Sponsored by:

992 CAN bus DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 08:16 PM
build.bat
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 992 CAN bus DIY

trying to replicate my DIY can bus device for RaceChrono, like i did with my g80 m3

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1959139

basically, RaceChrono Pro allows you to make your own DIY devices and send CAN bus data to it via Bluetooth LE. i am doing this with a Adafruit ESP32 device. used posi-taps to tap into the green/brown twisted pair wires in the passenger footwell. this setup was almost identical to the g80, just different wires, and it worked amazingly on the track, RaceChrono on iPhone 13+ was easily able to handle 25hz GPS via Racebox mini + CAN bus data from 10 channels from 10hz to 50hz (not all PIDs broadcast at the same rate).

i got my hands on the 992 CUP car manual and it had a bunch of PIDs listed, but unfortunately none of those seem to match up. so now i use a raspberry pi + pi can hat to use can-utils and can-sniffer to log data, press pedals and move steering wheel and try and figure out which PIDs are which and decode the data. i wish manufacturers, especially ones that have "track" manuals for their cars would publish these few PIDs that track ppl are usually interested in...

i have tried the latest Track Precision app. its a little buggy, but has a lot of great potential, love that apple allows it on carplay (unlike racechrono), but messing around with it, i still feel like RaceChrono app is crazy stable, can use 25hz GPSes like Racebox mini, and has slightly better analysis interface, so i would really like to get as many PIDs as i can decoded. i see some posts for older generations, like 996, 997, so hopefully some of those PIDs are the same in 992.

EDIT: i didn't realize there was a Data Acquisition and Analysis for Racing and DE sub-forum, maybe an admin can move this there?

Last edited by build.bat; 10-01-2023 at 08:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by build.bat:
519Kris (10-01-2023), Last_935 (10-02-2023), paradocs98 (10-06-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 CAN bus DIY