Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pitt Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2023 | 05:39 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

I don't think it flies under the radar...but it doesn't host big event's like WGI and VIR so its not always in the major motorsport news cycle.

It's a great track. Super nice campus with wonderful vistas and a top notch karting facility.

Just don't stay in the local close by hotels !!!!! Sketch

Last edited by 168glhs1986; 06-27-2023 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2023 | 06:09 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
I don't think it flies under the radar...but it doesn't host big event's like WGI and VIR so its not always in the major motorsport news cycle.

It's a great track. Super nice campus with wonderful vistas and a top notch karting facility.

Just don't stay in the local close by hotels !!!!! Sketch
The Ramada is haunted….
The following users liked this post:
168glhs1986 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-27-2023 | 08:12 PM
wthensler
Instructor

About the only knock about Pitt is the relative lack of nearby accommodations. Last time I stayed just north of the city - it was way too far.

I like the Chin events because they generally schedule back-to-back Pitt and Mid O events, and sometimes do the same with Road Atlanta and Barber.

We’re all essentially junkies here anyway, they just make it easier to spend your money.

Old 06-27-2023 | 09:48 PM
Gshopper
7th Gear

What Wthensler said. Pitt is great! Mid-O is even more greater!. As long as you have made the trip to Pittsburgh, ¿porque no los dos? I've been doing the Chin Memorial Day Pitt/Mid-O pilgrimage for the past two years. No intention of stopping. Two great tracks. And Chin puts on a great show. They treat their instructors very well. Totally worth an extra 90 minutes drive.
Old 06-27-2023 | 10:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Then I'm thinking about hitting Nelson Ledges too.
Old 06-27-2023 | 10:56 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Originally Posted by wthensler
About the only knock about Pitt is the relative lack of nearby accommodations. Last time I stayed just north of the city - it was way too far.

I
C'mon!!! Cranberry is only 20 mins from the track, and there's every hotel you'd like to try.
linderpat (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023 | 08:04 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Love having Pitt Race in the backyard, and not too far from WG or MidO (thank God or per exMB I'd have to move closer before I could say anything negative about that). It is true about the tires though. Also, the elevation changes are very good, including our own little version of the "corkscrew" (turns 3 -4 down to 5). Here's a fantastic instructional video of the track, done by Jack N - one of the best drivers around, and a Pitt Race instructor:
Old 06-28-2023 | 02:09 PM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Just got back from 3 days at Pitt Race with Potomac.
I think this is going to have to be my next "Away" trip , though VIR is about the same distance.
dgrobs (06-28-2023)
Old 06-29-2023 | 12:08 AM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

To give you an idea of the mindset of ownership: I was at the track today and watched one of the owners, in full race suit pulling weeds around the bushes by the bathroom. I said hey Jim you really wear multiple hats around here huh? He laughed and said I just hate weeds! They have spared no expense since they took over and it really shows. Pittrace is a premier track and facility.
The following 3 users liked this post by Racerrob:
168glhs1986 (06-29-2023), dgrobs (07-02-2023), linderpat (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023 | 06:51 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Racerrob
To give you an idea of the mindset of ownership: I was at the track today and watched one of the owners, in full race suit pulling weeds around the bushes by the bathroom. I said hey Jim you really wear multiple hats around here huh? He laughed and said I just hate weeds! They have spared no expense since they took over and it really shows. Pittrace is a premier track and facility.
Did he have the RS with the Pitt Race wrap?
Old 06-29-2023 | 01:39 PM
bubba928
Rennlist Member

For what it's worth I too have driven Pitt, only once though, retired instructor, now solo driver, and I don't think I'll ever return. First it is a great facility with proper track amenities. But for me it's just a very BUSY track with it's many series of tight turns and short straights. There's little time to get your breath and it's hard to get into a good rhythm. Also, maybe because of my age, it's very tiring to drive, unlike The Glen, VIR, Mosport, Tremblant, Mid Ohio, or RA. Lastly, as others have said, poor local accommodations and even poorer decent restaurants. Just my two cents
Old 06-29-2023 | 02:52 PM
mr.t0fu
Instructor

Originally Posted by bubba928
For what it's worth I too have driven Pitt, only once though, retired instructor, now solo driver, and I don't think I'll ever return. First it is a great facility with proper track amenities. But for me it's just a very BUSY track with it's many series of tight turns and short straights. There's little time to get your breath and it's hard to get into a good rhythm. Also, maybe because of my age, it's very tiring to drive, unlike The Glen, VIR, Mosport, Tremblant, Mid Ohio, or RA. Lastly, as others have said, poor local accommodations and even poorer decent restaurants. Just my two cents
Fair. But the bbq they have there is on point! Pulled pork over mac and cheese for the win!
Old 06-29-2023 | 09:33 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Did he have the RS with the Pitt Race wrap?
They have his and hers. One has black and red livery and one is mostly white. I think we converted them from those stupid Vipers they used to race😎
Old 06-29-2023 | 11:17 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Originally Posted by bubba928
Lastly, as others have said, poor local accommodations and even poorer decent restaurants. Just my two cents
I'm local to PittRace (30 mins away) so don't need the hotels. There's a really good selection 20mins from the track, similar distance to Horseheads from the Glen and Ontario form Mid O. The track makes it worthwhile. Especially if you meet Jim and Kathy's dog at the driver's meeting.
Old 06-30-2023 | 09:52 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Racerrob
They have his and hers. One has black and red livery and one is mostly white. I think we converted them from those stupid Vipers they used to race😎
Yeah, awesome cars. Seen them at the track a few times.
Been at a couple drivers meetings when Kathy was in attendance. Very cool that the owners of Pitt Race take such an interest in their customers, and they show it all the time.
I always stay at the Microtel in Beaver Falls, but per Glynny’s urging (for years now), I will give Cranberry a shot on my next trip. It’s a little (very) bit further than BF, but only by a few minutes.

Quick Reply: Pitt Race