Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best track rain tire for 993 tt ? + string alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 07:46 PM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best track rain tire for 993 tt ? + string alignment?

I am running a 1997 993 TT with 265/35 x 18 frt and 315/30 x 18 rear MPSC's on the road and dry track.

The rim width is 9" front and 11" rear, what is a rain tire that I could run on that rim width? Any idea what the offset would be?It is not on the inside of the rim and I have to buy an extra set of rims.

What is a good string aligment to get and camber abjustment tool? Are they accurate and worth the time if you plan on going from track to street alignments? How long would it take to do the the alignment?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 05-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim,

I noticed noone had answered you. I am not sure how much help I can be because my car is so much different than yours. But I am really impressed with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. We ran them last summer, and they last a long time, which would be great for you on the street. To run them as rain tires, you just pump about 10 extra pounds in them, and they are decent rain tires. (The Michelin man told me that, not the inflatable Michelin Man, but the rep at Michelin) Now the bad news, they are $269 apice for fronts, for you rcar, and $336 for rears, fron Tire Rack. Believe it or not, the price is down from what we paid last year.

I think they are a great tire, and if I drove my car on the street, which I don't, they are what I would use, exclusively.

The alternative is to buy an extra set of wheels, which may or may not solve your problem. Then you can buy super stickey track tires, but then in the rain they are terrible, and if you use your street tires in the rain, they suck also. The 2nd worse I ever wrecked my car, was when I used Dunlop street tires for rain tires, they were impossible.

Good Luck

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
1987 944S Race car under const.

Quick Reply: Best track rain tire for 993 tt ? + string alignment?