Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying Miatas ruining track days

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 08:18 PM
M13S
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

So now this is a dick measuring contest of racing experience to discuss hode etiquette? I'm sure your well respected at the track and when they see your bad *** car on thier six and move.

Anytime you want to compare racing resumes we can take it off line. That's your way to let me know your a serious cat. I dig that, maybe we can meet at a track some time and ill give you a point by when you fill my mirrors with your all menacing track car.

I stated a simple option to an age old problem and of course this turned into an internet pissing match.

I'm at tracks all around the east coast and maybe I could learn a thing or to from you.

The following users liked this post:
nineball (05-25-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 08:26 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,676 Likes on 1,704 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
VO5 hot oil.

That's what hairdresser school taught me anyway
So Miata and Boxster oil are compatible? Never knew that.
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Jnelso (05-24-2023), R717 (05-24-2023), Zhao (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 08:46 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Guys stop already.

Trying to watch the freakin hockey game yet I’m stuck here in the Hotel California.

Enough already. Puck's about to drop…..
Old 05-24-2023, 10:25 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by M13S
So now this is a dick measuring contest of racing experience to discuss hode etiquette? I'm sure your well respected at the track and when they see your bad *** car on thier six and move.

Anytime you want to compare racing resumes we can take it off line. That's your way to let me know your a serious cat. I dig that, maybe we can meet at a track some time and ill give you a point by when you fill my mirrors with your all menacing track car.

I stated a simple option to an age old problem and of course this turned into an internet pissing match.

I'm at tracks all around the east coast and maybe I could learn a thing or to from you.
Basic HPDE etiquette is if a slower car is in your rear view mirror, it's because he/she/they are a faster driver than you. Basic HPDE etiquette is not to pull in the pits when you catch up to a CupCar.

Last edited by Olemiss540; 05-24-2023 at 10:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Olemiss540:
CT_Peter (05-24-2023), stownsen914 (05-24-2023), Zhao (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 10:49 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,743 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by M13S

We could compare resumes on here but a resume is garbage for proving who's faster or whatever you want it to prove (I have a pretty good win record I'm proud of, some track records, some other crap I am sure I can dredge up so it's not like I have nothing). I or yourself could have 40 years of racing experience, show up every race weekend to drive, driven triple digit tracks, win tons of races and still be a terrible driver (I literally know someone like that) compared to someone with 5 years of experience at a handful of tracks and a crappy looking resume. I really do like dick measuring and bragging about how good I think I am, it's literally what the point of racing is when it comes down to it, but it's not what the topic of this thread is.

With this topic you should be attacking the words or concept not the person. Attacking the person to me says your argument sucks. Not really explaining your logic behind your position is telling too. I still don't know why you think your way is better. Everyone knows it's an option, everyone who has been around more than a decade has seen it put into practice but I don't see anyone agreeing it's the best way to do things. You seem to be a lone wolf on taht topic. Want to explain it better why you think the coddling and ignoring the slow driver breaking the rules to the punishment of everyone else paying to use the track is the ideal way to do things?

Last edited by Zhao; 05-24-2023 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:15 AM
quickboxster
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

__

Last edited by quickboxster; 05-25-2023 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:56 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

So I have the same dilemma but with most types of cars. I drive LMP cars and don't do DE to run and compete against others, but to improve my skills and limits where possible, I almost stopped doing Chin events as Miata's are in the fast group and whilst you are going almost 30-40 seconds a lap quicker than them it becomes dangerous. PCA is awesome as most of us know each other and point by's are instant in both GT3's and Cup cars, its rare to see a Miata in Pink group at PCA which is why i do them.

Closing speeds on Miata's or similar powered cars is dangerous at times, I feel that run groups should be based on car average lap times so not to hold up other cars. Agreed some epic Miata / Boxster drivers out there way better than myself if I drove their machinery, but the lap times should be reviewed and put into groups that make sense.

johnsopa (05-28-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 10:52 AM
M13S
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
We could compare resumes on here but a resume is garbage for proving who's faster or whatever you want it to prove (I have a pretty good win record I'm proud of, some track records, some other crap I am sure I can dredge up so it's not like I have nothing). I or yourself could have 40 years of racing experience, show up every race weekend to drive, driven triple digit tracks, win tons of races and still be a terrible driver (I literally know someone like that) compared to someone with 5 years of experience at a handful of tracks and a crappy looking resume. I really do like dick measuring and bragging about how good I think I am, it's literally what the point of racing is when it comes down to it, but it's not what the topic of this thread is.

