Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is base 987.2 2.9's PDK cooling enough for a track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 04:57 PM
plafondles
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Opposer
how can it be done? PIWIS?

how can i check coolant level? the "float" in the coolant tank should be "outside"?
PIWIS, Durametric, maybe some other software programs can run the fans manually. You can also hear them running if you get out of your car after a sprinted drive after getting the temps up.

Coolant level can be checked in the hatch area next to where you fill the oil. Open the coolant cap (when the car is cold!) and you can look down the tube and check the level.

I suspect the thermostat if you have enough coolant. Not 100% on the Porsche, but in general, radiator fans wont turn on when the car is running as there is airflow going through the radiators already. They turn on when the car is stopped so it can pull air through the radiator when you are stopped.

If the thermostat isn't opening, than the radiator function isn't even being used to cool down the coolant.

The following users liked this post:
Opposer (07-11-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 05:40 PM
GroupJ
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I meant the Cayman plaform in general, but I still see them. not everyone who wants to go to the track has an S.

Here's what a mildly modified 6-speed 2.9 (IMSA ST) can do around COTA in the wet. https://youtu.be/sTC9UXOeVWc
Mildy modified? I'd like to see the mods list - doesn't look like full Cayman Sport specs but close - nice video - gives me hope. The handling of the Cayman shines through in this video.
Old 07-22-2023, 05:43 PM
GroupJ
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

What is IMSA ST - couldn't find on google?
Old 07-23-2023, 10:57 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by GroupJ
What is IMSA ST - couldn't find on google?
It's the old "Street Tuner" class that has been replaced by the TCR class about 4-5 years ago.

A Win’s a Win for Continental Tire Challenge Street Tuner Team Bodymotion Racing | IMSA

Quick Reply: Is base 987.2 2.9's PDK cooling enough for a track?