Sponsored by:

Is the sport in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 09:18 PM
Estoril
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
That’s not why we instruct Einstein, but then again, WTF does that have to do with self tech?
We instruct because it gives us the right to be condescending power hungry a$$hole douchebags, at least in “your” region anyway.
We also get to self tech, because we instructors have an inbred need to be better than everyone else. It’s how we get set up to become track chairs and region presidents.
They also give us instructors free slicks and pads to make us feel wanted and valued as instructors. That’s why we instruct, at least in “your” region that’s why we do it. Has nothing to do with paying it forward, or other dumb chit like that.
Hell, just last weekend at Lightning, I kicked a couple of out region drivers in the nuts, just to let them know who was boss.
Don't forget access to the Chapter private jet.

Old 10-11-2022, 09:27 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Estoril
Don't forget access to the Chapter private jet.
Only the really big NNJR a$$holes get that, so I don’t qualify.
I’m working on it though…..
Old 10-11-2022, 10:06 PM
jfpell
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 42 Posts

Apparently some would be led to believe NNJR has a jumbo jet to accommodate all the a$$holes...they've always been a welcoming group to me.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:14 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,477 Posts

That’s not why we instruct Einstein, but then again, WTF does that have to do with self tech?
We instruct because it gives us the right to be condescending power hungry a$$hole douchebags, at least in “your” region anyway.
We also get to self tech, because we instructors have an inbred need to be better than everyone else. It’s how we get set up to become track chairs and region presidents.
They also give us instructors free slicks and pads to make us feel wanted and valued as instructors. That’s why we instruct, at least in “your” region that’s why we do it. Has nothing to do with paying it forward, or other dumb chit like that.
Hell, just last weekend at Lightning, I kicked a couple of out region drivers in the nuts, just to let them know who was boss.
Dude you have a serious attitude problem and clearly can not discuss anything as an adult. You also take every opportunity to twist my words into something I have not said to serve your own hateful purpose. Enough, bye bye.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 10-11-2022 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:29 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jfpell
Apparently some would be led to believe NNJR has a jumbo jet to accommodate all the a$$holes...they've always been a welcoming group to me.
NNJR? Welcoming? Say it ain’t so.
You sure you’re talking about PCA NNJR and not BMW NNJR?
Oh, and as for the Regions 747, only the power hungry North Jersey a$$holes who talk down to out of region folks get to ride that. I apparently qualify for a seat. You my friend do not. You need to change your welcoming ways or it’s nothing but commercial coach for you!!!
Old 10-11-2022, 10:30 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Dude you have a serious attitude problem and clearly can not discuss anything as an adult. You also take every opportunity to twist my words into something I have not said to serve your own hateful purpose. Enough, bye bye.
Play stoopid games, win stoopid prizes. That better champ?
Old 10-12-2022, 08:16 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 791 Posts

I don't know whether the sport is in trouble or not. I see conflicting signs, some of which say it is and some of which say it isn't. So I'd say it is unchanged in the aggregate. Regarding NNJR, I can only speak for my own personal experiences. Every time I have been brought in to coach or speak at an NNJR event at Watkins Glen or NJMP, they have been wonderful people. Very welcoming and very sarcastically funny, which is much appreciated from my point of view. Very much into the sport. I have always left with a big smile on my face, and would coach or speak at their events anytime!

Oh, and they always sent their jet for me every single time...

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 10-12-2022 at 08:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Veloce Raptor:
dan212 (10-12-2022), gbuff (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 08:40 AM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 317 Likes on 155 Posts

Taking this even further OT: I've always thought it was interesting that we don't need to submit a tech form for a race, but we do for a DE ...
Old 10-12-2022, 08:47 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts

I agree it’s hard to tell. There *are* more options. In New England a couple grass-roots orgs now have a lot more events that cater to a younger crowd, along withTNA, while the many track clubs and higher-end event organizers provide their own draw. I think I could list 20 organizations that can get me on the track and that’s counting all the PCA regions as one. Does PCA need to make changes to stay relevant?
Old 10-12-2022, 08:53 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 428 Likes on 240 Posts

All PCA and BMW regions and private track orgs that I run with (HOD, Chin, Trackmasters, etc.) were all down this year. All of them.
If they weren't down at the beginning of the season, they were surely down by the end of it. Most felt it all season long. Is what it is.