With this topic you should be attacking the words or concept not the person. Attacking the person to me says your argument sucks. Not really explaining your logic behind your position is telling too. I still don't know why you think your way is better. Everyone knows it's an option, everyone who has been around more than a decade has seen it put into practice but I don't see anyone agreeing it's the best way to do things. You seem to be a lone wolf on taht topic. Want to explain it better why you think the coddling and ignoring the slow driver breaking the rules to the punishment of everyone else paying to use the track is the ideal way to do things?
You state I have a problem, I don't. Then state your racing record, I didn't ask, then say I'm attacking you, I'm not.

This is worse than dealing with my ex wife.

nineball (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 10:54 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Hold on, lemme get my ruler......
Old 05-25-2023, 11:19 AM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 433 Likes on 279 Posts

I got a tape measure.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:20 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nowanker
I got a tape measure.
Judging by the contestants, one in particular, I think a ruler would do just fine, probably a smaller 6-inch ruler at that.....
Old 05-25-2023, 11:28 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by hsb1001
So I have the same dilemma but with most types of cars. I drive LMP cars and don't do DE to run and compete against others, but to improve my skills and limits where possible, I almost stopped doing Chin events as Miata's are in the fast group and whilst you are going almost 30-40 seconds a lap quicker than them it becomes dangerous. PCA is awesome as most of us know each other and point by's are instant in both GT3's and Cup cars, its rare to see a Miata in Pink group at PCA which is why i do them.

Closing speeds on Miata's or similar powered cars is dangerous at times, I feel that run groups should be based on car average lap times so not to hold up other cars. Agreed some epic Miata / Boxster drivers out there way better than myself if I drove their machinery, but the lap times should be reviewed and put into groups that make sense.
The reason for the Pink group that you mention exists is that several years ago (maybe 7 or 8?) Suncoast PCA had a problem brewing in their Black run group that it was a very very crowded space with cars and drivers of varying pace. They had around 200 cars at any given event and a vast majority of them were in advanced solo (Black) so what they decided to do was to split the group based on a minimum lap time. Anyone under 2:30 in advanced solo was put in Pink group and everyone else remained in Black. They also extended the day by an extra 30 minutes so they could fit in all the run groups with equal time. It has been a solution that has worked quite well for them and their drivers.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mike Roblin:
dgrobs (05-25-2023), Mikelly (06-04-2023), NastyHabits (05-26-2023), thebishman (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 11:33 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
The reason for the Pink group that you mention exists is that several years ago (maybe 7 or 8?) Suncoast PCA had a problem brewing in their Black run group that it was a very very crowded space with cars and drivers of varying pace. They had around 200 cars at any given event and a vast majority of them were in advanced solo (Black) so what they decided to do was to split the group based on a minimum lap time. Anyone under 2:30 in advanced solo was put in Pink group and everyone else remained in Black. They also extended the day by an extra 30 minutes so they could fit in all the run groups with equal time. It has been a solution that has worked quite well for them and their drivers.
A very good solution indeed! Wish Chin and some others would follow the same but appears anyone can rock up in a Miata and say "Im an instructor/ex pro etc" and I need to run with the fast cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by hsb1001:
dgrobs (05-25-2023), Jim Cobb (06-03-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 12:30 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 289 Likes on 181 Posts

@M13S - a question. Are you saying that a primary response for a lower-powered car that is running faster lap times than higher powered cars, should be to duck in the pits when a driver refuses to give a passing signal? Rather than expecting a the "faster" (but actually slower) car to give a pass?

Of course that's the option if the "faster"/slower car refuses to give the signal, but why wouldn't it be appropriate to educate/remind the driver of said car about the courtesy of letting lower powered cars pass?
The following 2 users liked this post by stownsen914:
dgrobs (05-25-2023), Zhao (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 12:46 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by stownsen914
@M13S - a question. Are you saying that a primary response for a lower-powered car that is running faster lap times than higher powered cars, should be to duck in the pits when a driver refuses to give a passing signal? Rather than expecting a the "faster" (but actually slower) car to give a pass?

Of course that's the option if the "faster"/slower car refuses to give the signal, but why wouldn't it be appropriate to educate/remind the driver of said car about the courtesy of letting lower powered cars pass?
I provide on the job training for these "faster" cars that doesn't require the intervention of the program management. And if it does.....

Quick Reply: Annoying Miatas ruining track days