Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pitt Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2023 | 04:31 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Default Pitt Race

Just got back from 3 days at Pitt Race with Potomac.
DE was awesome, great driving, great people, great student, limited offs and incidents, and we really dodged some weather bullets and had dry track for 11 of 12 sessions for pretty much everybody.
Every time I leave Pitt, I can't help but wonder why this amazing track continues to fly under the radar.
It has everything you could possibly want in a racetrack. High speed straights and kinks, amazing esses, tons of grip, lots of elevation change, state of the art facilities, and an awesome flow to the track itself.
It does not offer the crazy high speeds that Watkins and Virginia do, but it makes up for that in every other way. Pitt does have a long front straight, and the high-speed kinks in the back are flat out amazing.
It really has moved into my top 3 favorites along with WGI and VIR.
Pitt just does it for me each time every time.
I just can't help wonder why it is rarely spoken about. Yes, it's a full 6 hours to tow there for me, but very well worth it.
If you haven't been to Pitt Race, you really need to get out there, get someone in your right seat to show you the track, and then just drive to your hearts content.

I think it has more flow than any other track I have driven, and the racing surface has amazing grip, although it is def tough on tires due to its coarseness.

If it was closer to me, I would def be sacrificing some of the 35-40 days/season I spend at The Glen and give more of that time to Pitt Race.
Problem is that Pitt is almost twice the towing time for me compared to The Glen, and the events there are mostly on weekends, so tying in a couple extra days before or after a 3-day event is kinda tough.
It really is an amazing place, and it flows like nobody's business.
How does it continue to fly under the radar? This is a world class racetrack with world class facilities.
Give it a try if you haven't been. The addiction factor here is high. You will want to go back.

OK, that is all for now, so back to your regularly scheduled programming.......

The following 6 users liked this post by dgrobs:
linderpat (06-28-2023), Matt Romanowski (06-27-2023), Maxant13 (06-26-2023), ProCoach (06-26-2023), steveP911 (06-26-2023), WillyDaP (06-26-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-26-2023 | 09:14 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Good seeing u there over the weekend. For a first timer, there was a lot to learn. Ill post a couple laps later this week from the white group.
Old 06-26-2023 | 09:36 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

I cannot believe that people complain about their track access and the distance they have to drive. Seems like most of these comments originate from entitlement due to their living locale. Those making those should move to an area where 6+ hrs towing one way might be the norm instead of a lot less; or the expectation of having them on weekdays other than a weekend. Wonder how many here truly think this thinking is the norm.
Is all of this representative of being about the people and not the cars and all that is implied with that?

Last edited by ExMB; 06-26-2023 at 09:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (06-27-2023)
Old 06-26-2023 | 09:50 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
I cannot believe that people complain about their track access and the distance they have to drive. Seems like most of these comments originate from entitlement due to their living locale. Those making those should move to an area where 6+ hrs towing one way might be the norm instead of a lot less; or the expectation of having them on weekdays other than a weekend. Wonder how many here truly think this thinking is the norm.
Is all of this representative of being about the people and not the cars and all that is implied with that?
Who’s complaining about track access and towing distance?
You referring to my post and the 6 hour tow and the weekend dates at Pitt Race?

Last edited by dgrobs; 06-26-2023 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2023 | 09:51 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Good seeing u there over the weekend. For a first timer, there was a lot to learn. Ill post a couple laps later this week from the white group.
Yeah, back atcha. What a great weekend. Good seeing you too.
Your tow rig kills me every time I see it. Jealous.
MetroNYHPDE (07-01-2023)
Old 06-26-2023 | 10:28 PM
wthensler
Instructor

Pitt Race was a big surprise, in a positive way. I was there with Chin near the end of May, we had two great driving weather days. IMO it doesn’t quite require the patience of NCM, kinda reminded me of a blend of Barber and NCM. Track flows well and just enough elevation change to make it interesting.

The track is grippy, but is coarse at the esses and will eat tires there.

I did a Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Pitt Race and Mid Ohio extravaganza tour, quite a thrill. And I towed up from FL (for the potential complainers).

Last edited by wthensler; 06-26-2023 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2023 | 10:49 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wthensler
Pitt Race was a big surprise, in a positive way. I was there with Chin near the end of May, we had two great driving weather days. IMO it doesn’t quite require the patience of NCM, kinda reminded me of a blend of Barber and NCM. Track flows well and just enough elevation change to make it interesting.

