd one and like the fit. Full face. If you wear glasses or want to wear sunglasses, you need to make sure the opening is designed for glasses.
SNELL releases new ratings every 5 years. The most recent is 2020, which will be good through the 2030 season. (10 year only for PCA).
A word of recommendation on glove color. Lots of people get gloves to match the car color. Bad idea. Passing signals require the arm and hand to point the car behind to the designated side of your car. If your gloves match the car color, it’s not as readily seen from behind.
Gloves are less important than shoes. Flat, thin soles give you an exact feel of the brake pedal. Runners not so much. If you don’t want to buy racing shoes just yet, you should see what other drivers use and why, just wear a deck shoe or something similar. Same with gloves. Besides, if you want gloves there is a shop at the far end of the garages.

Last edited by tonythetarga; 02-18-2024 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:39 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,535 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Best thing I ever did for DE events years ago was to find a plastic tub with a lid that fits in the frunk of my 996. I measured the dimensions and found it at Target. In it I put everything I needed for the car (tools, oil, etc.) including a couple of lawn and leaf garbage bags in case it rains. I use a trash bag for the couple of things that I can't fit into the tub such as a workout bag with extra clothes, helmet/hans bag and any extra items you have sitting in the car and on your floor. Don't over think it. Keep it simple.

Sure, the other thing I bring is a soccer chair. I don't mess around with bringing coolers, tarps, patio tents, etc. It's a pain in the ***. You can get food and drink at the track. If it rains, you can sit in your car or go inside the facility or under an over hang. It's a much different story if you have a trailer and plenty of room to store and transport your living room. If you are driving your car to and from the track you have no choice but to travel meaningfully light with only the necessities.

Get there early to look around. Depending on the track you can look for a tree to park under if possible. Some tracks have lots of trees and some tracks dont. Trees are good on a hot summer day.

Regarding garage space, you can call the track and ask. At some smaller tracks its first come first serve. But call and check first.

Like I said, keep it simple. You want to focus on your car and learning to drive the track. You dont want to worry about whether you forgot something for the tailgate party. You get the idea.
The following 3 users liked this post by GC996:
Hella-Buggin' (02-18-2024), JohnC4S (05-08-2024), ProCoach (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 10:31 AM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 218 Posts

Make friends with somebody who has a trailer and tent.
GC996 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 10:45 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,535 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Originally Posted by steveP911
Make friends with somebody who has a trailer and tent.
For sure!
Hella-Buggin' (02-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Planning on attending first DE event