Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying Miatas ruining track days

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 07:44 PM
mobius911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I know of one group that runs a driver debrief after every session, regardless of whether it's beginner or advanced (they have 4 levels total). If you don't attend, you don't get a helmet sticker and can't run the next session. The lower-level sessions should (and generally do) take longer than the advanced session debriefs, but they all typically last less than 15 minutes. The sessions include admitted self-owns as well as issues spotted by the instructors and/or corner workers, as well as a general Q&A. I found the debriefs almost always brought up "teachable moments", and the discussion and interaction led the group to feel more like a team working together to make sure everyone had a great time rather than individual "competitors".

This approach takes effort, but I think it's well worth it. Issues like the above would be spotted and dealt with before the next session.
The following 2 users liked this post by mobius911:
dgrobs (06-06-2023), NastyHabits (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 08:28 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
But it wasn't just the BMW. Look at the awareness level of this "advanced" run group, all of them in that train, from the locomotive to the caboose.
From 12:20 on, it's just a mess from lack of awareness, lack of courtesy, and lack of respect, from pretty much everybody in the train.
Some won't give a point, some don't know how to GIVE a point, some don't know how to GET a point, some didn't leave their egos at home, and some just don't know what awareness actually is.

This is a mess for anything above a lower intermediate run group.
I put as much of the blame on the organizers as I do on the drivers, but clearly, this is a first-class mess, and this is their "advanced" run group.
I can only imagine what was going on in the run group "below" this one. (Maybe it was better than the advanced group?)
What was talked about in the drivers meeting? Was "check your mirrors" even mentioned?

Old 06-05-2023, 08:53 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by mobius911
I know of one group that runs a driver debrief after every session, regardless of whether it's beginner or advanced (they have 4 levels total). If you don't attend, you don't get a helmet sticker and can't run the next session. The lower-level sessions should (and generally do) take longer than the advanced session debriefs, but they all typically last less than 15 minutes. The sessions include admitted self-owns as well as issues spotted by the instructors and/or corner workers, as well as a general Q&A. I found the debriefs almost always brought up "teachable moments", and the discussion and interaction led the group to feel more like a team working together to make sure everyone had a great time rather than individual "competitors".

This approach takes effort, but I think it's well worth it. Issues like the above would be spotted and dealt with before the next session.
In my home PCA region NNJR, we have mentor meetings for each run group before the track goes hot each morning and after each run groups last session when the track goes cold in the afternoon.

It works and should be used with groups that might be having issues. It’s a great idea and it works.

Doing it after every session might be a bit much, but if it works, it works.

We do it twice a day, before we start and after we finish. It does indeed work.
Also puts a face to the car so the douchebags who want to be douchebags cannot be said douchebags anonymously. Imagine that.

Thanks for posting this Möbius. Smart stuff…
Old 06-05-2023, 09:17 PM
mobius911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
In my home PCA region NNJR, we have mentor meetings for each run group before the track goes hot each morning and after each run groups last session when the track goes cold in the afternoon.

It works and should be used with groups that might be having issues. It’s a great idea and it works.

Doing it after every session might be a bit much, but if it works, it works.

We do it twice a day, before we start and after we finish. It does indeed work.
Also puts a face to the car so the douchebags who want to be douchebags cannot be said douchebags anonymously. Imagine that.

Thanks for posting this Möbius. Smart stuff…
My first track day was with NNJR at Lime Rock, so long ago I'm embarrassed to admit when it was. I think it was 1987. I was in Jersey Shore region and our goal was to grow up and someday host track days like our big brother to the north. I think they've finally achieved that, although I moved away in 1990. But I still have great memories of that weekend at LRP. "You never forget your first."
Old 06-05-2023, 10:14 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

My first track day was with NNJR at Lime Rock, so long ago I'm embarrassed to admit when it was. I think it was 1987. I was in Jersey Shore region and our goal was to grow up and someday host track days like our big brother to the north. I think they've finally achieved that, although I moved away in 1990. But I still have great memories of that weekend at LRP. "You never forget your first."
Fantastic….
Old 06-06-2023, 07:47 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
I have plenty of experience with slow drivers in fast cars but the bulk majority are courteous and fine to drive alongside even in advanced sessions. Me thinks this issue is more about arrogance than ignorance based on my few interactions with this particular subgroup of slow drivers.

They don't deserve to be reclassed, they deserve to be booted or blacklisted.
I drove my 986 S “Boxzilla” a lot of years in advanced group, and never once had a complaint that I was holding anyone up. It can be done with a modicum of humility, courtesy, and awareness.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mark Dreyer:
dgrobs (06-06-2023), Mike Roblin (06-06-2023), stownsen914 (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 07:49 AM
NastyHabits
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 154 Posts

Love the debrief. Experienced during SCCA time trials last year at Gingerman. I was running MX5 Cup in unlimited class and it sure seemed to ease the mind of the high HP guys that I wasn't a nitwit, in or out of the car.

Also, can't help but wonder if debrief's would have helped the Goat F' that was the Intermediate group at PBOC Sebring in January. About a hundred posts on the topic in the PBOC thread from January.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:28 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NastyHabits
Also, can't help but wonder if debrief's would have helped the Goat F' that was the Intermediate group at PBOC Sebring in January. About a hundred posts on the topic in the PBOC thread from January.
It wouldn’t have hurt, that’s for sure.

