Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First track day experience as a passenger.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 09:46 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 575 Posts

If he got a basilar skull fracture because he wasn’t wearing a Hans correctly, I doubt he’d be worrying about a wheelchair. He wouldn’t be worrying about anything. Ask Dale…
Old 02-16-2023, 10:38 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Must have a communicator with passenger, talk to them, observe them. If they go silent and stare at the floor stomach contents can intrude into the cabin.
They also panic quickly when you finally stop and they cannot get the belt undone quick enough. Ha, and I was driving his car. One good over the sill spew and he got out and did a full hands on knees barf. He left that event early.
The following users liked this post:
dpluimer (02-18-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 10:53 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,147 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Must have a communicator with passenger, talk to them, observe them. If they go silent and stare at the floor stomach contents can intrude into the cabin.
They also panic quickly when you finally stop and they cannot get the belt undone quick enough. Ha, and I was driving his car. One good over the sill spew and he got out and did a full hands on knees barf. He left that event early.
I always give a thumbs up to my passenger/student and tell them
before we go out that I want a thumbs up right back every time I give him one. Easy way to see where their equilibrium is. Have yet to have one in my right seat.
Almost though. Funny story about the TOTS day with Niagara a few years back. Thankfully, another instructor filled in for me in his GT3RS, and regrets it to this day.
The following users liked this post:
dpluimer (02-17-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 11:49 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Had a fellow racer (and fellow instructor) with me at Barber, we're sitting at grid and the car is running like crap, seems to be idling terribly and car is shaking like its on its last gasp.

I wondering wtf-- I'm just about to call it off when I look over and then I noticed my racer buddies right leg twitching like crazy -- he's bouncing around so much it was rocking the car!

I called over the coms to see if he's alright -- and he said yeah -- but I'm nervous as hell!

We ended up having a blast as we would analyze all the corners and try different things in real time to see how the car liked it, or how things responded. It was an absolute hoot -- and we both
got much faster after that session.

Old 02-24-2023, 12:51 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by dpluimer
It was the braking I think that really got to me. The acceleration and corners weren't a problem. But, the hard braking was (for some reason) nothing I was prepared for.

Now my friend wants me to do HDPE and get out there on my own.
Threshold braking is way less intense when it's your foot. It's precisely because you weren't prepared. If your driver had given you a cue every time they were about to stand on the brakes, your brain and body would have been prepared.

Quick Reply: First track day experience as a passenger.