Lots of folks are in much worse economic shape than they were even just a year ago, let alone 2 years ago. Luxuries such as track days and travel have taken a back seat to necessities, like putting food on the table and paying utility bills, mortgages/rent, education, insurance premiums, etc.

The cost of fuel (towing to the track, used at the track, and towing home from the track) had a lot of people I know cutting down their track days, whether it be DE or racing. Everyone's attendance was down.

At the cost of taking this thread off topic, elections have consequences.....

Still waiting to hear about this "NNJR reputation!!
If you are looking for confirmation of a tarnished reputation, simply reach out to the mentor participants in the WGI Black run group on 8/27/22. The conduct of the officiating instructors was disgraceful. It was so bad that the head of the program had to issue an unconditional apology the next morning. While I am one to always accept an apology and let my thick skin shrug it off, not everyone is like me. In 9 years of participating in DE programs, I have never seen more angry folks in one run group. This kind of encounter does not help to maintain or build a reputation. Just my 2c.

Last edited by 991carreradriver; 10-12-2022 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:07 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
If you are looking for confirmation of a tarnished reputation, simply reach out to the mentor participants in the WGI Black run group on 8/27/22. The conduct of the officiating instructors was disgraceful. It was so bad that the head of the program had to issue an unconditional apology the next morning. While I am one to always accept an apology and let my thick skin shrug it off, not everyone is like me. In 9 years of participating in DE programs, I have never seen more angry folks in one run group. This kind of encounter does not help to maintain or build a reputation. Just my 2c.
Please elaborate on what happened
Old 10-12-2022, 09:27 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,917 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I don't know whether the sport is in trouble or not. I see conflicting signs, some of which say it is and some of which say it isn't. So I'd say it is unchanged in the aggregate. Regarding NNJR, I can only speak for my own personal experiences. Every time I have been brought in to coach or speak at an NNJR event at Watkins Glen or NJMP, they have been wonderful people. Very welcoming and very sarcastically funny, which is much appreciated from my point of view. Very much into the sport. I have always left with a big smile on my face, and would coach or speak at their events anytime!
Agreed. I think one of the great things about NNJR is the history of the Region and their commitment not only to develop their instructor corps, but their student base as well. Agree wholeheartedly with VR’s personal experiences (I just Zoom, not fly ) with this terrific group of folks.

Originally Posted by Difool
I agree it’s hard to tell. There *are* more options. In New England a couple grass-roots orgs now have a lot more events that cater to a younger crowd, along withTNA, while the many track clubs and higher-end event organizers provide their own draw. I think I could list 20 organizations that can get me on the track and that’s counting all the PCA regions as one. Does PCA need to make changes to stay relevant?
^^THIS is the crux, IMO, that gives rise to the OP’s question.^^

Just a lot more choices, so the total number is not down, just more scattered.

I must be hanging around with the right crowd, because I’m still seeing good turnouts for most events at VIR, even new ones with no history.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
ANGST (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 10:00 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I was at that meeting, and yes, not good. Never see that before and never saw it again, but it was terrible. Not sure what caused that and it should have never happened. If I was new to NNJR and was at that meeting, I’d probably never come back.
It was awful and should have never happened. Not sure what caused it, but I’ve done a hundred NNJR events and never saw that before. Agree, was a terrible way to be talked to. To me, that’s a one off, but I haven’t been around forever, but I never saw that before and haven’t seen it since.
You are 100% correct. It was awful.
That being said, if that’s what’s causing the so called “bad” reputation, then that reputation is about a month old.
There was no excuse for that, but it was one isolated incident. Not sure anyone was more pissed off than I was after that meeting.
Shoulda never happened. You are correct, but I would hardly call that a reputation. My .02.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:00 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Oh, and they always sent their jet for me every single time...
Have to agree, even as an "outsider" (i.e. non-Porsche driver)...have driven with them for years at WGI and Mid-Ohio and they bust my *** as if I was family and readily pay me compliments even when I don't deserve them
Old 10-12-2022, 10:02 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbuff
Have to agree, even as an "outsider" (i.e. non-Porsche driver)...have driven with them for years at WGI and Mid-Ohio and they bust my *** as if I was family and readily pay me compliments even when I don't deserve them
I just want you to keep coming back so I’m not the slowest car out there.

Quick Reply: Is the sport in trouble