Super Solo ran very smoothly IIRC, but the Intermediate group (went out with Roblin in my right seat-thanks Mike ), was a different story.

I think that PBOC was going to do the mentor/debrief thing in the future. I know it was spoken about.

It will help as it puts a face to the car. Amazing how the lack of anonymity changes egos in a hurry.

Already looking forward to Winterfest next January. Such a great time and 5 straight at Sebring is no joke.

Wonderful event.

OK, back to the Miata’s and such…..

Last edited by dgrobs; 06-06-2023 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:55 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I drove my 986 S “Boxzilla” a lot of years in advanced group, and never once had a complaint that I was holding anyone up. It can be done with a modicum of humility, courtesy, and awareness.
100% agree. I drove down a run group for years in my stock e36 and most intermediate drivers were perfectly capable/courteous realizing their high hp car was being outdriven and were quick to point by to get some open track behind them. That's why I dont believe its a training issue as every single drivers meeting addresses this specific issue. Every. Single. One.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:29 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,656 Posts

The bottom line is that regardless of the type of car you drive, or your relative skill level, if you are consistently holding people up you are embarrassing yourself.

If the organization putting on the track day allows a driver to consistently hold up other drivers than they have failed.

It's an easy problem to fix: 1. check your ego at the door; and 2. use your mirrors

Last edited by LuigiVampa; 06-06-2023 at 10:37 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
85Gold (06-06-2023), dgrobs (06-06-2023), Mike Roblin (06-06-2023), thebishman (06-06-2023), Zhao (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 12:56 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
It's an easy problem to fix: 1. check your ego at the door; and 2. use your mirrors
Totally agreed. And to suggest another point
3. Classify drivers correctly - usually up to the org. Though not so common, drivers can do this too as part of point #1!
Old 06-06-2023, 02:11 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 220 Posts

Since I started HPDEs in 1995, there has been a big increase in participation, at least here in the Midwest. So the run groups, obviously have got larger. Cars also have changed, in that 300hp back in the mid-‘90s was a pretty powerful car; today we see ‘newbies’ bringing C7 Z06s; 500 hp Mustangs, etc to the track. Hence these new drivers far more easily can cause a ‘train’ since they are so fast on the straights, but because of lack of experience, are slow in the twisty bits, and they are laser focused on what’s in front; never what’s behind.

The organizations seem to me to be accelerating the time they take to sign someone off to go Solo. Do they really think that a Saturday morning, or perhaps all four sessions during a Saturday is enough time for someone in the Beginner’s group to drive without an instructor? And yet it happens all of the time it seems. When I started taking my son with me, I had a ‘15 Z06/7 and his instructor wanted to sign him off to run solo after two run sessions! My Son, who actually is a good driver thought this was cool AF, but I talked the instructor to stay in the car with him at least throughout the first day. Hell, I’ve been doing this like many of you for decades, but I enjoy having an instructor jump in the car with me now and again.

Sorry for the length of the post, but I really think lack of organizational ‘control’; (perhaps because of a lack of instructors?), is the main issue I’ve had to deal with over these later years.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:28 PM
M13S
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Since I started HPDEs in 1995, there has been a big increase in participation, at least here in the Midwest. So the run groups, obviously have got larger. Cars also have changed, in that 300hp back in the mid-‘90s was a pretty powerful car; today we see ‘newbies’ bringing C7 Z06s; 500 hp Mustangs, etc to the track. Hence these new drivers far more easily can cause a ‘train’ since they are so fast on the straights, but because of lack of experience, are slow in the twisty bits, and they are laser focused on what’s in front; never what’s behind.

The organizations seem to me to be accelerating the time they take to sign someone off to go Solo. Do they really think that a Saturday morning, or perhaps all four sessions during a Saturday is enough time for someone in the Beginner’s group to drive without an instructor? And yet it happens all of the time it seems. When I started taking my son with me, I had a ‘15 Z06/7 and his instructor wanted to sign him off to run solo after two run sessions! My Son, who actually is a good driver thought this was cool AF, but I talked the instructor to stay in the car with him at least throughout the first day. Hell, I’ve been doing this like many of you for decades, but I enjoy having an instructor jump in the car with me now and again.

Sorry for the length of the post, but I really think lack of organizational ‘control’; (perhaps because of a lack of instructors?), is the main issue I’ve had to deal with over these later years.

I think the old - You get what you pay for comes into play.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:32 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Agree with this with some groups and disagree with others.

IME, the "for-profit" groups were a lot more lenient with soloing newer drivers than the "not for profit" groups" BMW, PCA, etc., and this can show up on track as a problem, obviously.

In recent years, the not-for-profit groups, some of them, have become guilty of the same thing. Some!!

It's really on the organizers, whether for profit or not, to develop their programs slowly, and bring their drivers along the same way.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:47 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 310 Likes on 216 Posts

yep. back in the day a 300hp car was a god. in our PCA events instructors and the most advanced students are grouped together into a-blue/a-red and separated by hp, and the cutoff is 350. hp is (relatively) cheap now.

your son's instructor should not be an instructor. no beginner should be out on track after 2 sessions alone. that is ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Annoying Miatas ruining track days