The track is grippy, but is coarse at the esses and will eat tires there.

I did a Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Pitt Race and Mid Ohio extravaganza tour, quite a thrill. And I towed up from FL (for the potential complainers).

That track eats tires everywhere, not just from 7 to 12.
If it’s a warm afternoon, I try to avoid taking a late pass in most corners at Pitt cause I don’t want to pick up 8 lbs of extra rubber, especially if the slicks are new(er).
The amazing grip has a price. You pay in rubber. I did a track walk there a few years back with Potomac as they run there regularly and I
hop on board whenever the schedule allows. I rubbed my hand on the track surface by the downhill starting at 14. I would swear I was rubbing my hand on coarse sandpaper.
Toughest track on tires I’ve ever been to. If you don’t rotate them each day and run for a full 3 days, good chance you’ll cord em out before you cycle them out. Gotta rotate there.
Glad you got there and hope you’ll be back.
Me and GBuff are back at the Glen with Chin this week. Fly up and join us. Rent one the 89 cars. Yes?
wthensler (06-28-2023)
Old 06-27-2023 | 09:24 AM
wthensler
Instructor

Hahahaha, Mike Fitzpatrick and I are good buddies! I’ve rented his C8s at NCM, and he provides trackside support for the 458 Challenge (he did a 1:30 in the 458 at Mid Ohio). Class guy.

I had a bunch of work lined up for next few weeks which fell through, so I may join you. Let me see if I can get a spot at Chin. I’m Blue/Red (ready for a check ride at WGI).

WGI is a favorite, I typically make the trek three times per year and do back to back events when there.
Old 06-27-2023 | 09:29 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Hahahaha, Mike Fitzpatrick and I are good buddies! I’ve rented his C8s at NCM, and he provides trackside support for the 458 Challenge (he did a 1:30 in the 458 at Mid Ohio). Class guy.

I had a bunch of work lined up for next few weeks which fell through, so I may join you. Let me see if I can get a spot at Chin. I’m Blue/Red (ready for a check ride at WGI).

WGI is a favorite, I typically make the trek three times per year and do back to back events when there.
Awesome. Find us if you come up. You know Gbuffs car and I’ll have the Green GT3.
Hope to see you there.
wthensler (06-28-2023)
Old 06-27-2023 | 10:50 AM
nineball
Burning Brakes

you forgot to mention the best part of pitt - clean, AIR CONDITIONED bathrooms! many a time i have walked in in the heat of summer to find people hanging out cooling down

awesome place.
Old 06-27-2023 | 10:56 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nineball
you forgot to mention the best part of pitt - clean, AIR CONDITIONED bathrooms! many a time i have walked in in the heat of summer to find people hanging out cooling down

awesome place.
Thought I covered that under World (First) Class Facilities, but you are 100% correct.

Best track bathrooms around. And yes, the A/C in there is a much-needed reprieve from that Allegheny summer heat and humidity.

Good catch.

Last edited by dgrobs; 06-27-2023 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2023 | 11:16 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Just checked the Chin roster and it looks like the event is full except for a spot or 2 in advanced solo/red.
Just an FYI...

Roster | Watkins Glen - 06/28/2023 - 06/29/2023, Wednesday-Thursday | Chin Track Days
Old 06-27-2023 | 11:54 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I am always jazzed for driving Mid Ohio but the 12 hour tow doesn't sound as fun. Putting it together with a Pitt Race event would be cool if I can find dates that work.
Old 06-27-2023 | 11:59 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I am always jazzed for driving Mid Ohio but the 12 hour tow doesn't sound as fun. Putting it together with a Pitt Race event would be cool if I can find dates that work.
Oh man, I would do that combo with you in a heartbeat. Next season maybe. I think Mid-O has a lot more events than Pitt does (not 100% sure of that), so working the Mid-O dates around and after the Pitt dates would be the way to set that up.

Would be an amazing week for sure...

Bring lots of tires. With the Mid-O repave later this year, both tracks will be eating lots of rubber.
Old 06-27-2023 | 12:09 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

NOR PCA has an event at MO the last weekend of september if anyone is planning ahead. hit me up if you need details.

Quick Reply: Pitt Race