Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Ultimate R-compound tire thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 01:08 AM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the comment of "bad size selection" for the Dunlop Super Sport race unless you are talking about 17". In 18" there are a wide range of sizes and these sizes are actually larger than the number. I have them listed on my site if you are interested in viewing sizes.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big update,

Referring to my above comments, things has changed. The guy that started our 10 hour race at Gingerman, as I said above, loved them then. Yesterday he returned from Barber, where he now hates them. He was the only I class 944/924S using them. He had run on Fri on old Hoosiers and was fourth, he then changed to MPSC's for qualifying, and suddenly was wallowing around in the back of the pack. Seeing as how Barber is in Alabama, and it is june, cold was not a problem. But he said he could not get them up to temp, to be competitive. He said he talked to one front runner, Tim Betterige (Bad spelling) and Tim told him he uses one set of S04's per race weekend. Boy, I sure can't afford almost $900 per race weekend, oh well.

By the way, Dave please forward that thingie to me at BillLSeifert@aol.com
We are still going to use the MPSC's at that 12 hour enduro.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
Old 06-07-2004, 11:15 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Presentation in transit. It sure seems pretty compelling, but one would expect it to be.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:31 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Bill, I like your dream tire, but would ad ‘flat spot resistance’ to the list, as I seem to rotate the car a little too much.

Just got back from the Barber Race this weekend and I ran both Hoosiers (03's with two sessions on them) and MPSC's, on an SC.

I ran the Hoosiers in the sprint qualifying and race, and the MPSC's in practice sessions and enduro qualifying and race. I thought that the MPSC's ran more consistently, had more grip all weekend and they also had very little wear. The Hoosiers got greasy very quickly.

Like everyone else has said, the first two laps are tough on the MPSC’s. I had a first turn spin in the practice race in front of the entire field. Cold tires and late braking are not my friends. Fortunately nobody got tagged.

I ran my fastest lap on the Michelins, within a second of the class-winner’s best time on Hoosiers. I attribute the difference to driver’s ability, not tires.

Bill, seat time may have also affected your friend’s position in the field. Most of the fast I cars were from the Atlanta area and have been on the track before. I know the top 3 beat G cars consistently. Also, Friday was an ugly day for wrecks, and speeds increased dramatically Saturday and Sunday.

I am thinking of running Michelins exclusively from now on.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:25 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

James, I think this could be a good clearinghouse for information.

I would add a "value" rating that is perhaps cost per heat cycle. For example the Hoosier would do poorly the Kumho's would do well and an expensive tire like the MPSC would do rise near the top because people are getting 20+ heat cycles out of them and they are pretty quick.

Also I think it's best to rate these tires relative to each other since that's really what we are looking at. Do you want the fastest tire? Cheapest tire? Longest life span tire? Lightest tire?

Sure a lot of what were doing here is very subjective but maybe people could begin to rank the different subjective aspects of each tire on scale of 1-10 and then try to quantify things like # of heat cycles, etc. Things like sizes offered is just data that someone needs to extract from the mfg.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:45 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Anyone want to chime in on the Corsas?
Old 06-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Mark,

What size do you run on your SC? We are still going to run them at the 12 hour (225-50-15), I think they shine there.

Bill
Old 06-07-2004, 04:24 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Bill,

I run 225/50 245/45 on 16's. I wish they had 245/15s, as I have many more sets of 15 Fuchs than the one set of 16's.

By the way, I ran my quickest lap on lap 24 of about 48, just before the red mist started taking over. I looped it a couple of times, and put a couple of flat spots on the tires.

I didn't check temps, but my pressures were consistent during the pit stop at 1 hour, and at the end of the race.

How many sets are you planning on running in 12 hours?
Old 06-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Mark

Believe it or not, we are going to try to make it on one set. Last year at Gingerman we took two sets of MPSC's, and swapped at the 5 hour mark. We did not wear either set to half way. So by that logic we should be able to go 10-12 hours on one set. We still have one set left from last year, and they are a little less than half gone, so we will carry them just in case. We are taking some Hoosier, and Kuhmo real old stuff on for practice. But we will qualify on the set of New MPSC's, and try to run the whole race on them. (I know, lotsa luck)

By the way we use the 225-50-15 MPSC's. I think they would work on your SC, but you know your car better than I do. We use to always use 225-50-16, or 245-45-16's, and were surprised when the 225-50-15's seemed to work as well, and the gearing is a whole lot better, though it may not be on a 911.

Bill
Old 06-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone heard if Michelin is going to expand the available sizes for the MSPC's. I would love to give them a try but I'm running 245/275x17. I emailed Tire Rack about this and he said he has no idea, and that he would be the last to know.

Also what about throwing the Victoracers into the mix. Better quality than the V700's, cheap, and IMO faster than the Toyo's. I may be in the minority, but I wasn't crazy about the Toyo's. Great tread life but they got hard as a rock, which is contrary to the "they keep getting faster right up until you cord them" comments I had heard.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Skip Wolfe
Also what about throwing the Victoracers into the mix. Better quality than the V700's, cheap, and IMO faster than the Toyo's. I may be in the minority, but I wasn't crazy about the Toyo's.
In my experience Toyo RA1's are faster than the Victoracers, but only if you shave them.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:43 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

If you run the correct pressure on MPSC (very low) and they are heated up 2-3 laps. They are fantastic tires. I had the same experience as Eric .... almost did a 360 on my first warm up lap with new MPSC. Once they were warmed up .. I never had the problem again. When they are new they are tough.

AA
Old 06-08-2004, 11:26 AM
SHRKBIT
Racer

Default Re: The Ultimate R-compound tire thread

FWIW, the Kumho V710 appears to be on its way back after resolving production issues. I'm a bit surprised at the initial break-in requirements ('break them in this way or you'll destroy them').

SCCA forums link (Rudy Consolacion's post)

Curt
Old 06-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Curt, where did you hear they are coming back. I talked to Jim at Tire Rack this morning, and didn't know anything about it.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
Old 06-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Copuple of observations of mine: The MPSCs work much better on a heavier car (3000ish lbs) With lower pressures 29-32F 32-34R. If you've run S03s enough to love them, You'll never like MPSCs they just have a comepletely different feel. The S04 is a great tire with a great big problem.
18s cord very fast. For whatever reasons my G cars and H cars with 17s have had no cording problems at all. In fact one of my fastest G guys ran them for 15 heat cycles on his car with no cording or loss of grip. The car has Data Aq so we can measure the grip. On this car you could measure loss of grip after 4/5 heat cycles on S03s. I was at Barber this weekend ( I was the Scrute) I talked to Jason at Woodman's He had a pile of corded S04s 18s(245/275/285/305) and also a smaller pile of 16s with what looked like tread seperation. I talked to Jeff Speer from hoosier yesterday he said they were testing a new version of the tire next week. So keep your fingers crossed
Dan Jacobs

Quick Reply: The Ultimate R-compound tire thread