Sponsored by:

Installing E-track

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 10:58 AM
LanceK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing E-track

I getting ready to install E-track in my trailer.

Looking for tips on how to install. I would prefer to countersink the Etrack so the highest part is flush with the wall and floor, but I've heard this is a bear.

For reference I have the white vinyl walls but my floor is plywood. I'm looking to install a new floor as well. Any recommendations on floor type and how to incorporate the E-track with the new floor are welcomed.

TIA
Old 05-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LanceK

Diamond plate alum is neat for a floor, but kinda expensive. A friend of mine got some at a discount because they had custom cut some, and the guy that ordered it renigged.

Just out of curiosity, what is E-Track? Sorry, I'm so dumb

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
Old 05-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you mounting H or V ETrack, and what loads are you securing to it ?

Countersinking in the floor - you could probably do it if you have a wood floor and had LOTS of time and patience with a dado blade in a handheld circular saw...BUT you might not want to go that deep as you'll affect the structural strength of the plywood floor - ETrack is about 3/4" from the bottom of the flange to the top of the raised section. If you're planning on tying down the car with ETrack, you'd better make sure you've secured it well. Drill down thru the mounting holes in the side flanges, then bolt with BIG backing plates, in those areas around where you'll tie the fore and aft ties.

Personally, I think it's a pain in the *** on floors, as you're always tripping over it. I'd rather have 10-16 good folding hard tie-down swivels mounted on the floor, but that's just my opinion.

For walls, you probably won't be able to countersink as the walls aren't thick enough. I've got it on my vertical ETrack on my trailer walls, and use it with clip-in shoring beams to create a tire rack that I can drive under when I've got the sports racer (i.e. very low) in the trailer. I mounted it with big-*** short sheetmetal screws (i.e. shorter than the thickness of the space between the inside and outside walls), drilled into the vertical metal studs. You'll only be able to catch one side of the ETrack flange and screw it to the stud, but 70,000+ trailer miles and it hasn't come loose yet.

Sometimes I wish I had horizontal ETrack, but unless you line the whole damn trailer with ETrack, it's never where you want it.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:37 PM
LukeSportsman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have E track in my hands, but if your installing a new floor, couldn't you buy the correct thickness marine board and cut it to fit around the floor e track. Then surface the way you'd like with tile or what have you. I would not like to cut out the original floor because of strenth and the fact that you are creating stress points right where your needing strength.

This could yield a strong, sterile installation with minimal tripping
Old 05-21-2004, 11:10 AM
LanceK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prof...I believe the ones I have in mind are the H variety.

Upon further thinking I think I'll use D-rings on the floor and E-track on the walls. I wasn't planning on cutting into the original plywood floor but rather installing a new floor over it along with the E-track. I was hoping to have the E-track flush as I've seen in various trailers.

I have seen the E-track mounted flush on the walls as well. Many of these seem to be mounted in a grey carpet type of material. There are a couple photos in the Pace American brochures and on their website as well I believe.

Mounting flush on the walls isn't as critical since I won't be tripping over it but when sliding something along the wall i.e. toolbox it seems like it would be a nice feature.

Anybody know a good cheap place to purchase E-track? I'll need quite a bit of it and wouldn't mind saving some dough.

TIA
Old 05-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

S-Line.com
Old 05-21-2004, 04:36 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Racer Wholesale, or their sister company Racer Parts Wholesale, used to carry it, along with the rest of the S-Line pieces. Check with them.

I too have seem the stuff counter-sunk into trailer floors, but it came that way from the factory. Major re-engineer to do it yourself, as you've pointed out.

Quick Reply: Installing E-track