Sponsored by:

Floor jack recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 11:54 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
They're expensive,but I love my AC hydraulics jack. Low pad height, like 1.5", long reach and lifts 39"...
The lowest I have seen form them is 3.15 in. with a max height of 28.94 in. for the lightest version.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:26 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

The HF jacks work, but you have to look at the application. The scissor jack in the trunk of a car works too, but it's not for everyday. The cheapest HF aluminum jack works, but not as well as the more expensive one. The steel ones are pretty stout. Then it comes down to the value proposition. If you get value out of an AC Hydraulics jack and want to buy it, go for it. If the HF works for you, go for it. Just please use jack stands.

What I find odd is the jackpoint jack stands.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:30 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski

Can you elaborate? Seem like a good design to me.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:08 AM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 110 Posts

I have the JP stands, and they're the most secure stands I've ever used.
Pros: very secure and stable, Jack and Jack stand use the same location on the car
Cons: not easily height adjustable, need a flat surface

I'm pleased with them
The following users liked this post:
mlct (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 10:20 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

2009 C2S 186K miles

My experiences for home, DIY work on two cars... including suspension replacement, engine pumps etc...

Harbor Frieght 1.5 ton speedjack: https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton...ump-64545.html

This is a jack many Rennlisters use and I saw many use this at DE events. I used this small jack for years and it has been very reliable. However, last year, I noticed one of the pump pistons was frozen "in". I dismantled the unit and cleaned it out. It is working fine now. Why did it freeze? I don't know but still, overall, if you want a light dependable and very cheap jack... I really can't complain about this one. List price is $99 but they run sales on this all the time.

Harbor Frieght 3 ton Daytona: https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-...lue-56641.html

This jack is fabulous... and really low profile... goes easily under my C2S with a hockey puck too. $239 but I used a 25% off coupon. These Daytona jacks are supposed to be an alternative to Snap On jacks.... I think it is great. Project Farm did a video on jack comparisons and tested the Snap On vs the Daytona....

Say what you will about Harbor Freight, but they do make some good stuff.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-21-2023 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:48 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Can you elaborate? Seem like a good design to me.
Originally Posted by Glyndellis
Pros: very secure and stable, Jack and Jack stand use the same location on the car

I'm pleased with them
I should preface with my of my work is on aircooled cars. Very rarely have I been in a spot where it was that hard to jack up at one point and have the stands in a different spot. But, with everyone, it's how you work and what you like. I don't like folding ratchets either.
Old 01-21-2023, 12:49 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 110 Posts

I don't like folding ratchets either.
I'm with you there! I also struggle with stripes in toothpaste and flavored coffee. 😁
The following users liked this post:
Nowanker (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 02:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm with you there! I also struggle with stripes in toothpaste and flavored coffee. 😁
Flavored coffee is total BS. Black, room, and frequent is all I need. My parents told me I could be anything I wanted and I chose caffeinated.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:44 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 528 Posts

I should preface with my of my work is on aircooled cars. Very rarely have I been in a spot where it was that hard to jack up at one point and have the stands in a different spot. But, with everyone, it's how you work and what you like. I don't like folding ratchets either.
Gotcha. I'm working on a current generation car and just doing wheel changes, pads and flushes. My driveway is flat; two Jackpoints and two Escos work for me. I'm not getting under the car for anything. I appreciate your expertise and wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:52 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
The lowest I have seen form them is 3.15 in. with a max height of 28.94 in. for the lightest version.
Well, that's not mine. I assure you, they made one with the specs I listed because I have one sitting in my garage.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:17 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by docwyte
Well, that's not mine. I assure you, they made one with the specs I listed because I have one sitting in my garage.
Please provide the link as I can't find anything remotely close to that on this web site:

https://www.achydraulic.com
Old 01-22-2023, 02:20 AM
winders
Race Car

Here is the lowest profile jack I can find...and it is light too:

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton...4aAqgdEALw_wcB
Old 01-22-2023, 02:27 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Please provide the link as I can't find anything remotely close to that on this web site:

https://www.achydraulic.com
They may not sell it anymore, I've had it for over 12 years.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:20 AM
amurph182
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm pleased with them
Same. Jack from the jackpoint in front of the rear wheel and the JP jackstand goes in back with an Esco stand up front. Can get the whole car off the ground and on stands in a minute or two. My only real issue is with a lowered track car the little pad for the JP sits a bit high on the jack pad and won’t fit under the car. I just park the car with the rear wheels on top of a couple pieces of scrap plywood and it’s good to go.

As for jacks, my HF Pittsburgh-brand 1.5T is 6 years old and works like a champ. It gets used at least 2 or 3 times for every trip to the track, abused like a ****, and has never given me a moment of trouble.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:36 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by amurph182
Same. Jack from the jackpoint in front of the rear wheel and the JP jackstand goes in back with an Esco stand up front. Can get the whole car off the ground and on stands in a minute or two. My only real issue is with a lowered track car the little pad for the JP sits a bit high on the jack pad and won’t fit under the car. I just park the car with the rear wheels on top of a couple pieces of scrap plywood and it’s good to go.

As for jacks, my HF Pittsburgh-brand 1.5T is 6 years old and works like a champ. It gets used at least 2 or 3 times for every trip to the track, abused like a ****, and has never given me a moment of trouble.
I had one 1.5T HF for about 10 years that died and I was unable to rebuild it.

I replaced it with another one.

The only concern I have is that the lift portion sometimes twists and gets caught on the outside rails -- and this sometimes means I can't get the jack out from under my low profile cars, with out jacking up and untwisting it as it lowers.

Quick Reply: Floor jack recommendation